Eric the IF

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have it on very good authority that several prominent fall films, most especially the Marvels, have incomplete ADR and are NOT completed films - if the SAG strike doesn't end by mid-October, more delays will happen (unless they use AI which would destroy negotiations). This source has been the scooper for accurate things I've posted in past. Take it for what you will. They stress what Tele has said as well - we vastly underestimate how much of a movie, especially a big blockbuster, is still having work done close to release, so delays remain possible beyond just the promotion element.

I 100 percent buy this, ftr.  I've been harping on ADR in particular for months (if off and on), so all of this rings true.

Instead of AI they might try to get soundalike scabs for where they could, but that'd be just as ruinous to negotiations as AI would be.

As a piece of supporting evidence, I'm not at all surprised that the upcoming SW D+ show Skeleton Crew has shifted to an unscheduled release despite filming being finished before the actors strike started.  Was soft-penciled for this coming December.  Now is a gigantic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

In the case of The Marvels, do think Disney is gonna try to move heaven and earth to have it hit its current date, strike or no strike.  But also does suggest a plausible reason as for why they haven't moved it up a week (beyond other logistical concerns like synergy with Loki in D+)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I 100 percent buy this, ftr.  I've been harping on ADR in particular for months (if off and on), so all of this rings true.

Instead of AI they might try to get soundalike scabs for where they could, but that'd be just as ruinous to negotiations as AI would be.

As a piece of supporting evidence, I'm not at all surprised that the upcoming SW D+ show Skeleton Crew has shifted to an unscheduled release despite filming being finished before the actors strike started.  Was soft-penciled for this coming December.  Now is a gigantic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

In the case of The Marvels, do think Disney is gonna try to move heaven and earth to have it hit its current date, strike or no strike.  But also does suggest a plausible reason as for why they haven't moved it up a week (beyond other logistical concerns like synergy with Loki in D+)

They already delayed Marvels once, will not do it again.

You already had one piece of wierdness because of the release date chaning when last month all the Marvles Mrechandise and Tie Ins hit the McDOnald's restaurants.

For folks who want a much much much less pro-AMPTP look at "how the deal happened"/"why did it take so long to make a deal", I'd suggest taking a look at this article from the Los Angeles Times which just dropped:

False starts, secret talks: Insiders tell how the writers’ strike ended with ‘Let’s make a deal’ (LAT)

For one thing, it liberally quotes directly from WGA negotiators.  For two it does reference that infamous.... "Let them eat cake" faux paus from the AMPTP, among other things.

Not even sure there's anything in there I'd point to as anti-union, for that matter.  Though admittedly I'm not as sensitive to the matter as others.

To put it another way, in broad strokes it covers some of the same things that the THR article a couple of days ago did, but without the undercurrent of editorializing or mythologizing of Hollywood moguls.

Be interested to see if I'm alone in reading this article in the way I am.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

If we take the following quote as a, if cheeky, guideline:

And factor in the prior discussion days, then maybe about a week, week-and-a-half of serious/intensive negotiations.

Might depend on how much the AMPTP is looking to "claw back" (to paraphrase what @Cmasterclay said) or if they, collectively, just want to get this all over with.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If we take the following quote as a, if cheeky, guideline:

And factor in the prior discussion days, then maybe about a week, week-and-a-half of serious/intensive negotiations.

Might depend on how much the AMPTP is looking to "claw back" (to paraphrase what @Cmasterclay said) or if they, collectively, just want to get this all over with.

I think it's the latter. Even if the specific issues are different, a lot of the topics involved (residuals, AI concerns) are similar, so I can't imagine any point in posturing over a fight.

39 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Monday! Sooner the better.

The AMPTP will likely offfer 5%/4%/3.5% raises and 76% foreign residual increase, since WGA and DGA have the same increases in their contracts.

We could suppose in residual aspects, AMPTP will offer similar conditions to the SAG than they offered the WGA. It will be interesting to know if the SAG likes these benefits.

The SAG's issues with AI are different from WGA's. However, I assume the AMPTP is ready to offer the SAG real protections from AI, since they offered these to WGA.

Edited by Kon

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I think it's the latter. Even if the specific issues are different, a lot of the topics involved (residuals, AI concerns) are similar, so I can't imagine any point in posturing over a fight.

It depends a lot on whether SAG will like the residuals model that the WGA and AMPTP came up with.

2 hours ago, 21C said:

It depends a lot on whether SAG will like the residuals model that the WGA and AMPTP came up with.

Especially since sag was pushing for a 2 percent revenue sharing scheme, sag also wanted increases to minimum.s of 11 percent in the first year, wga were only ever asking for 6 percent in the first year. 

I hope I am wrong but I dont see this as some quick and easy deal.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

Especially since sag was pushing for a 2 percent revenue sharing scheme, sag also wanted increases to minimum.s of 11 percent in the first year, wga were only ever asking for 6 percent in the first year. 

I hope I am wrong but I dont see this as some quick and easy deal.

Yeah I kinda wouldn't be surprised if SAG is maybe a bit pissed at the WGA right now because in a way they absolutely screwed over SAG's potential residual scheme. 

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Even AMPTP knew this whole strike had run its course and that it was officially time to wrap things up for a deal once we turned to making Drew Barrymore, of all people, into The Villain with the #1 reason being "the fun of it" (all the more apparent in retrospect).

Umm, scabbing is scabbing in its various forms. Barrymore's critics were completely justified in dragging her. Of course, social media being social media, I'm sure trolls overdid it but that is the case for every issue on the planet. People who brought up valid concerns were completely in the right. It isn't just "for the fun of it" when people's livelihoods are in danger of being erased. 

Also why would soulless execs give a fuck about Drew lol

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 5