Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And then you have the problem of how do you regulate social media without throwing Free Speech out the window?

The US needs to come to terms that their 1st and 2nd amendments are fundamental rights, not absolute rights. You can’t have license to use social media as a tool to attack your own democracy and use misinformation that kills other people. And I don’t think your founding fathers intention was that you were able to own arsenals like AR-15s and machine guns.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The great con the GOP pulled off was convinceing so many blue collar workers it was on their side.

Social media doomed us and dumbed us down. There is a certain proud to be ignorant these days, but I’m still hopeful everything will start looking up, at very least until climate change doesn’t kill us all.

16 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

I feel bad for the actors, writers and the theaters who are going to be effected next year. Hopefully this can be resolved soon. 

Thoughts and prayers strikes again....

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The great con the GOP pulled off was convinceing so many blue collar workers it was on their side.

It's not really a con. They just brain washed the people that watch Fox News, because those people have no common sense or can't think for themselves whatsoever. That's the irony of them talking about indoctrination, that's exactly what they are.

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The US needs to come to terms that their 1st and 2nd amendments are fundamental rights, not absolute rights. You can’t have license to use social media as a tool to attack your own democracy and use misinformation that kills other people. And I don’t think your founding fathers intention was that you were able to own arsenals like AR-15s and machine guns.

Social media doomed us and dumbed us down. There is a certain proud to be ignorant these days, but I’m still hopeful everything will start looking up, at very least until climate change doesn’t kill us all.

Who decides what is misinformation and what is not? 

That is the problem. "Who Will Watch The Watchers".

I just don't trust politicians, of any stripe, period, not to use "getting rid of disinformation: as an excuse to shut down the opposition. And, sad to say, the left is just as bad as the right when it comes to a desire to use the power of the state to eliminate opposition. As much as I hate Fox News, banning it is not the answer.

The real problem is a ignroant electorate, and there is no quick or easy solution for that.

Some problems cannot be solved by legislation or government regulation. as much as the left hates to admit that.

Edited by dudalb

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's not really a con. They just brain washed the people that watch Fox News, because those people have no common sense or can't think for themselves whatsoever. That's the irony of them talking about indoctrination, that's exactly what they are.

Well, it was going on before Fox News. Look at the Blue Collar Reagen supporters.

It's been pretty publicly reported now the extension in negotiations was agreed upon with the supposed notion of good faith towards making a deal, but was in hindsight designed so three of the major studios could keep promotion for their biggest summer tentpoles going. It's been less publicly reported that Hollywood CEOs bringing in a federal mediator at the last second was a failed attempt to keep negotiations going longer. Now the studios are arguing in bad faith that no negotiations can happen when the guild is on strike. The following is with Matt Belloni and SAG-AFTRA national director Duncan Crabtree-Ireland:

"When do you think negotiations will re-start? Tomorrow?

No, not tomorrow. I think it will happen eventually. I’m disappointed that when we said we were willing to continue talking, the companies said no and said it’s gonna be awhile before they’re ready to talk to us again.

But you weren’t willing to extend the deadline again.

That’s right. We extended for 12 days already. And, by the way, the only way any strike ever gets resolved is by the parties continuing to talk and eventually reaching a deal. So their idea that there won’t be any discussion while there’s a strike is completely ridiculous and unrealistic"

I encourage everyone in this thread to focus on the human stakes at hand and aspirations for the AMPTP to come back to the table in good faith.

• Like 1

Also, I find it *wild* how many people say they support writers and actors but are still, today, the first full day both Unions are on Strike, dunking on television shows or movies they don't like, as if that has anything to do with how much money those writers or actors should earn.

• Like 4

• Community Manager
57 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And then you have the problem of how do you regulate social media without throwing Free Speech out the window?

I like to think this site does a decent job.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Also, I find it *wild* how many people say they support writers and actors but are still, today, the first full day both Unions are on Strike, dunking on television shows or movies they don't like, as if that has anything to do with how much money those writers or actors should earn.

Also, demotivation thanks to less pay is an actual factor that leads to overall weaker performance. Writers anyway have to fight uphill battles across various levels of execs to maintain the creative authenticity of their scripts. If the pay is weak, can't really blame them for saying fuck it and just write exec appealing hatchetjobs to get the bills paid. It's not like they are 'selling out' as that would require them to get rockstar sized cheques.

I find it interesting that there is separate unions for screen acting and stage acting in the US whereas in the UK Equity covers both. Likewise with writers, the WGGB covers all forms of writing whether it's TV, Film or theatre whereas the WGA is solely screenwriter, there is no union for playwrights.

Edited by Jonwo

48 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It’s performative shit. If the discourse among the ‘educated’ here is performative, on social media it’s ten times worse. Based on… Samba. Or feelings. Here’s hoping this works out, but yeah it’s an uphill battle.

28 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I like to think this site does a decent job.

If you don't like the job this site is doing, you can leave and go elsehwere. won't have that option if the government controls the Internet.

I cannot beleive how many people are willing to give up their liberty for some vague political motive.