Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

25 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Just presenting. Feels a little like studio fuckery to leverage a hard timeline like that. But also could be something good. I don't know.

Yeah the wording is annoying with “nearing a deal, but if not tomorrow nothing until next year.” Why? That sounds ultimatum-ish which doesn’t seem great. 

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

The second best thing we can hear is the infamous "progress is being made, but hurdles remain" soft rumormongering as that could mean progress is being made but it also could be an attempt to get one side or the other to shit or get off the pot which could easily backfire in a tense moment like this.

This is not my first trip at the (labor) rodeo, folks...

(probably a tempest in a teapot)

((PROBABLY))

I have seen a lot of people convinced that if this happens the sag strike will be settled within a week, and people on Twitter need a dose of reality.

The sag want an 11 percent increase to minimums in the first year and a 2 percent revenue share, these demands are more extreme to the ceos than the writers demands and they have yet to begin negotiations.

So even if by some miracle the writers strike is resolved tomorrow the actors are still far behind.

So things are going to be bad for the foreseeable future, especially if the wga get their provisions that their not working if  a strike is ongoing with a sister union, no one is going to be working for a while.

People online are just so reactionary and its honestly a bit tiring.

41 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

I have seen a lot of people convinced that if this happens the sag strike will be settled within a week, and people on Twitter need a dose of reality.

The sag want an 11 percent increase to minimums in the first year and a 2 percent revenue share, these demands are more extreme to the ceos than the writers demands and they have yet to begin negotiations.

So even if by some miracle the writers strike is resolved tomorrow the actors are still far behind.

So things are going to be bad for the foreseeable future, especially if the wga get their provisions that their not working if  a strike is ongoing with a sister union, no one is going to be working for a while.

People online are just so reactionary and its honestly a bit tiring.

They're 100% not gonna get that in any sort of way lol That honest to god seems like something they added expecting it to be removed. I don't even think it's legal.

Edited by 21C

26 minutes ago, 21C said:

They're 100% not gonna get that in any sort of way lol That honest to god seems like something they added expecting it to be removed. I don't even think it's legal.

That may be, but it's doing to take some time to get it all sorted it's not as automatic as oh the wga got a deal, now the sag have a deal like some people think.

3 hours ago, 21C said:

Once you have 2/3 of the major entertainment unions sorted, SAG becomes the outlier and thus puts pressure to get a deal done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Here's the thing about the WGA negotiators - from the very start they have said they won't negotiate through the press and all communication will come from official channels. And they have stuck to that, pretty detailed minutes and offers/counteroffers. So any detail which leaks to the press comes from the AMPTP and their PR firms.

• Like 2

If a deal is reached any time soon, I think it'll be a bad one for the writers. AMPTP are nowhere near the point of desperation yet. 

A good deal for the writers requires a root and branch change to how the studios report the success or otherwise of the shows they are producing. This has massive implications for their share prices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Here's the thing about the WGA negotiators - from the very start they have said they won't negotiate through the press and all communication will come from official channels. And they have stuck to that, pretty detailed minutes and offers/counteroffers. So any detail which leaks to the press comes from the AMPTP and their PR firms.

I mean the wga released to the press details from their negotiations when they first started the strike, they released a table on all their asks and what the studios countered with so I dont think that is true at all, also their article where they said the amptp is close to breaking please break up and negotiate individual deals with us, so I dont think that's true at all, i consider that negotiating through the trades as they were basically publicly stating please negotiate with us individually, I consider that public negotiations. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Once you have 2/3 of the major entertainment unions sorted, SAG becomes the outlier and thus puts pressure to get a deal done. 

All depends how serious they are at one point wga wanted a provision that said they can respect picket lines and not work, if that happens sag wont feel so much pressure the question is though will individuals follow that if their not striking but they still wont get paid?

49 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

All depends how serious they are at one point wga wanted a provision that said they can respect picket lines and not work, if that happens sag wont feel so much pressure the question is though will individuals follow that if their not striking but they still wont get paid?

I'm pretty sure that provision is one of the things that won't happen if the WGA and AMPTP reach a deal today. The AMPTP isn't reaching a deal so the WGA will continue on solidarity strike.

Not to mention that many WGA members seem to really want to get back to work.

Edited by Kon

“The companies have agreed to one of the union’s major demands, additional payments for the success of TV shows on streaming services. Another major request by the union, minimum staffing levels for writers, is still in dispute.”

Edited by dobrevv
  • Like 3