Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Just now, Speedorito said:

Which 2023 movies do you think will get pushed back? FNAF won’t if they’re doing day and date, and The Marvels tickets are already in sale.

Anyone But You is the most obvious of any potential remaining 2023 delays. No promo materials of any kind exactly two months away and even if the strike ends next week, Glen Powell would be too busy finishing Twisters (which is reportedly 50% filmed) to do much, if any, promo for it unless they have Sydney Sweeney promoting her new romcom solo.

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Wasn't there a rumour that even The Marvels could be affected because of ADR work not being complete? It could follow in No Time to Die's footsteps and get pushed off despite tickets being up.

Fortunately it hasn't sold any tickets yet and is on track to make $0, so they can delay it with no loss!

• Haha 4

Everything that is currently scheduled for next year but hadn't begun filming anything yet is likely headed off to 2025. I would bet on stuff like Despicable Me 4 (would clean up with families over the holidays) and Venom 3 being pushed to dates in Q4.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Wasn't there a rumour that even The Marvels could be affected because of ADR work not being complete? It could follow in No Time to Die's footsteps and get pushed off despite tickets being up.

Even with Marvels underwhelming sales, it still sold a few million dollars worth of tickets that they don't want to refund, unlike something like Gran Turismo, which sold nothing. If they were considering delaying it they would have put off ticket sales to the last minute.

Perhaps they just release incomplete movie into theaters or do some last-minute cuts. I don't see what other options they have, as using AI would destroy negotiations, and hiring scabs would too.

Edited by Bob Train

They're probably just going to cut around any unfinished ADR in Marvels tbh. Doesn't seem like it's headed to a big commercial or critical hit so just get it done with I suppose. If Aquaman is still being assembled as all the reports say that would be tougher!!!

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 21C said:

I think that the WGA not getting a residual model/revenue sharing model even remotely close to what SAG was asking pretty much dooms the entire negotiation process. It's gonna be really, really tricky to resolve. 

TBH expected these kind of slumps just like with WGA, this will likely be resolved by the end of the month, that's always been my prediction.

Wait till SAG though don't believe Deadline they're a puppet of the AMPTP

Edited by Cappoedameron

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wonka and Napoleon I'd say. Maybe Color Purple. Hunger Games seems to be full steam ahead with ticket sale date and all.

Wonka is coming out with a trailer tomorrow. Plus It’s a holiday film so I doubt it.

Edited by babz06

Yeah, I wouldn't sound the alarm on this being dragged on endlessly just yet. Even the WGA strike looked like it might not have concluded when it did for a moment. Whatever upcoming movie delays we're about to see will be happening regardless now that the schedule has a hole that takes up at least 1/4 of a calendar year (if not more) in it.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

They're probably just going to cut around any unfinished ADR in Marvels tbh. Doesn't seem like it's headed to a big commercial or critical hit so just get it done with I suppose. If Aquaman is still being assembled as all the reports say that would be tougher!!!

Good point. And as we've been told today Marvel has far bigger issues to deal with, so I can honestly see them just sending The Marvels out to die and focus on fixing what they can for the sake of their long term future.

Even if a contract is agreed upon, it still takes 2 weeks for ratification and only then can everyone return to work. So the earliest acting work can begin if a contract happens this week will be almost November 1, and this includes things like promotions. I'm guessing things will be worked out within the next couple of weeks and all actors will be back around Thanksgiving just in time for Hollywood to go on a 6 week vacation till the new year.

Just now, grim22 said:

Even if a contract is agreed upon, it still takes 2 weeks for ratification and only then can everyone return to work. So the earliest acting work can begin if a contract happens this week will be almost November 1, and this includes things like promotions. I'm guessing things will be worked out within the next couple of weeks and all actors will be back around Thanksgiving just in time for Hollywood to go on a 6 week vacation till the new year.

??????????????????

Did you forget the fact that the WGA lifted the strike before the ratification and literally 2 days after they agreed upon the deal?  SAG is likely to follow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Either that or splice together enough useable audio from alternate takes/run it through some computer processing software to make it useable.

Where the line between "AI generated speech" begins and "heavily computerized processed sound to 'clean it up'" ends is one I'm glad I'm not involved in.

