Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

Considering how ridiculously packed March is and being a couple of months away, I imagine some of those movies will begin shifting their dates. Who knows, maybe A Quiet Place: Day One will open summer now, Part 2 more or less did during COVID recovery in 2021.

Just now, filmlover said:

Considering how ridiculously packed March is and being a couple of months away, I imagine some of those movies will begin shifting their dates. Who knows, maybe A Quiet Place: Day One will open summer now, Part 2 more or less did during COVID recovery in 2021.

I'd move The Fall Guy to June or July, Snow White to May, Mickey 17 to August to name three example A lot of films which are either undated or close to wrapping and not due to much later like Beetlejuice and Juror Number 2 can remain where they are. 

SAG leadership is screwed now lol Their supposed unity is now broken. They could've used this proposal to their advantage but instead it seems they scoffed at it. Now the studios smell blood in the water and they'll pounce on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I'd move The Fall Guy to June or July, Snow White to May, Mickey 17 to August to name three example A lot of films which are either undated or close to wrapping and not due to much later like Beetlejuice and Juror Number 2 can remain where they are. 

The Fall Guy moving to summer was my first thought as well. Try and hope that Barbenheimer magic extends to next year thanks to the Gosling/Blunt combo + Universal's gonna need something next summer since Twisters is obviously not making that late July date.

43 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Well there goes that shit

It probably sets a bad precedent to have the actors kicking in money that the SAG committee really wants the studios to pay. The expectation going forward would be for actors to put up that amount, or more, with each new contract. Then with other unions, the AMPTP could tell them to do the same as SAG, but nobody in IATSE has Tyler Perry, George Clooney money.

Maybe there will be time for the A-listers to do a full out version of The Californians or another daytime soap, those shows used to be broadcast live way back in the day, very quick turnaround times are possible.

55 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It probably sets a bad precedent to have the actors kicking in money that the SAG committee really wants the studios to pay. The expectation going forward would be for actors to put up that amount, or more, with each new contract. Then with other unions, the AMPTP could tell them to do the same as SAG, but nobody in IATSE has Tyler Perry, George Clooney money.

Maybe there will be time for the A-listers to do a full out version of The Californians or another daytime soap, those shows used to be broadcast live way back in the day, very quick turnaround times are possible.

IATSE won't be asking for a revenue cut of streaming services so they don't have to worry about that. 

It is both fully possible that SAG demands are totally reasonable because the actors deserve a fair pay structure to compensate them for the fruits that their hard work and labor produces, and that studios cannot afford it because the fruits ("viewers") no longer produce any actual money for them under streaming and its insane economic model. Almost like it's a pandora's box and there is no easy way to fix it! 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It is both fully possible that SAG demands are totally reasonable because the actors deserve a fair pay structure to compensate them for the fruits that their hard work and labor produces, and that studios cannot afford it because the fruits ("viewers") no longer produce any actual money for them under streaming and its insane economic model. Almost like it's a pandora's box and there is no easy way to fix it! 

And why they need creative solutions like the one Clooney proposed and SAG seemingly spat upon.

9 minutes ago, 21C said:

And why they need creative solutions like the one Clooney proposed and SAG seemingly spat upon.

Well, I wouldn't be too quick to reguritate the EmpireCity "Fran and Duncan!" language about SAG without being privy to the negotiations or what the issues were tbh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Well, I wouldn't be too quick to reguritate the EmpireCity "Fran and Duncan!" language about SAG without being privy to the negotiations or what the issues were tbh.

Clooney himself made public what their proposals were.

4 minutes ago, 21C said:

Clooney himself made public what their proposals were.

I understand that. I just think that these negotiations are very complex and the kneejerk, reactionary lines about the negotiating commitee from the outside are a little union-busty for me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I understand that. I just think that these negotiations are very complex and the kneejerk, reactionary lines about the negotiating commitee from the outside are a little union-busty for me.

Look, no one knows better than internet randos. Everyone knows that!

• Like 1

My prediction is, and this isn't a reason to end the strike on bad terms to be clear, that if KOTFM hits below 25m, we are going to see some big delays for rest of year, on sale dates be damned. Promotion definitely matters with most of the post-Freddy releases, and I think it will hold KOTFM under 30m. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of making sure a long-term, fair deal is assured. But still. Yes, it has an effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My prediction is, and this isn't a reason to end the strike on bad terms to be clear, that if KOTFM hits below 25m, we are going to see some big delays for rest of year, on sale dates be damned. Promotion definitely matters with most of the post-Freddy releases, and I think it will hold KOTFM under 30m. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of making sure a long-term, fair deal is assured. But still. Yes, it has an effect.

Feel like you said that before, and nothing has happened that has indicated that anything would ever change. Especially when most of the movies coming out are either established brands with built-in fanbases (Marvels, Hunger Games, Wonka) or animated kids titles that don't really need the actors out there pushing it (Trolls, Wish, Migration). Even stuff like Poor Things or Saltburn seem unlikely, since they have big awards campaigns going on (not like these would make anything anyways, since they're not nostalgic toy commercials). Color Purple and Napoleon even have big household name producers and directors to put out into the press as well. They're all guaranteed to make less than they would in normalcy, but frankly the studios don't give a darn about theaters to begin with and would let them die for a quick buck if possible.

January onwards though? I agree with you. Stuff like Night Swim and Mean Girls could easily be pushed to February or March, which in turn will push back the March movies, the summer slate, etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Sag-Aftra leadership is beyond a joke. A clown show. 

I didn't think they could beat WGA leadership antics but they do it with ease.

Would this be the same "clown show" "WGA leadership antics" that ultimately got them a great deal?

Asking for a friend.

(who happens to be me)

• Like 4