Eric the IF

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Leave it to Netflix to fuck everything up right as the light at the end of the tunnel begins to reveal itself. I won't go so far as to say that this will cause the strike to bleed into next year, but I no longer think it'll be settled next week.

Honestly, Deadline is being inflammatory on many levels:

First, you couldn't be a unintentional scab. They are pederestians who are been recorded for a B-roll. You couldn't be accused of scab in that situation.

Second, Netflix distribute this show, but it doesn't seem like they are in charge of production. So blaming them seems to be intentionally inflammatory.

It's also important to mention that record pederestians for B-roll is pretty common. This doesn't even involve actors, so SAG has no role in this.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hopefully those talks go well and this is all over or close to it in a week because we've officially hit the "gotta find anything to be mad about even when there's nothing" stage.

Think we already hit that stage when people got angry over DWTS and The View being on air. 

Reading some of the stuff linked in this thread has got me convinced that what the writers got works well for them, but it doesn't work so well for actors, they need actual residuals instead of bonus for great performance like the writers got.

I am not sure the 2% of revenue will fly with the CEOs, but I hope they get some %, anything will help the ones who can't even clear the minimum per year to get the guild health insurance.

Edited by Arlborn

7 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Reading some of the stuff linked in this thread has got me convinced that what the writers got works well for them, but it doesn't work so well for actors, they need actual residuals instead of bonus for great performance like the writers got.

I am not sure the 2% of revenue will fly with the CEOs, but I hope they get some %, anything will help the ones who can't even clear the minimum per year to get the guild health insurance.

I'm convinced the 2% of revenue was only added in order to perhaps increase the minimum residuals. 

12 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

I am much more confident in this strike dragging on for at least a month and  a lot of arguing in the press

Oh I think they gave that shit up a while ago. They want to end this now, the fucking around period is over. They already caved on most of the points to the WGA so stonewalling SAG has literally no point but losing themselves money

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, 21C said:

SAG leadership has been significantly more inflamatory about the CEOs than  the WGA so I don't see this going fast at all, but I hope I'm wrong.

I mean SAG leadership is made up of actors, no? Actors are known for being a tad dramatic compared to writers :P 

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I mean SAG leadership is made up of actors, no? Actors are known for being a tad dramatic compared to writers :P 

Duncan Crabtree-Ireland is the only non actor IIRC everyone else is 

As much I don't think Fran should be in the room, I would pay good money to watch the negotiations unfold with her doing it as Nanny Fine, I wonder how quickly the execs would fold?!

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh I think they gave that shit up a while ago. They want to end this now, the fucking around period is over. They already caved on most of the points to the WGA so stonewalling SAG has literally no point but losing themselves money

I mean they didnt cave, they nnegotiated down and got wga to give up significantly less than what they originally asked, wga probably got about half of what they actually wanted in terms of monetary value.

This characterisation that they captivated on evry demand is a bit misleading g as they got WGA to accept quite  a bit less than I though they would.

2 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

I mean they didnt cave, they nnegotiated down and got wga to give up significantly less than what they originally asked, wga probably got about half of what they actually wanted in terms of monetary value.

This characterisation that they captivated on evry demand is a bit misleading g as they got WGA to accept quite  a bit less than I though they would.

Um, I tend to think the relative reactions of both the WGA and the AMPTP speak volumes about who "won" the deal.  At least in the immediate analysis.

Compare/contrast reaction to this deal versus the one the IATSE (or even the DGA) got and it's... well night and day.

In particular, the blowback to the IATSE deal was fierce, immediate, and nearly capsized the whole thing.

Here though the WGA is all but spiking the football in the end zone.  And given that writers by and large are as easy to herd as cats, if this was a lukewarmish type deal the backlash would already have started.

NB:  Were there areas where the deal could have been better?  Of course.  Was it "worth" striking for another month or two or three?  Well, here's where EV (expected value) comes in.  Chances are they might have received a "better" deal if they kept holding out.  At the same time, also possible the financial pain was too risky and/or the gains not transformative enough to keep holding for more.