Eric S'ennui

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

18 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Also man, Evolutionary is just so fucking hateable. Sometimes you just need a villain who you really want to see get what's coming to them. Just a fucking monster.

yeah i loved it when rocket snapped and scratched him

This was more in line with Gunn's Suicide Squad (sans the horrible Harley Quinn stuff it felt like Gunn just shoehorned in due to obligation to keep that character front and center) than his Guardians. Makes sense in his trajectory as he made Suicide Squad more recently.

Probably a few too many needle drops. Probably doesn't really breathe enough ever as he's closing out his saga so he stuffs everything possible in it to tie up all the lose ends so emotional beats and moments don't feel as natural as they did in the previous Guardians movies. BUT...

...feels enormous. World building is awesome. Creature and character design is awesome. The action beats are nonstop and consistently great. Nebula, Mantis, Gamora are more fun here than in anything else they've appeared in before. Rocket's backstory is haunting, fascinating and heartbreaking. Star Lord's reuniting with his estranged grandfather is a small, simple beautiful thing. High Evolutionary is one note but that note is played loud in all the best ways by Iwuji. The sight gags are next level. Everything on Orgocore or whatever it's called is just perfect. Wish the emotional beats hit harder and weren't as hurried through. Worthy close to the trilogy. 

I still like Guardians Vol. 2 most followed by Vol. 1 then followed but, now, Vol. 3 but not a lot separates the 3. 

Rocket ripping dude's face off was a cathartic jolt as was Cosmos big moment directly after Kraglin's big moment. 

I can absolutely see why early WoM is next level. I can also absolutely see critics while certainly on board aren't quite as on board as they were with Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. This is a weird, ugly, angry, grotesque movie for stretches... But, its those things in the most beautiful ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2023 at 3:19 AM, JohnnyGossamer said:

This was more in line with Gunn's Suicide Squad (sans the horrible Harley Quinn stuff it felt like Gunn just shoehorned in due to obligation to keep that character front and center) than his Guardians. Makes sense in his trajectory as he made Suicide Squad more recently.

There were sequences like the Guardians floating around in space, that reminded me of that scene in Suicide Squad with Harley floating around in the squid eyeball. I love seeing huge hollywood dollars thrown at pretty, trippy psychedelic shit.

I really, really enjoyed this, I think Marvel's got a big winner with this one. You'll never be able to recapture the surprise and novelty of the first one, but I definitely enjoyed this more than Vol. 2 (which was also good). There's a ton to enjoy here. The beginning with Creep was beautiful and honestly was close to making me cry. Loved the song selection here, again I don't think you'll be able top part 1 in that regard, but definitely better than Vol. 2. Especially for a 90's alt rock kid. Radiohead, Beastie Boys and Flaming Lips? C'mon. Also I used to have a Zune that I loved. It always had a way cooler UI than the iPod.

Hallway fight was awesome, top tier MCU action. This movie definitely didn't get the short end of the VFX stick, whole movie just looked great and vibrant. 

I thought Peter really was about to die in the vacuum of space and thought that was a pretty damn grim way to kill your hero.

Cosmo is a very good dog. Evil Gamora is hot. The red receptionist lady too.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 4

On 5/3/2023 at 4:55 PM, sabrecmc said:

I keep hearing this is "dark" and there is animal (CGI animal, but still) death, something which is something that bothers me a lot. How graphic is that? I don't care about the Guardians themselves all that much, so if it is bad, I'd just as soon not see it.  I had tickets for tomorrow night, but canceled them because I wanted to find out more before I decide if it's something I want to pay money to see. I don't do well with that kind of thing. Is it bad?  Does the Dog Die has comments that make it sound pretty brutal and that's a nope for me.

It’s graphic. And deeply, deeply upsetting. I cried about 70% of the movie. I spent the first like hour of the movie just really angry and tense. My mom actually turned to me halfway through the movie and said: I don’t like this. And I said I don’t like it either.

I don’t think I’d recommend it to anyone that likes animals. I actually don’t think I’d recommend it to anyone with small children.

And before you go on about how like everyone is so weak and sensitive nowadays with their content, nope. Not animals, man. I’ll watch humans suffer all day long, but if a hair is harmed on that dog, I’m gonna lose it. I went home and immediately hugged my dog.

