Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

Having clear cut villains in the narrative helps drum up support, it doesn't hurt it. Yes, Zaslav isn't the only evil exec but he definitely is one. People don't know what they're standing for if they don't have a focal point to channel their rage at.

He wasn't even the worst one during the strike though, that's why it's stupid to keep singling him out as if the others are any different or better somehow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I really really don't fucking care if anyone thinks I don't hate each exec the appropriate amount. I hate Zaslav the most, deal with it.

Sure. You could hate whathever exec you want.

That said, people could still comment how weird is to focus so much in one especific exec when it's about strike topic. Deal with it.

• Like 4

Moderation

@ChipDerby @21C and everybody who this also does this whole "oh woe is me, why are people so mean specifically to Zaslav" schtick, just stop. We're done with this "why aren't the other CEOs getting singled out" nonsense. If you actually pay attention and read this forum, you would know that other CEOs have also been singled out and criticized. If anything, there's plenty of posters here whose entire personality is "grr Disney bad", and that has been their personality for years now. This weird issue you have over people being mean towards Zaslav specifically does not offer any positive contributions to this forum.

If you don't like the idea of an asshole executive getting called out specifically, an asshole executive whose only contribution to this world is giving us Honey Boo Boo, an asshole executive who is proudly anti-art and took down tons of people's hard works for quick bucks, an asshole executive who encouraged other asshole executives to be anti-art and take down tons of people's hard works for a quick buck, an asshole executive who has a net worth of $400 million, then just ignore these posts, or find another website that suits your fancy. Because this isn't funny anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Eric the Creator said:

Moderation

@ChipDerby @21C and everybody who this also does this whole "oh woe is me, why are people so mean specifically to Zaslav" schtick, just stop. We're done with this "why aren't the other CEOs getting singled out" nonsense. If you actually pay attention and read this forum, you would know that other CEOs have also been singled out and criticized. If anything, there's plenty of posters here whose entire personality is "grr Disney bad", and that has been their personality for years now. This weird issue you have over people being mean towards Zaslav specifically does not offer any positive contributions to this forum.

If you don't like the idea of an asshole executive getting called out specifically, an asshole executive whose only contribution to this world is giving us Honey Boo Boo, an asshole executive who is proudly anti-art and took down tons of people's hard works for quick bucks, an asshole executive who encouraged other asshole executives to be anti-art and take down tons of people's hard works for a quick buck, an asshole executive who has a net worth of $400 million, then just ignore these posts, or find another website that suits your fancy. Because this isn't funny anymore.

I wasn't talking about the people that have singled out other execs as well, I was speaking in general terms talking about the dude here in this thread that admitted to singling out Zaslav for some reason, as well as a general trend I've seen on twitter and other places of specifically singling him out. I'm fine with him being called an asshole, I just think it's weird to pretend he is particularly egregious compared to the other assholes. They're CEOs of billion dollar companies, they're all assholes. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, 21C said:

I wasn't talking about the people that have singled out other execs as well, I was speaking in general terms talking about the dude here in this thread that admitted to singling out Zaslav for some reason, as well as a general trend I've seen on twitter and other places of specifically singling him out. I'm fine with him being called an asshole, I just think it's weird to pretend he is particularly egregious compared to the other assholes. They're CEOs of billion dollar companies, they're all assholes. 

Well like I said, you can ignore AniNate's posts, alongside people on Twitter and other places. As I said before, this isn't productive, isn't leading anywhere fruitful, offers nothing of value to the conversation, and is only forcing this thread to run around in circles. This is your last warning. Continue this, and you will see a 24 hour threadban coming your way. It's your choice if you want to ignore me or not. But if you do want to ignore me, you know the repercussions.

1 hour ago, Eric the Creator said:

Moderation

I'm pretty sure that isn't what users were trying to say.

That said, as a member of this forum, I will learn to accept that moderators can twist our words for the sake of their arguments and warnings.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eric the Creator said:

Well like I said, you can ignore AniNate's posts, alongside people on Twitter and other places. As I said before, this isn't productive, isn't leading anywhere fruitful, offers nothing of value to the conversation, and is only forcing this thread to run around in circles. This is your last warning. Continue this, and you will see a 24 hour threadban coming your way. It's your choice if you want to ignore me or not. But if you do want to ignore me, you know the repercussions.

Really bizarre to send a ban threat over this. It's not even remotely "trolling", it's just an honest disagreement. But I'll leave the topic mostly because I've already made my point. 

