Eric Furiosa

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Well aside from a myriad of lessons to be learned from The Flash, maybe Hollywood needs to understand that nobody wants to see old, depressed, defeated versions of their childhood heroes anymore.  

Han in TFA began the fracture in the Star Wars fan base while Luke shattered it in half. From the trailers, Keaton appeared to be in a retired, depressed state. Not to go into spoilers, but I can see why anyone seeing the film for Keaton would not be satisfied. Indy's in the same boat with the trailers hinting he's depressed without adventure. 

Hollywood has an obsession with taking nostalgic characters and making them losers for the new, young hero to get back in the fight. No Way Home subverted this by having the nostalgic characters help the new hero in their broken state. It's the gold standard for fan service movies and audiences want more of that. 

• Like 9

Man, these numbers and CS are depressing. Of course The Flash isn't the greatest CBM ever, or close to it, but I enjoyed it quite a bit despite the CGI and 3rd-act rushjob. It's worth noting that some of the VFX are excellent, and visually interesting from a design standpoint; but overall, the CG just couldn't keep up. I understand some of what Muschietti was saying about the distortion in the speed force, but you also...could've just filmed live-action elements for those scenes? The Chronobowl itself looked awesome, imo. As someone who enjoyed the high-wire act of the opening scene, the babies could've looked so much better.

All that said, I thoroughly enjoyed the story, action, and humor here. The comedy felt much more organic and situational than damn near any CBM post-Endgame, imo, Keaton did his thing and had some compelling action scenes, and Ezra was absolutely fantastic. This film's take on time travel was really inspired, and the action was sick through the first two acts, and some nice moments in the third act. Ending was messy for sure - they rushed through some pretty pivotal beats, and many of the cameos didn't land (though I actually appreciated Barry's reaction to them on a narrative/thematic level) - but they stuck the landing emotionally for me, 100%.

I think the CGI is affecting that CS a lot. In no universe is this anywhere near as bad as Black Adam, WW84, Suicide Squad, BvS, or Shazam 2. I enjoyed it more than Birds of Prey and Aquaman, too (two movies I like). Sorry for the mini-rant. I just genuinely enjoyed this one and am shocked to see it on Quantumania/Eternals/BvS level for audience reception.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Joel M said:

The cinemascore is somehow more shocking than how far the OW range has fallen.  The movie wasn't really good but it wasn't anywhere as bad a Black Adam or as boring as Shazam. This being at the end of a string of flops that no one even liked that much certainly played it's part to how much it's being rejected right now.

It's the kids. Kids haven't returned in full to the cinema and they were responsible for softening up these cinemascore and posttrack grades. Whatever is turning off the women with this film also means mothers aren't taking their kids to see it.

There's also a massive problem with the movie itself which is causing lower than usual grades with younger audiences that did show up. (Mods don't kill me. I think this stuff relates to the BO here).

Spoiler

The character that appears to be the primary antagonist violently kills a bunch of superheroes and the movie resolves with those characters still dead. No hope of resurrections. They are DOA. The villain wins and the movie wraps up damn near definitivley. That's some scary shit.

• Like 2

Deadline: Warners [spent] $31.3M on TV spots for The Flash which pulled in 1.07B impressions. That’s more than Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 ($24.3M), Elemental ($12.9M), Transformers: Rise of the Beasts ($17.2M), and 3x more than what Sony spent on Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse ($10.9M)

• Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

Hide contents

The character that appears to be the primary antagonist violently kills a bunch of superheroes and the movie resolves with those characters still dead. No hope of resurrections. They are DOA. The villain wins and the movie wraps up damn near definitivley. That's some scary shit.

That's actually one of the most compelling aspects of the movie along with its emotional core, this movie had a potential to be as good as Zaslav hyped it if they grounded the most atrocious action sequences, changed those horrible visuals of time limbo scenes completely and cut horrible CGI cameo fest entirely.

Edited by TomThomas

Honestly a high-$50M opening wouldn't be that bad if not for the fact it got a kiss of death CS grade that ensures it won't be around much longer. Guardians 3 has proven it's possible for a comic book movie to rebound after a softer than expected launch. Just a total miscalculation on the WB's part.

40 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t like Amber. But claiming she is more ‘controversial’ than Ezra is ehhh… a lot of people believe her. Situation is clearly different between them. I’m not sure how well Aquaman 2 will fare, but doing well, eh or The Flash will be unrelated to her. It’s a movie WB made and it was delayed into oblivion. Maybe Wan could pull it off, maybe he doesn’t, I imagine it will do better than The Flash, but no clue by how much.

Haven't logged in for ages but had to now to address the AH thing. The only people who still believe AH are people who didn't watch the trial, and man-haters. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

36 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

and children. 

I don't want to call down wrath of mods but I just remain baffled/angered by how massively this was downplayed in the "Ezra is working on mental health" framing. We literally know of three separate family that took out restraining orders against Miller to ensure/try to ensure the celebrity would be legally unable to contact their children! And that's not counting the time child protective services were called to protect another family's children at Miller's ranch.

!!!!
!!!

!!!

!!!

!

!!!

Can that matter?

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t be surprised with an opening weekend in the high teens for Blue Beetle at this rate. 

August is gonna be rough this year. The most high-profile live-action releases aside from Blue Beetle are...The Meg 2 and Gran Turismo. Living up to its status as the dog days of summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

August is gonna be rough this year. The most high-profile live-action releases aside from Blue Beetle are...The Meg 2 and Gran Turismo. Living up to its status as the dog days of summer.

Ninja Turtles could break out