Eric the Ape

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

The most surprising thing about this strike was that none of the studio PR moves seemed to work. Not the "Your favourite movies will be delayed", or the "They earn too much already" or even the "We are coming off unprecedented times and can't afford this strike or we will go bankrupt". The WGA really won the communications war throughout the strike.

They did try to push the "all the other poor hungry crew members are out of work too" angle, but it rang hollow given it didn't seem like there was actually much of a narrative there that wasn't being pushed by the AMPTP backed trade publications. The LA Times, local news stations, and really the political climate in general seemed to side with the unions which helped tip things in their favor.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Since theyre clearly willing to concede a lot of the demands already, hopefully things go significantly smoother and we just jump straight to the 4 days straight of talks. Could see something as early as the 10th

Some of the demands before talks broke down had already been agreed IIRC such as self taping so I assume that it won't be starting afresh but more allowing more concessions from both sides. 

Post-Strike Movie, TV Projects Ready for Scheduling Crunch – The Hollywood Reporter

Some interesting notes about what the production/promo logjam is going to be like once the SAG-AFTRA strike ends and how actors might have drop projects to finish ones that were halted midway through filming. In particular, Daisy-Edgar Jones has had to drop out of Ron Howard's new movie because she's obligated to complete Twisters when production resumes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Post-Strike Movie, TV Projects Ready for Scheduling Crunch – The Hollywood Reporter

Some interesting notes about what the production/promo logjam is going to be like once the SAG-AFTRA strike ends and how actors might have drop projects to finish ones that were halted midway through filming. In particular, Daisy-Edgar Jones has had to drop out of Ron Howard's new movie because she's obligated to complete Twisters when production resumes.

There were some projects that were days from wrapping like Wicked which TBH could incorporate that last bit of shooting with some reshoots and I think Beetlejuice 2 was a similar situation. Something like Juror Number 2 which probably could be done fairly quickly, it did 4 weeks of filming with maybe 2 weeks remaining or something along those sides. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

There were some projects that were days from wrapping like Wicked which TBH could incorporate that last bit of shooting with some reshoots and I think Beetlejuice 2 was a similar situation. Something like Juror Number 2 which probably could be done fairly quickly, it did 4 weeks of filming with maybe 2 weeks remaining or something along those sides. 

I believe Tim Burton said Beetlejuice 2 had two days of filming left so it's likely to arrive right on schedule for next September since all these movies have more likely than not been doing non-actor-related post work with what they have during the shutdown.

I am curious as to how SAG will feel about the residual model agreed by the WGA. Fran Drescher seemed obsessed with getting back the old network television model back and this is quite definitely not that (it's just a bonus per episode if a show gets watched by 20% of the subscriber base) so, will it work out for them? That could cause quite a problem if they don't agree to it as it'd be unfair for writers to have a different residual model from actors.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Some of the demands before talks broke down had already been agreed IIRC such as self taping so I assume that it won't be starting afresh but more allowing more concessions from both sides. 

Well obviously there's some things they'd have to go at from the start but the days of trying to wait the strike out are clearly gone. So just more days and nights of talks.

I have it on very good authority that several prominent fall films, most especially the Marvels, have incomplete ADR and are NOT completed films - if the SAG strike doesn't end by mid-October, more delays will happen (unless they use AI which would destroy negotiations). This source has been the scooper for accurate things I've posted in past. Take it for what you will. They stress what Tele has said as well - we vastly underestimate how much of a movie, especially a big blockbuster, is still having work done close to release, so delays remain possible beyond just the promotion element.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have it on very good authority that several prominent fall films, most especially the Marvels, have incomplete ADR and are NOT completed films - if the SAG strike doesn't end by mid-October, more delays will happen (unless they use AI which would destroy negotiations). This source has been the scooper for accurate things I've posted in past. Take it for what you will. They stress what Tele has said as well - we vastly underestimate how much of a movie, especially a big blockbuster, is still having work done close to release, so delays remain possible beyond just the promotion element.

If true, they will hold off on starting presales for Marvels until as late as possible, due to the possibility of a last-minute delay.

Edited by Bob Train

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

If true, they will hold off on starting presales for Marvels until as late as possible, due to the possibility of a last-minute delay.

They could of course cut around the need for dialogue or use AI, but I'd guesstimate at least 10 percent of the currently planned dialogue for some of these movies is unrecorded, so something would get delayed, even if not Marvels.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

That would explain why Disney hasn’t moved The Marvels to the first weekend of November, despite that spot being vacant now. 

• Like 2