• Like 1

This does not mean there is currently a video game strike.  This does mean if a contract isn't reached, then the SAG-AFTRA board can call one:

Full presser:

SAG-AFTRA members have voted 98.32% in favor of a strike authorization on the Interactive Media Agreement that covers members’ work on video games. 34,687 members cast ballots, representing a voting percentage of 27.47% of eligible voters.

The strike authorization does not mean the union is calling a strike. SAG-AFTRA has been in Interactive Media Agreement negotiations with signatory video game companies (Activision Productions Inc, Blindlight LLC, Disney Character Voices Inc., Electronic Arts Productions Inc., Formosa Interactive LLC, Insomniac Games Inc., Epic Games, Take 2 Productions Inc., VoiceWorks Productions Inc., and WB Games Inc.) since October 2022. Throughout the negotiations, the companies have refused to offer acceptable terms on some of the issues most critical to our members, including wages that keep up with inflation, protections around exploitative uses of artificial intelligence, and basic safety precautions. The next bargaining session is scheduled for Sept. 26, 27 and 28, and we hope the added leverage of a successful strike authorization vote will compel the companies to make significant movement on critical issues where we are still far apart.

“It’s time for the video game companies to stop playing games and get serious about reaching an agreement on this contract,” said SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher. “The result of this vote shows our membership understands the existential nature of these negotiations, and that the time is now for these companies — which are making billions of dollars and paying their CEOs lavishly — to give our performers an agreement that keeps performing in video games as a viable career.”

“After five rounds of bargaining, it has become abundantly clear that the video game companies aren’t willing to meaningfully engage on the critical issues: compensation undercut by inflation, unregulated use of AI and safety,” said SAG-AFTRA National Executive Director and Chief Negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland. “I remain hopeful that we will be able to reach an agreement that meets members’ needs, but our members are done being exploited, and if these corporations aren’t willing to offer a fair deal, our next stop will be the picket lines.” 

“Between the exploitative uses of AI and lagging wages, those who work in video games are facing many of the same issues as those who work in film and television,” said Chief Contracts Officer Ray Rodriguez. “This strike authorization makes an emphatic statement that we must reach an agreement that will fairly compensate these talented performers, provide common-sense safety measures, and allow them to work with dignity. Our members’ livelihoods depend on it.”

The strike authorization vote was initiated on the unanimous recommendation of the SAG-AFTRA Interactive Media Agreement Negotiating Committee and National Board. Voting information was sent to eligible members on Sept. 5, and the final deadline to vote was today at 5 p.m. PT.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

50 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This does not mean there is currently a video game strike.  This does mean if a contract isn't reached, then the SAG-AFTRA board can call one:

Full presser:

It's so fucked up when companies that make millions (and billions collectively) don't wanna give their employees even the bare minimum of covering annual inflation. It makes it so obvious how little they actually care about the people actually involved with making their products and how little they care for the products they make.

It's self-destructive behavior in the name of making some quick bucks. The end-game for unregulated capitalism is bonkers.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

The reason people single out Zaslav is his series of terrible decisions, like randomly rebranding max for no reason and kicking off the awful trend of writing things off after Batgirl.

It wasnt for no reason calling it hbo max was a terrible decision everyone thought that the shows were all made by HBO, there were like 30 posts about hbo having lost their way by making velma, calling it hbo max diluted the hbo brand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

It's so fucked up when companies that make millions (and billions collectively) don't wanna give their employees even the bare minimum of covering annual inflation. It makes it so obvious how little they actually care about the people actually involved with making their products and how little they care for the products they make.

It's self-destructive behavior in the name of making some quick bucks. The end-game for unregulated capitalism is bonkers.

Yeah, this won't go well for sag their last strike lasted 11 months because their just not needed in video games and the development of games can last years.

6 hours ago, darkangelfire said:

It wasnt for no reason calling it hbo max was a terrible decision everyone thought that the shows were all made by HBO, there were like 30 posts about hbo having lost their way by making velma, calling it hbo max diluted the hbo brand

This is true. As the streaming was called HBO Max, many people were thinking Max Originals were created by HBO.

Not sure if this is true, but I've read the idea to change the name was from HBO creatives itself since they want to preserve the brand reputation.

Edited by Kon

9 hours ago, darkangelfire said:

That was also a bad decision, but just literally creating a new app so that they can add Discovery content to it was also bad.

EXCLUSIVE: As the WGA leadership and members move forward on the scribes’ tentative agreement with the studios and streamers, the 160,000-strong actors union could be sitting down with the AMPTP within days.

Riding the momentum that has hit Hollywood since the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers struck a deal on September 24, SAG-AFTRA leaders have penciled in meetings with the Carol Lombardini-led group by the end of next week, we hear.

• Like 1