Inceptionzq

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

It's amazing how much they hyped up Spectacular Spider-Man on all the fan sites and he has two lines and frankly visually looked awful. Why is he like 4 feet tall?

I was also surprised at how they seemed to go out of their way to actually include the MCU explanation of the multiverse, the branching paths thing they show is identical to how it's portrayed in Loki.

But yeah, this ending...I need Beyond TODAY please.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

First thought: They are def wanting to be connected to the MCU with these Spider-Verse movies while also being there own thing. Glover as Prowler, naming Strange and Tom´s Spidey, the branches from Loki. Also the Multiverse lore seemingly felt like just a better in more depth version than then one MCU have introduced. 

Second thought: 

Man Gwen... really comes to her own in this movie. Loved it. Spider-Man India and Spider-Punk was awesome

I was kind of annoyed that they made Peter into more of a joke character in this one, but pretty good overall. I think I preferred the first one though.

8 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

First thought: They are def wanting to be connected to the MCU with these Spider-Verse movies while also being there own thing. Glover as Prowler, naming Strange and Tom´s Spidey, the branches from Loki. Also the Multiverse lore seemingly felt like just a better in more depth version than then one MCU have introduced. 

A little bit of a plot hole with the Earth designation though. 

Edited by poweranimals

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Man... Last quarter of it lost me a bit. Wanted more Spot. But, damn great time. Lived up to the hype. Just immersive, awesome fun with tons of fan service but fan service done right is a wonderful drug. Good stuff. Maybe great stuff.

Trick to do fan service is to do i in such  a way that people who are not fans don't feel they are missing anything. 

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

For exactly that reason.

But doesn't the movie implies the reason why Spider people's relatives die is because that's the canon for the Spider people? So if there's no spider in Earth 42, there is no spider people and therefore, no one should die at the expense of the spider canon

12 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

But doesn't the movie implies the reason why Spider people's relatives die is because that's the canon for the Spider people? So if there's no spider in Earth 42, there is no spider people and therefore, no one should die at the expense of the spider canon

People can still die for unrelated reasons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

Trick to do fan service is to do i in such  a way that people who are not fans don't feel they are missing anything. 

Yeah. I would say general audiences are so familiar with Spider-Man stuff that that won't be a problem. Spidey is just so overwhelming popular in cinema. But, yeah, it's laid on thick. Maybe the most fan servicey movie ever honestly. Which is fine... I could've done with less of it and more Spot.

Last quarter or so I'd have went with Spot then a cliffhanger there. The being on the wrong world ending was super telegraphed and super convenient and kinda boring way to start a cliffhanger... Reveal of it dragged a bit as it was so obvious he'd get out of it so quickly when the next one starts it was really just a shrug. The movie that before that happens is just flat unreal good for long stretches. Ending kinda left me flat and made me realize... Oh, yeah, this so very, very obviously a part one. I'd honestly have preferred a more abrupt cliffhanger.

I will say, and this is not the fault of Spider-Verse, I kept feeling multiverse cinema/series felt like it was collapsing on itself. My best basic rundown of this one would be it's a lot like Back to the Future II, Roger Rabbit/LEGO Movie and the best episodes of Loki. It's dressed up so, so, so well. Just a trip to experience. But, again, maybe I'm a bit burnt on the multiversing everything. I kept thinking of Loki (series), Russian Doll (series), Endgame, EEAAO... Then seeing the Flash trailer directly before AtSV, I kept thinking how the plots look super similar ESPECIALLLY after it was reveal that Morales was the anomaly that put many (including his own) world in jeaopardy and The Flash trailer is literally slamming that same exact concept home minutes before in the trailer. 

Can't wait for Beyond the Spider-Verse. I'm ready. That said, I'm also ready for a break from the multiverse stuff. I'm wondering when this subgenre within a subgenre will eventually fade. I mean, I guess it can't/won't too soo though. Rick and Morty, Russian Doll, Loki HUGELY popular. Then, of course, Days of Future Past, Into the Spider-Verse, Endgame, No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness big time successes at the cinema. Everything Everywhere All At Once owns the Oscars. And, now, we have Across the Spider-Verse and Flash which continue to play in the multiverse and both will be hits.

Almost hoping for more Quantumania like misfires so audiences of tire of it. It's super fun but it's a cheat. And, it greatly diminishes stakes in stuff... For me at least.

I still can't get over how amazing this looked... So much more impressive than any other recent animation stateside that I've seen. What a trip. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Welp, with the never ending multiverse stuff everywhere, maybe he's of both worlds because the spider changed his DNA so now there will be a canon event on Earth 42? 

6 hours ago, Grebacio said:

I think the movie is saying the world is a better place with spider-man despite the sacrifices that have to be made in order for him to exist. So because there already was a spider-man in Miles’ world his universe was okay until the anomaly happened and left Earth 42 without a spider-man thus sending into chaos and terror. I think that this series is basically a metaphor for sticking to a formula and that it’s okay to break the rules instead of feeding audiences the same thing, and Beyond will probably expand that idea. We saw it in Gwen’s universe when her father gave up being an officer and changing his fate from how it’s supposed to go. Every universe is being altered in a way it’s not meant to by Miles’ existence. 

9 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I cannot believe they pulled this off but also Donald Glover’s Prowler 😱😱

I'm ready for less Donald Glover. That part fell completely flat for me... As did the Venom nod. Was having much, much more fun with all the other Spider-People than those two cutaways/brief moments. I'd toss the LEGO in there too as one I could've done without. All the other Spiders were a lot more fun, interesting than those three Easter Eggs/heavy winks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Because without Spider-Man the city has become a criminal hellscape?

Sheesh, I hope not. Given the beautiful mural for his dad that wasn't defaced (maybe I missed it if it was?) and his mom being jokey and upbeat, I don't expect that to be case all. I mean, given the number of villains in Spider-Man stuff, I guess you could argue every universe he exists in is a criminal hellscape. That said, I do not expect that to the direction they go... Not only is it kinda lame and boring and been there done that type choice I also have faith that the writers have more up their sleeves. Hopefully a lot more than just "Miles is Prowler in this one... Whoa!!!" we saw too. Because that's kinda been there, done that lame too and hopefully that specific footnote is resolved very, very quickly in Beyond. They showed him primed to escape so I'm sure it will be...