Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Studios are starting to date smaller projects for release dates in the upcoming months. Focus just dated Diablo Cody's Lisa Frankenstein for the same February 9 date that Sony's It Ends With Us with Blake Lively is still set for even though it's one of the projects where filming on it has stalled because of the strikes (given that the marketing materials just released for it only say "Coming Soon" on them I would bet on Sony pushing Anyone But You to Valentine's Day and sending both It Ends With Us and Madame Web to later dates). The Bad News Friday drops are coming over the next couple of weeks - heck, we might get one today! It's only 10:45 in the morning LA time.

See that backs up with what I just said up above. They are perfectly okay with waiting out SAG. Hey Movie fans who are excited about that movie coming out in 2024. F You we will give it to you when we feel like it and you will see it then anway. We can do whatever the hell we want. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

There's a difference between waiting a few weeks compared to a few months. I am more inclined towards a few weeks only because both sides are at the tail end of resolve. 

Also, the other unions are now breathing down the necks of the execs to resolve the one thing that's holding up getting everything back into motion. Sometimes all you need is a little extra pressure from third parties.

• Like 1

This smells more like that short term blowup in the WGA talks than the longer term blowup that started the SAG strike back in July. 

Not sayin' it will happen, but could see talks resuming again next week or within 10 days or so after a bit of a cooling off period.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This smells more like that short term blowup in the WGA talks than the longer term blowup that started the SAG strike back in July. 

Not sayin' it will happen, but could see talks resuming again next week or within 10 days or so after a bit of a cooling off period.

That's my gut feeling too

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I do think they should have the talks at a location that isn't the AMPTP offices or the SGA offices and none of this day on, day off business. To me, the lack of urgency from both sides needs to go. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well there doesn't appear to have been much of a "bad news drop" today, not that I think it would've meant anything regardless.

THINK THAT WAS COVERED PRETTY WELL YESTERDAY!!!!

(the real tell will be what happens on Monday or Tuesday and if there is any behind the scenes maneuvering during the weekend to get talks back up and running again)

Edited by Porthos

Getting up and leaving is a tried-and-true negotiating tactic. Worked for WGA, and will probably work for AMPTP here.

I was on WGA's side in their strike, but I'm leaning AMPTP on this one. SAG's ask is borderline insane on the streaming fees. I think it'll be incumbent upon SAG to climb down a bit on that one before AMPTP comes back to the table. How soon they do that is anyone's giuess.

11 hours ago, AniNate said:

Well there doesn't appear to have been much of a "bad news drop" today, not that I think it would've meant anything regardless.

Anyone But You did move its date back! But only by a week (probably to avoid semi-direct competition with Wonka for young females). Christmas weekend actually has a full slate of movies this year (Aquaman 2, Migration, The Color Purple, Anyone But You, The Iron Claw, Ferrari, likely the wide expansion for Poor Things) so theaters won't be hurting for content this holiday season.

Alright, after reading the tenor of various things over the weekend (esp Sat), I'm a lot less optimistic than I was entering the weekend.  Feels a lot like the August blowup where it's a serious breakdown in negotiations than a hiccup that required a short amount of cooling off.  In the immediate aftermath of talks breaking down it wasn't clear which it was (or at least I felt it was premature to conclude), but a whoooole lot of similar press stories came out over this weekend that felt similar to the ones that came out in August (in tone at least, if not substance).

See how things look on Monday or Tuesday after folks have had the chance to let emotions settle a bit over the weekend and if there is a renewed effort to getting things back on track, but guessing this is gonna be on the "talks suspended for a while" side of things.  Unfortunately.

Not sure where I'd put the over/under line at the moment.  Do think the danger line is around Thanksgiving for the numerous reasons given before. 

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Alright, after reading the tenor of various things over the weekend (esp Sat), I'm a lot less optimistic than I was entering the weekend.  Feels a lot like the August blowup where it's a serious breakdown in negotiations than a hiccup that required a short amount of cooling off.  In the immediate aftermath of talks breaking down it wasn't clear which it was (or at least I felt it was premature to conclude), but a whoooole lot of similar press stories came out over this weekend that felt similar to the ones that came out in August (in tone at least, if not substance).

See how things look on Monday or Tuesday after folks have had the chance to let emotions settle a bit over the weekend and if there is a renewed effort to getting things back on track, but guessing this is gonna be on the "talks suspended for a while" side of things.  Unfortunately.

Not sure where I'd put the over/under line at the moment.  Do think the danger line is around Thanksgiving for the numerous reasons given before. 

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

So depressing if true. . Next year is going to be such a cluster F for movies. Can't even get exited about anything.  Covid delays were almost preferable because they had no choice due to closed movie theaters due to health guidelines.  This time there will be open theaters with at some point not much to play because of this bullshit. 

Huge segments of the industry do not have any work right now, it seems completely untenable to the point of evilness for this to continue through the holidays. I also don't really buy that people will just be content to take many weeks off from negotiation because the holidays are approaching. There's going to be EXTREME pressure to solve it before the new year. Thanksgiving may be touch and go for a solution, but no solution by the end of the year is too ridiculous to believe.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

So depressing if true. . Next year is going to be such a cluster F for movies. Can't even get exited about anything.  Covid delays were almost preferable because they had no choice due to closed movie theaters due to health guidelines.  This time there will be open theaters with at some point not much to play because of this bullshit. 

I do think you need calm down a little, it will get resolved.