Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Just now, WorkingonaName said:

I unironically want a Tom cruise musical. 

Him and McQ are developing one, alongside a les grossman movie but idk if either will ever materialize

21 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

You dont 

but for example if you are  selling beer to older white mostly blue collar guys... I dont see putting up a trans spokeperson makes sense from a business point of view.

I am talking about business here.

Businesses always look for new revenue streams. New demographics are always welcome to a company that wants people to buy its product. 

5 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Businesses always look for new revenue streams. New demographics are always welcome to a company that wants people to buy its product. 

True but the key is to keep your main customer base with you and expand to new markets or else you end up worse off.  

This related to movies, I notice a lot of franchises are pretty much throwing out 100s of millions in box office revenue trying to chase new markets and demos but like ruining good will with established fanbases and markets. 

I think there are ways to be inclusive and keep your customer base and fan base happy. I think Phase 2 and 3 of Marvel was a perfect example of that. 

Phase 4 and 5 marvel they trying hard to get new markets and it seems a bit of a fail. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Not sure if you are joking, but lol. I hate Netflix, I don’t like their model and it’s got even worse this year. With that said I’ve been a subscriber for the last 10+ years, with this month being the first time that I’m unsubscribing. Extraction 2 is a fucking success and arguably the most talked about piece of media I’ve seen this weekend not called Black Mirror. Extraction 2 is an obvious success and despite imagining it’s just a mindless action flick, I’m intriguing to see it before my subscription expires. There is a reason why a sequel to this is already in the works.

A movie can leak online and be very successful with the torrent, but what about money?! After what Netflix did last month, I think we have a free pass to call their productions 'failures'. I mean, if Netflix's release model is so good, why do they keep making desperate decisions to squeeze more money out of customers?! 

Ps: I hope you enjoy the movie

8 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Those goons at Parrot Analytics think that films like DLU and Red Notice made 95M in value to Netflix. If you buy that, Extraction presumably makes budget back so marketing is the real loss (and I doubt it's 100M+)

If these numbers are true, then Netflix has lost a lot of money with RN. Red Notice cost $200m to produce and we don't know how much they spent on marketing.

I don't doubt that E2's marketing is something like $100m. Netflix spent $2.5B on marketing in 2022 and Extraction 2 being a Netflix original movie, it's expected to receive a big investment from them.

8 minutes ago, Willowra said:

By your logic, every big Netflix series causes Netflix to lose $200–300M lol

Well, their Tv series don't bring any direct income indeed and since last month they started banning password sharing, I think they are not happy (of losing money?) 

4 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

In some good news for Elemental, it's performance in Korea so far is quite encouraging. Monday number is higher than OD and is currently doing close to double of Flash's admissions daily.

ooph and The Flash was received well there wasn't it?

Moderation

@thedude11 @Torontofan Yeah we're not doing this. None of this "people are trying to say I'm racistj because I don't like Disney" strawmanning, nor any of this transphobic "Trans people having beer is bad for business" rhetoric. You're both trying to derail the thread and make up a bunch of garbage that I'm not letting slide.

Anybody who continues these idiotic conversations are getting threadbanned. That is all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In other news, The Pope's Exorcist sold ~32.000 tickets here on OW. The Flash sold ~23.000 tickets (the list of movies that opened below The Pope's Exorcist here this year is so insane I laugh every time I look at it). We are a real country.

Hopefully No Hard Feelings is the next surprise big opener here.

• Like 3

Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

ooph and The Flash was received well there wasn't it?

yeah...Flash had decent reception but not great whereas Elemental's audience score is very good. Elemental's audience score is 98%, Flash is at 94%. For comparison, TGM was 98-99%, GOTG3 was 98%, Super Mario was 96%, FastX was 94%, Transformers was 86%.

3 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Moderation

@thedude11 @Torontofan Yeah we're not doing this. None of this "people are trying to say I'm racistj because I don't like Disney" strawmanning, nor any of this transphobic "Trans people having beer is bad for business" rhetoric. You're both trying to derail the thread and make up a bunch of garbage that I'm not letting slide.

Anybody who continues these idiotic conversations are getting threadbanned. That is all.

ok

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Imagine how much it will make this week if it gets back some PLE screens from The Flash bombing.

We as a fam we’re going to watch it again yesterday, but opted for Transformers instead (which by the was decent & entertaining, if forgettable) 

But the reason: rather wait a week and see if it’s gets back in local IMAX (since we missed it the first time)

I suspect it will be a split PLF week across the hoard, with FLASH, ATSV and maybe even TF all getting some PLF shows 

Extraction 2 - I mean, probably cost a fortune. Nobody subbed to Netflix to watch it who didn’t have it already. Nobody would have cancelled if it didn’t exist. It’s just pointless spending of money in my eyes.  That movie isn’t really going to have any kind of legacy. They won’t release it on other platforms for extra revenue like even Amazon are doing now with their ‘exclusives’. It’s all just bizarre stuff and the streaming mania is now exposing the reality of it being a nonsense as good business for major films. 

Netflix will only hold out for so long before their big budget efforts simply have to come out in cinemas for a few weeks first. Look at how much money they left on the table with their Glass Onion debacle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Extraction 2 - I mean, probably cost a fortune. Nobody subbed to Netflix to watch it who didn’t have it already. Nobody would have cancelled if it didn’t exist. It’s just pointless spending of money in my eyes.  That movie isn’t really going to have any kind of legacy. They won’t release it on other platforms for extra revenue like even Amazon are doing now with their ‘exclusives’. It’s all just bizarre stuff and the streaming mania is now exposing the reality of it being a nonsense as good business for major films. 

Netflix will only hold out for so long before their big budget efforts simply have to come out in cinemas for a few weeks first. Look at how much money they left on the table with their Glass Onion debacle. 

A lot of these streaming movies just get streamed and torrented like crazy as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Litio said:

Even if 'Elemental' and 'The Flash' are not profitable, they will be able to pay the release + marketing costs and cover partially the production costs. That's more than Netflix can dream of.
Let's be honest, this is truly the BIGGEST BOMB of the weekend:

Hide contents

Extraction 2 (2023) - Movie Review

Budget: $65m
Marketing: $50m+ (Although I don't doubt it's $100m+)

Box Office: $0

Other revenue: $0
Total LOSS: $115m+

You looking at it in the wrong way to be honest, Netflix produced these films to keep their audiences which is why they still the most subscribed streaming service and have constant revenue to back these films

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Netflix is now profitable so I doubt they care about theaters.

• Like 1