kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Hot take, but Wes Anderson peaked with The Royal Tenenbaums and Gene Hackman performance centers all the other characters and weird eccentricities of Wes work.

Wes needs to work with another actor that hates his guts.

Hackman is by far my favorite performance in any Wes movie for exactly what you just said. Not only is he really good he stands out against everyone else. Stiller does a bit too actually. It gives it a life that nothing he's done since has really every recaptured. Budapest I think was pretty much incredible though. But, Tenenbaums is my favorite of his by a lot. 

Unfortunately, the Hackman thing... Seemed to push Wes to pretty much make sure another actor does his own thing never happened again. 

• Like 2

Asteroid City was mostly fine. It is boring, but it's boring because the narrative is lifeless and there's no actual theme to the movie. I really hope Anderson's next movie is actually about something.

I haven't enjoyed any of his films since Budapest.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Yes. Cut all of the B&W scenes/story and focus/expand on the core Asteroid City events and you have a movie which Abrams is more than capable of directing given his history with Lost, Star Trek, Super 8 and TROS.

Ah, I see!  You just want a completely different movie!

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

This is a weird take. 
Suicide Squad was a massive box office flop, and Black Adam is going to outgross The Flash but quite a margin. Also, Ezra’s crime spree was front and center last summer, more so than it is right now. 

Maybe we just need to accept that The Flash was destined to flop. 

The Suicide Squad was a flop because it came right after BoP and WW1986, which people were actually anticipating and turned out to be generally disliked. But TSS actually had good reception among the audience, and people were ready to give the DCEU another chance after it, that's why Black Adam had the biggest openning for a DCEU film since Aquaman and could've been a hit if it wasn't for it's disastrous reception among audiences. Also, if it had been released earlier last year, Ezra's Flash would still be fresh in people's minds because of JL Snyder's Version and the multiverse thing would be in it's peak of popularity after No way home, unlike now that people are starting to get tired of the trend.

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't even know if I'm going to see The Flash at this point. Life's too short to commit a 3 and a half hour trip to the theater for cape shit.

Now, No Hard Feelings with its nice 1:43 runtime? That's a Sunday afternoon :Gaga: 

Update: I did a No Hard Feelings/Elemental double feature. Two perfectly ok movies with small crowds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Hot take, but Wes Anderson peaked with The Royal Tenenbaums and Gene Hackman performance centers all the other characters and weird eccentricities of Wes work.

Wes needs to work with another actor that hates his guts.

It's my favorite of his and Hackman's Oscar snub (should have won and not even nominated) is among the most egregious ever.   But The Grand Budapest Hotel is a close second for me (with another snub for Fiennes)

37 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

The Suicide Squad was a flop because it came right after BoP and WW1984, which people were actually anticipating and turned out to be generally disliked. But TSS actually had good reception among the audience, and people were ready to give the DCEU another chance after it, that's why Black Adam had the biggest opening for a DCEU film since Aquaman and could've been a hit if it wasn't for it's disastrous reception among audiences. Also, if it had been released earlier last year, Ezra's Flash would still be fresh in people's minds because of JL Snyder's Version and the multiverse thing would be in it's peak of popularity after No way home, unlike now that people are starting to get tired of the trend.

also HBO Max, where it did really well

42 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

The Suicide Squad was a flop because it came right after BoP and WW1986, which people were actually anticipating and turned out to be generally disliked. But TSS actually had good reception among the audience, and people were ready to give the DCEU another chance after it, that's why Black Adam had the biggest openning for a DCEU film since Aquaman and could've been a hit if it wasn't for it's disastrous reception among audiences. Also, if it had been released earlier last year, Ezra's Flash would still be fresh in people's minds because of JL Snyder's Version and the multiverse thing would be in it's peak of popularity after No way home, unlike now that people are starting to get tired of the trend.

TSS bombed because it didn’t get great reception. I know the Internet really loves it, but it got a B+ CinemaScore. If the general audience liked it, the film would’ve gotten in the A range like Joker (A-) or the Deadpool movies (A) and it would’ve done better.

Black Adam had a relatively big opening because Covid was dying down and it starred The Rock.

No one watched Snyder’s 4 hour cut of a mediocre film from 2016, and Miller’s Flash wasn’t a fan favorite.

People aren’t tired of the multiverse (look at Spiderverse), it was just unearned and in a movie people didn’t have interest in. It also wasn’t very good.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Looks like Wonder Woman surpassed Spider-verse 2 today.

Day 24: 318m vs 317m

400m is dead, 380m is still possible and would be a great performance. Spider-Verse needed an OW above 130 to hit 400m

4 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

TSS bombed because it didn’t get great reception. I know the Internet really loves it, but it got a B+ CinemaScore. If the general audience liked it, the film would’ve gotten in the A range like Joker (A-) or the Deadpool movies (A) and it would’ve done better.

Black Adam had a relatively big opening because Covid was dying down and it starred The Rock.

No one watched Snyder’s 4 hour cut of a mediocre film from 2016, and Miller’s Flash wasn’t a fan favorite.

People aren’t tired of the multiverse (look at Spiderverse), it was just unearned and in a movie people didn’t have interest in. It also wasn’t very good.

TSS is the best rated DCEU film on IMDB with a bold 7.2 just after WW and JL Snyder's Version, so audiences did like it; it also did great on HBO Max. It bombed on the boxoffice because people still had the first Suicide Squad on mind and the latest DCEU disasters (WW84 & BoP), besides it got a terrible release date just between Free guy and Jungle cruise, both targeting similar audiences.

Of course the Covid dying down helped Black Adam a lot, but that help would've been better for the Flash in the long term, which even if it didn't get amazing reception at least got better word of mouth than BA.

What you talking about? JL Snyder's Version was actually widely popular and one of the most streaming films during the pandemic. And, at least die-hard fans would've watched The Flash a year ago, before the annoucement of all the studio changes they did a few months ago.

1 hour ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Nah, the first Suicide Squad wasn’t well liked, and a sequel wasn’t wanted. Especially without Will Smith or a Joker. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

First Suicide Squad made almost 800m. If James Gunn movie was called Suicide Squad 2 it would have done better, although probably still not breakeven.

I'll disagree on that if we assume no Will Smith. Because the plot of Suicide Squad and the weird dancing is not what got people into the movie

8 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

First Suicide Squad made almost 800m. If James Gunn movie was called Suicide Squad 2 it would have done better, although probably still not breakeven.

The first Suicide Squad benefited from Will Smith, the first live action Harley Quinn, and a DCEU that still seemed to hold some promise. The general audience was just over it by 2022.

• Like 1

I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes, because I respect everyone’s taste in movies no matter how close it aligns with mine or not, but I just could never get on board with Wes Anderson’s storytelling. His films are all very distinct and look beautiful, but since “style over substance” is a common complaint about movies, I always felt that somehow Anderson has been “exempt” from this.

Not saying that I don’t understand why people like his films. I just never could get on board. Even my favourites of his are just the ones that I “enjoyed.” I’ve never LOVED an Anderson film.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

Grand Budapest Hotel is the only Wes Anderson movie I saw in a theater. What an awesome movie. I also really liked Isle Of Dogs.

The French Dispatch I found it to be really boring in comparison, so much so I fell asleep. Never bothered to rewatch the parts I missed.

Edited by Boxx93

2 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

The French Dispatch I found it to be really boring in comparison, so much so I fell asleep. Never bothered to rewatch the parts I missed.

The only part of The French Dispatch I liked was Frances McDormand having sex with Timothee Chalamet