Eric is Anxious

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

The data suggests it's actually the olds who have abandoned movie theaters altogether. Even Haunting in Venice was like 55% under 35. Which is bad in short term for the movies I tend to like but good in long term, I suppose.

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

The data suggests it's actually the olds who have abandoned movie theaters altogether. Even Haunting in Venice was like 55% under 35. Which is bad in short term for the movies I tend to like but good in long term, I suppose.

I am skeptical of that data because PostTrak hits up theaters exclusively on the metros on the coasts, which are skewed to young/diverse crowds. It would be inefficient and costly to go to some exurbs/mid-size towns even if that would get a more representative sample. With that said, it is true that most movies are skewing young. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That's not how it works. They pretty much have to pay the estates and get their permissions before using CG recreations. We can thank Back to the Future 2 and Crispin Glover for that.

It's honestly insane that Zemeckis did that to Crispin Glover rather than recasting especially when you consider they recast the role of Jennifer due to Claudia Wells having to drop out.

This is kind of a yes or no moment. Either CEOs consider this a line in the sand, or they cave and it is basically over. The tech companies like Apple and Amazon have incentives to fight the AI language that an NBC/Universal might not have.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This is kind of a yes or no moment. Either CEOs consider this a line in the sand, or they cave and it is basically over. The tech companies like Apple and Amazon have incentives to fight the AI language that an NBC/Universal might not have.

Hope for the latter fear the former. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The strike lasting until January would mostly affect mid-sized adult movies (aka my favorites) and TV moreso than blockbusters (plenty of them already shot) or indie/foreign productions.

The TV it will effect is mostly network TV that desperately needs content for their upcoming seasons. Streaming isn't as effected, Network TV is royally screwed.

7 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The AI stuff is something Disney probably wants too get away with because we all know how much they love using dead  people for nostalgia bait. See Carrie Fisher in Rogue One.

See Carrie Fisher in Rise of Slywalker.

Just now, emoviefan said:

How soulless and greedy.  Enough to burn the whole MFer down over giving a inch. Don't answer that.

I can see many of them waiting the strike to last until the start of next year just to spite the SAG. Nothing is getting filmed between now and New Years anyway.

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I can see many of them waiting the strike to last until the start of next year just to spite the SAG. Nothing is getting filmed between now and New Years anyway.

Yeah i could see it but I would think they want the deal in place by Jan so they can start production on stuff after the holidays if they refuse to budge and make a deal until after the holidays that just delays production restarts until Feb or later.But yeah spite could win out in the end.

13 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

This is really going to come down to how souless and greedy the CEOS truly are if they refuse to budge on this AI/LIkeness stuff in any way.

CEOs being souless and greedy isn't a new thing. If they could, they will definitely take every opportunity to reduce their costs.

What really matters is whether they are willing to give up their greed to end this strike or not.

17 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The AI stuff is something Disney probably wants too get away with because we all know how much they love using dead  people for nostalgia bait. See Carrie Fisher in Rogue One.

I agree with your general point but Carrie Fisher died several days after Rogue One came out. Still eerie though. 

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If the AI piece was there, the other issues would resolve themselves. AI is truly existential and as many of us were saying at the beginning of the strikes the results of this language will affect every industry in America moving forward from teachers to therapists and more. This is the exact thing to hold out on. If it was just the numbers on the other issues it'd probably be over, but this is bigger than that.

Yup, just like some of us have been predicting for the past couple of years and have been called crazy by a lot of people, the AI stuff is getting insanely scary, real fast, in all parts of society.

AI is coming for creative jobs, how fucked up is that? If that's possible, how long do you think you'll be able to keep your boring robotic office job before AI comes for that too?

Not to get too political, especially about a country I don't live in, but thank fuck it is Biden in the White House right now. And that's all I'm saying about that.