The Wild Eric

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Another big blow for theatrical movie going between these flops and when Netflix inevitably announces that 800 million people watched Extraction 2 over the weekend.

Still have yet to watch the first one. Didn't realize there was a sequel.

WB having Austin Butler and especially Tim Chalet in their pocket is great for them. They will somehow, some way get them into IP and it will be a big deal when it happens. Chalamet already with Wonka and Dune but don't think theyre done within just yet. 

I will say this until I’m blue in the face, but WB hyping The Flash as “the greatest comic book movie ever made” two months before release had to be one of the dumbest decisions ever made. Even the greatest comic book movies ever made didn’t really try that BS 2 months pre-release and it just set this one up for the “meh” and “that’s it?” reactions. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

WB is getting what they deserve and paying for their bad decisions. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Oh god. 

This coming in under Transformers would be wild.

Looking at the demos - women refused to watch the lead.  I've never seen a supers movie split 76-24 - that's an INSANE rejection by 2 demos.  

Nothing more needs to be said if this comes in under Transformers...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

There's a very real chance that Spider-Verse ends up back at #1 next weekend. 🤣

Hopefully some theatres give it back some PLFs next week, it deserves it amongst the sea of mediocrity right now.

Let's assume The Flash grosses ~$55m this weekend and ATSV grosses ~$30m. I can see The Flash dropping 65% or more next weekend (no federal holiday, kids off school, horrible demographics that will burn through demand quickly, probably getting a B/B+ CinemaScore, standard CBM 2nd weekend drop). That would result in a $19.25m 2nd weekend which would be achievable for ATSV with a 36% drop or better. It will need some things to go its way but it's not out of the question!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I will say this until I’m blue in the face, but WB hyping The Flash as “the greatest comic book movie ever made” two months before release had to be one of the dumbest decisions ever made. Even the greatest comic book movies ever made didn’t really try that BS 2 months pre-release and it just set this one up for the “meh” and “that’s it?” reactions. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I do wonder who started this bullshit. Zaslav? I don’t remember how this even started. Other than praising The Flash, James Gunn didn’t say this, right?

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Looking at the demos - women refused to watch the lead.  I've never seen a super 76-24 - that's an INSANE rejection by 2 demos.  

Don't forget kids rejected it too.

5 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Nah, men still showed up, and they'd be the ones more swayed by the ads.

Women staying home en masse due to lack of interest, probably due to the lead's issues, is the story of the movie.

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, men still showed up, and they'd be the ones more swayed by the ads.

Women staying home en masse due to lack of interest, probably due to the lead's issues, is the story of the movie.

Yeah, this seems rather massive. And good for them. Regardless of the quality of this film, fuck Ezra.

54 minutes ago, MrPink said:

All this next DiCaprio, gimme the next Brad Pitt :kitschjob:

That was Josh Hartnett circa 2002. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm no Chalamet stan but the comparison to Hartnett is an odd one... I don't recall Hartnett every being as liked by critics. And, yeah, maybe he's not in a superhero movie but he is the lead in the Dune franchise. I expect the next one to do well critically and at the box office.

Hartnett never had an ultra-dramatic awards type role but flashed plenty of ability in a number of his films. He was also supposedly amazing in auditions. He was the first of several hundred auditions for Pearl Harbor and Bay cast him on day 1. Hartnett was cast as the lead in Black Dahlia by David Fincher, as well as the top choice for lead in Cold Mountain and Brokeback Mountain, he was the studios top choice for Nolan's Batman and unmade Superman. 

I think there was a broad consensus that talent was there.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

He was. Way back then. Something of 20 years ago. I remember similar interviews with him saying that superhero films were beneath him. And well, here we are.

Harnett was given the boot by his agent in 2004 due to turning down too many major roles, most notably the infamous mega Superman offer.

I remember his career at least somewhat. I don't recall critics being spellbound with him like they are Chalamet. I don't doubt Hartnett said like that about superhero movies especially 20+ years ago when the genre wasn't nearly respected. I remember the him and Affleck being mocked endlessly for their work in Pearl Harbor though. 

Chalamet has had the career that young Hartnett has said he wishes he had. Hartnett said yes to everything for a good 4 year run and it did bring him superstardom level fame but his image was that of a young aloof ultra-liberal pretty boy. He was criticized for campaigning for John Kerry after starring in 2 major war films. 

Also, Affleck and Bay drew like 99% of the hate for Pearl Harbor. That film had an extremely positive effect on the careers of Josh Hartnett and Kate Beckinsale, both of whom were better received in the film than Ben.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

No he wasn't. Harnett's most famous role is Pearl Harbor. Chalamet already has an Oscar nomination lol. If ur gonna whine about historical revisionism here, please get your facts right

Harbor was a much bigger and higher profile pop culture event than any film Chalamet has done. Chalamet is supposedly doing somethingone currently that will make him more famous than peak Hartnett. Josh Hartnett in 2002 was one of the most famous actors in the world. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah hartnett was never really a critics darling. i guess maybe Black Hawk Down was the one big movie he did that got a good reception but he didn't exactly get stand out notices from it.

And from what i can tell looking up interviews he said he turned down superhero roles because they boxed in the actors who played them too much, which was definitely more true at the time when not every actor had a superhero role. It's not like you can argue Brandon Routh had a better career than Josh Hartnett.

Hartnett's big mistake was assuming Nolan was making a basic popcorn Batman film. Guy definitely would have signed on if he had read the script. He also had what was clearly anxiety and the idea of high profile projects spooked him after seeing how the media was treating other people at the time.

Next DiCaprio? Yeah. I don't know. I just don't think Hartnett is a good comparison to Chalamet.

DiCaprio had incredible young magnetism that Hartnett never showed and nor has Chalamet to this point. I can't even think of a true comparison to DiCaprio in current young Hollywood. Leo was the definition of that "innocent trouble" attitude that so many icons have demonstrated. 

Edited by excel1

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Looking at the demos - women refused to watch the lead.  I've never seen a supers movie split 76-24 - that's an INSANE rejection by 2 demos.  

All the more reason that Jacob Elordi MUST be Superman. It is a business decision, W.B. I honestly might not support the project if its someone else, they don't care about it making money until post release and people reject it, then they get pissy. Its nonsensical. Elordi is such an obvious choice to make massively needed in roads with Gen Z and women that not choosing him would downright absurd. 

Edited by excel1

29 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I want to watch Extraction 2. I will cancel my subscription there for the first time in what, 10 years. I was just waiting for Black Mirror to drop.

I have watched the first two episodes of the new season of Black Mirror and they’re excellent. 

Especially the second one, whew. 

55 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think what I find most crazy with The Flash is just how much WB seems to have miscalculated it. It's not getting good reception from audiences, its critical reception is mixed, the interest in it is low. All this and WB really thought they had a massive hit on their hands.

They saw Keaton's Batman and a bunch of cameos and assumed that's all it took. It feels like they cynically thought we were going to look at this and lose our minds.

Michael Keaton as Batman is not relevant, and I'm sorry to the old people that don't like hearing it. He's one of three Batmen from the 90s. His films had great style, but aside from that they're just OK. I think the Raimi SpderMan films held more relevance to younger audiences that came after than the Burton Bat films. Christian Bale would've been more universally appealing.

The multiverse cameo angle could've brought about a lot of cool opportunities in the promotional aspect, but they're handled HORRIBLY. They don't interact with the movie, they look atrocious, and, apart from maybe one of them, I think people are gonna have a hard time making out what's what and who's who.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1