Eric is Anxious

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 hours ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Can someone smarter than me explain why a company like WBD or Universal or any of the big studios wouldn't agree with terms separately to gain a bunch of goodwill and get a big leg up on the competition? 

They're making less profits (cord cutting, streaming not being as great as they imagined, etc.) as years before, while borrowing/cost of debt is high??

Edited by The GOAT

4 hours ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Can someone smarter than me explain why a company like WBD or Universal or any of the big studios wouldn't agree with terms separately to gain a bunch of goodwill and get a big leg up on the competition? 

They're under a collective bargaining contract. They can't part ways without getting sued. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Damn maybe they should do something about that then

If only there was an obvious solution that would mitigate their losses, salvage their reputations, AND get projects back in production....

• Like 5

So they are losing $500m because of the strikes, when the estimated impact for WBD of accepting all the WGA demands over the entirety of the contract (3 years) would be... $47m (according to the WGA).

EDIT: JWR was quicker than me.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

So they are losing $500m because of the strikes, when the estimated impact for WBD of accepting all the WGA demands over the entirety of the contract (3 years) would be... $47m (according to the WGA).

EDIT: JWR was quicker than me.

Still, though. It really says a lot. This isn't about being logical. The AMPTP just don't want it to look like they lost or were wrong because it'll open the floodgates.

3 hours ago, JWR said:

If only there was an obvious solution that would mitigate their losses, salvage their reputations, AND get projects back in production....

There is no actual solution for them. WBD is kinda singularly screwed in this situation because again, it's not like they can part ways with the AMPTP on their own without getting sued. And I kinda doubt that Zaslav's voice in that room really matters to any of the other AMPTP members, so he really just has to go along with whatever the rest of them say.

I've always thought that out of all the companies, the one that's probably the most desperate for this to end is WBD because they're in a singularly screwed position compared to all the other companies, mostly because: 
1. They're the newest company of them all. (Remember, WBD as an entity has only existed for about a year)
2. They've been bleeding  money all year. 
3. They've been desperately trying to repair their reputation amongst creatives after Jason Kilar's disaster and the cuts from last year. This was supposed to be their year to do so.

The one option they might have is begging to the AMPTP to let them try to strike a deal with SAG/WGA to get an agreement for at least one of their divisions like New Line or DC Studios. 

And again, I hate always looking like I'm defending Zaslav, but the truth of the matter is that aside from his "our desire to get back to work will end the strike" (which was more like him putting his foot on his mouth) he's the only one I can think off of all the CEOs that at least gave the whole PR speech of "I hope the writers get a fair deal."

If they were in a position to weather the storm don't get me wrong, I absoltuely thing they'd be ruthless, but they aren't and I think they're really, really desperate with pretty much no real way out. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 21C said:

There is no actual solution for them. WBD is kinda singularly screwed in this situation because again, it's not like they can part ways with the AMPTP on their own without getting sued. And I kinda doubt that Zaslav's voice in that room really matters to any of the other AMPTP members, so he really just has to go along with whatever the rest of them say.

I've always thought that out of all the companies, the one that's probably the most desperate for this to end is WBD because they're in a singularly screwed position compared to all the other companies, mostly because: 
1. They're the newest company of them all. (Remember, WBD as an entity has only existed for about a year)
2. They've been bleeding  money all year. 
3. They've been desperately trying to repair their reputation amongst creatives after Jason Kilar's disaster and the cuts from last year. This was supposed to be their year to do so.

The one option they might have is begging to the AMPTP to let them try to strike a deal with SAG/WGA to get an agreement for at least one of their divisions like New Line or DC Studios. 

And again, I hate always looking like I'm defending Zaslav, but the truth of the matter is that aside from his "our desire to get back to work will end the strike" (which was more like him putting his foot on his mouth) he's the only one I can think off of all the CEOs that at least gave the whole PR speech of "I hope the writers get a fair deal."

If they were in a position to weather the storm don't get me wrong, I absoltuely thing they'd be ruthless, but they aren't and I think they're really, really desperate with pretty much no real way out. 

That is a good point. Especially considering how mitigating their losses means making more unpopular decisions. WBD was already in no position to wait out bad press last year. And now they have less wiggle room now.

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

If the Writer's strike does not end before October 3rd, it will become the longest strike in WGA history, surpassing the 1988 strike, which lasted for 154 days. 

I expect this one to surpass 200 days when all is said and done.

Looks like Netflix released numbers for One Piece like Disney did for Ahsoka. 18.5 million viewers over the 4 day weekend, so they beat Ahsoka at least. Also saw a 15.2 mil number listed for Witcher 3s season 3 4 day debut. Anyone know how this compares to the juggernauts of ST and Wednesday? I don’t think we ever had this kind of data released for those though