(also could use Sound Alike Scabs and hope they don't get caught, but that's a whole other discussion)

===

FWIW, one of the main worries I have about the quality of The Marvels is if it is chopped up edited in an — unusual?  noticeable?  detectable?  choose whatever word one wants — to get around ADR issues.

But lengthy discussions of that probably is better suited for that thread. (ick)

Edited by Porthos

27 minutes ago, 21C said:

??????????????????

Did you forget the fact that the WGA lifted the strike before the ratification and literally 2 days after they agreed upon the deal?  SAG is likely to follow.

They only lifted it for the late night shows and talk shows. Normal staffing only resumed after ratification. 

Marvels aint moving at this point. If the studio wanted to consider that, they would have delayed ticket sales and marketing. 

Aquabro 2 also wont move. They are better off getting the DCEU over with rather than prolong the drama for another few months. But Wonka and Color Purple will move if that makes perfect sense. If some of the big releases of May/June moves, we could see something like Dune take those spot from March. 

I am with @grim22 that they will get it done before Thanksgiving. No studio wants this hanging over their head during the holidays. 

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They only lifted it for the late night shows and talk shows. Normal staffing only resumed after ratification. 

False. Strike ended on Sept 26 everyone could return back to work.

Edited by babz06

9 minutes ago, babz06 said:

False. Strike ended on Sept 26 everyone could return back to work.

Read the actual contract - it only applied to pre-strike contracts. New contract work only started post ratification

Any striking writer who, prior to the strike period, was employed by a Company on a project or show (“show”) shall be returned to such employment upon termination of the strike, provided that writing services continue to be performed for the show. The Company shall be under no obligation to return a writer to employment on a show that has been: (1) abandoned; or (2) completed; or (3) cancelled; or (4) for which additional (or new) episodes are not being produced and for which writing services are no longer to be performed on the episodes which are not being produced. When the size of a writing staff for a show has been reduced for business reasons, the Company shall have discretion as to which writers to return, subject to obligations under writers’ personal service agreements (“PSAs”). Provided, however that no replacement writer hired during the strike period shall be retained on a show over a striking writer who offers to return to work on the same show on which he or she was employed when the strike began. Nothing in this Agreement shall expand or diminish the right of a Company to fulfill any reinstatement obligations under this Agreement by the payment of compensation under a writer’s PSA. In other words, this Agreement does not change a Company’s pay-or-play rights under a writer’s PSA.

Extension of Contract Periods The PSAs of striking writers are deemed automatically suspended during the strike period by operation of Article 7 of the MBA. This Agreement shall not require any Company to extend the PSA of a striking writer except as follows. The Company shall extend the PSA of a writer who: (a) was working on a show at the time the strike began; and (b) the show remains in production after the strike period; and (c) the PSA expired by its terms during the strike period (but not after September 26, 2023) or a regular notice or option date occurred during the strike period, (but not after September 26, 2023) and the Company exercised its right of termination under the PSA. In such event, the Company will, after the strike period, extend the PSA for a period equal to the portion of the contract term that elapsed during the strike period. As an illustration, if a writer had six weeks remaining on his contract term on the first day of the strike period, the PSA will be extended by six weeks after the strike period. By contrast, if the PSA did not expire during the strike period, or if the Company’s termination option was not exercised during the strike period, any extension (and the length of the extension) of the PSA following the strike period is at the Company’s sole discretion. As provided above, nothing herein affects the Company’s pay-or-play rights under a writer’s PSA.

The new contract stuff could only start post the ratification work last week.

28 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Marvels aint moving at this point. If the studio wanted to consider that, they would have delayed ticket sales and marketing. 

Aquabro 2 also wont move. They are better off getting the DCEU over with rather than prolong the drama for another few months. But Wonka and Color Purple will move if that makes perfect sense. If some of the big releases of May/June moves, we could see something like Dune take those spot from March. 

I am with @grim22 that they will get it done before Thanksgiving. No studio wants this hanging over their head during the holidays. 

Yeah. Almost no chance this isn't sorted before the holiday stretch. 

• Like 1