The movie ultimately is good, yet If the animal torture is going to upset you, I would wait to Disney+ where you can fast forward through it. 

• Like 1

Them playing Florence + The Machine at the end was such a personal attack when they hit “2000s”. I was like… that song is NOT that old. I am not that old 😞

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Cap said:

It’s graphic. And deeply, deeply upsetting. I cried about 70% of the movie. I spent the first like hour of the movie just really angry and tense. My mom actually turned to me halfway through the movie and said: I don’t like this. And I said I don’t like it either.

I don’t think I’d recommend it to anyone that likes animals. I actually don’t think I’d recommend it to anyone with small children.

And before you go on about how like everyone is so weak and sensitive nowadays with their content, nope. Not animals, man. I’ll watch humans suffer all day long, but if a hair is harmed on that dog, I’m gonna lose it. I went home and immediately hugged my dog.

The movie ultimately is good, yet If the animal torture is going to upset you, I would wait to Disney+ where you can fast forward through it. 

I love animals, and I think it has a good message about animal cruelty  in it and is part of the reason why I liked it so much, yeah some of those scenes were really hard to watch, and maybe it's not happening to them in that way, but there is alot of abused animals out there and it definitely  makes a statement. pretty sure I automatically started crying at every rocket flashback scene though, plus a few more. 

I am trying to think if my parent's will like it though, they LOVE love the first two GOTG movies and rocket is their favorite character, but they don't care much for dark graphic stuff, especially my dad who is disable from a stroke and cries at pretty much everything he watches now.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Cap said:

Them playing Florence + The Machine at the end was such a personal attack when they hit “2000s”. I was like… that song is NOT that old. I am not that old 😞

So glad they played it though, I think it might be the first time a guardians of the galaxy had a song in it that was already one of my all time favorite songs, before I saw the movie.

• Like 2

That was a great movie but I was hoping for more out of Adam Warlock. It almost seemed like Gunn didn't want to use him but felt obligated. I was also surprised no one died since there's been rumors indicating this would be the case.

One thing I also didn't expect is that while other characters had development it was 100% Rocket's movie. 

Edited by poweranimals

Did anyone else get the feeling that there's some cut knowhere subplot (Nebula storyline?)? The "are you ok Nebula" scene in the middle of the fight just feels like it's supposed to come from an established character instead of random knowhere citizen #3.

Similarly, the amount of mooks depicted as invading knowhere aren't really fully accounted for in the brief Kraglin scene we get. 

On 5/7/2023 at 10:07 AM, Kalo said:

I love animals, and I think it has a good message about animal cruelty  in it and is part of the reason why I liked it so much, yeah some of those scenes were really hard to watch, and maybe it's not happening to them in that way, but there is alot of abused animals out there and it definitely  makes a statement. pretty sure I automatically started crying at every rocket flashback scene though, plus a few more. 

I am trying to think if my parent's will like it though, they LOVE love the first two GOTG movies and rocket is their favorite character, but they don't care much for dark graphic stuff, especially my dad who is disable from a stroke and cries at pretty much everything he watches now.

That's absolutely great and I'm happy to see that the movie is resonating with the audience. That said, I can't bare to watch that kind of scenes. I teared up just reading the descriptions of Rocket's friends on The Movie Spoiler. So I understand others who had hard time watching it or who skipped it like me. I'm glad that they made a blockbuster movie that took the risk to send this and that the message is clearly connecting with the adueince rather than preventing them from seeing the movie.

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

On 5/4/2023 at 6:13 PM, thajdikt said:

The Marvel intro being just with Guardians... small details like that means a lot for many. loved it.

I loved that at the end it says Special Thanks

To the loyal fans!

i don’t think I’ve ever seen that on a marvel movie or any big movie before. You know it’s earnest cause the fans really came out hard in support of Gunn after his firing.

• Like 1

I can’t wait to see that group action scene again. One of the best scenes in the ENTIRITY of the MCU. We don’t get enough team battles in these movies. Damn now I wish Gunn was  directing X-Men cause that movie REALLY needs some one who can do a team dynamic justice.

• Like 2