Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

LOL oh boy Hollywood is in for a rude awakening, no writers or actors. This probably resolves next month or by September.

That’s kinda off-topic but I wish VFX vendors could unionize and strike too. I’ve shared this on the Oppenheimer’s thread yesterday, but we need to come to terms about how much VFX people are explored, stretched thin and used to make Hollywood big bucks and not only are underpaid, but treated like shit. 

This is Daniel Anton Fernandes, from Neg, the sole VFX vendor working on Oppenheimer, they have done Avengers: Endgame and several big blockbusters in the past:

Translation:

"What this situation deserves is that we go on strike, seriously. Then the nonsense would stop. Let’s have them sending the work to India to see how it goes... or that they do it all practical, totally, since they already do it, am I right? The VFX strike would be every worse than the Writers strike."

This isn’t just about Nolan, mind you. This is about every single studio and how they exploit VFX studios with some having the audacity of negating the work of people that are literally working in the film and calling the director out while the film isn’t even out yet.

Imagine how fucked Hollywood would be if that was possible.

• Like 3

All cable networks have announced all their original programing won't premiere with new episodes till at least January which probably indicates a end of the strike in likely September or August at the earliest.

Stating the obvious but expect shortened seasons of all the shows.

Edited by Cappoedameron

6 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

All cable networks have announced all their original programing won't premiere with new episodes till at least January which probably indicates a end of the strike in likely September or August at the earliest.

tbh nobody has a clue how this will go. It’s already mid-July — agreeing to and ratifying two major contracts is gonna take more than 2-3 weeks even if both sides agreed in principle by the end of the week. 

They’re just pushing back the dates to the earliest possible airdate for now. They’ll keep pushing it later into next year if talks drag out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

You have a source? I haven't heard anything like that is going to happen, I know the studios are slowing releases and going more into unscripted but that impacts Broadcast more than Cable or Streaming. 

Also just want to say whilst I haven't posted in this thread I'm 100% in support of the writers and it would seem actors who are striking and hope they get a great deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

These folks are scumbags and I don’t use that term lightly. 

https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-strike-hollywood-studios-deal-fight-wga-actors-1235434335/

Receiving positive feedback from Wall Street since the WGA went on strike May 2, Warner Bros Discovery, Apple, Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Paramount and others have become determined to “break the WGA,” as one studio exec blatantly put it.  

To do so, the studios and the AMPTP believe that by October most writers will be running out of money after five months on the picket lines and no work.

“The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses,” a studio executive told Deadline. Acknowledging the cold-as-ice approach, several other sources reiterated the statement. One insider called it “a cruel but necessary evil.”

Hollywood is run by actual supervillains. 

Bring it all down.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I wouldn't put it past studios to intentionally want the cable networks to die already. 

56 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's kinda obvious they don't want SAG to strike, but everything so far does indicate the AMPTP does want the WGA strike to continue for now.  The writing was on the wall ever since the WGA negotiating committee stated that the AMPTP showed absolutely zero effort to negotiate a deal, and the fact they've made zero outreach since. 

Edited by 21C
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

1 hour ago, 21C said:

It's kinda obvious they don't want SAG to strike, but everything so far does indicate the AMPTP does want the WGA strike to continue for now.  The writing was on the wall ever since the WGA negotiating committee stated that the AMPTP showed absolutely zero effort to negotiate a deal, and the fact they've made zero outreach since. 

Good thread related to this:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yeaaah, not fully buying it. If there's any group of people that'd side with CEOs over the prospect of a future with AI overlords that can produce unlimited amounts of content for as little cash as possible, it's probably Wall Street.

• Community Manager
25 minutes ago, 21C said:

Yeaaah, not fully buying it. If there's any group of people that'd side with CEOs over the prospect of a future with AI overlords that can produce unlimited amounts of content for as little cash as possible, it's probably Wall Street.

Wall Street doesn't care. Wall Street is all about reacting to short term news.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:
5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

So, according to these tweets, Deadline article is propaganda from the own studios.

It's a liitle weird that studios want to show themselves as horrible villains, but I guess the goal would be to scare the guilds.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

So, according to these tweets, Deadline article is propaganda from the own studios.

It's a liitle weird that studios want to show themselves as horrible villains, but I guess the goal would be to scare the guilds.

It’s a message not the public, but to the unions. They are afraid and it’s a bluff.