Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

THE HITS/OVERPERFORMERS

Guardians 3

Spiderverse

Asteroid City

Barbie

Oppenheimer (very likely)

Look at the common traits of the hits--colorful, splashy visuals.. novelty and hooks.. compare these traits to the flops (which are mostly regurgitated IPs combating fatigue with nothing new). It's clear audiences are no longer complicit. 

Did SV really overperform? At least BOT was calling 400M+ dom and mini Infinity War effect since forever and it's meeting that expectation. But BOM may be an exception.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

This performance really makes you appreciate how the Jurassic Park franchise vanished for 14 years after a movie that didn’t even make 400 million worldwide and then came back with a  record breaking movie 

Dinosaurs have an appeal which goes beyond age and cultures, beyond nationality and boundaries. Plus the niche is totally empty, big budget Dinosaur Mass Entertainer..... Only Jurassic Park franchise is there for you, no competition and no overexposure.

Plus Jurassic Park is one of the most influential movie of all time, it changed cinema in a way and is a fan favorite among people of various ages.

Dominion fell little behind in youth audience, but that's got to do with its content more than appeal.

And whenever they release next Jurassic movies, it will be successful too and will be bigger than Dominion too. But in that case the content needs to be actually good this time, as popular the franchise is, you need Quality to back it, don't need another Dominion or Eden Fallen Kingdom, give atleast a Jurassic World, a big ticket crowd pleaser and see Box Office rampage.

The Phoebe fan in me was satisfied. Otherwise this was an unnecessary and deeply confused and vague movie that offers next to nothing. Any movie can be called unnecessary but they can overcompensate with justification. Here, Indy is beyond passive and the "old man out of time" perspective is rote. The de-aged opening sequence contradicts this central thesis, as well. The action simply doesn't stand-out or pop. Was there a single memorable setpiece? I am all for old-fashioned blockbusters with how horrible most of today's are, but this conforms itself to the worst current trends. I mean, no wonder this bombed. Nobody wanted it and it lacked freshness. Mads being cast as the Nazi villain symbolizes how uninspired the whole venture was

This was stressed in 2008 and it's even more relevant in 2023. 

The original trilogy was magical and classic due in part to it's practical effects that still hold up today. That's how people remember Indiana Jones. The giant boulder, the melting bodies, the heart rip, the rapidly aging Nazi, etc. Crystal Skull pulled the rug out from everyone by going over board with green screen and CGI that has not aged well. 

It's like Star Wars. The OG trilogy was ground-breaking in its effects. The prequel are derided for its CG and green screen. The sequel trilogy knew they had to try with it's practical effects to get that classic feel back and they did it perfectly with Force Awakens. 

But Indy kept with the heavy CG and green screen - no thanks to Ford's age. It's visually similar to Crystal Skull than the OG trilogy. Young CG Indy and Old CG Indy riding a horse through a green screen subway aren't selling anyone on this film. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Sure, no one wanted an Indy 5. But no one wanted a sequel to Puss in Boots either. Yet the movie was so good people still came out. The same thing could've happened with Indy, but Lucasfilm fucked it up.

yep. No one was asking for a Top Gun sequel or a Rocky movie sbiut Creed’s illegitimate son but they were good and people came. Indy 5 was suspected to be bad and nothing changed that perception and that’s why it’s flopping 

Edited by John Marston

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Did SV really overperform? At least BOT was calling 400M+ dom and mini Infinity War effect since forever and it's meeting that expectation. But BOM may be an exception.

Once the tracking numbers came in, we knew we had a hit incoming but I don't think the general consensus pre-summer was a 120+ OW. 

Mangold will be fine, i doubt this will affect his DC movie 

He have nearly 30 years of a successful career, even his SW movie can still happen.  Afterall he did an underwhelming The Wolverine and then goes to make Logan, one of the most celebrated CBM of all time and a huge box office win.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Mangold will be fine, i doubt this will affect his DC movie 

He have nearly 30 years of a successful career, even his SW movie can still happen.  Afterall he did an underwhelming The Wolverine and then goes to make Logan, one of the most celebrated CBM of all time and a huge box office win.

I dislike Mangold dearly but yeah, he's a work for hire director who can dabble in drama (FVF, Walk the Line) and action (Logan) which means he will always be a studio priority

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They meant overperform relative to the budget. Otherwise Elemental would be the hit of the year with its 5x legs after the awful OW.

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I dislike Mangold dearly but yeah, he's a work for hire director who can dabble in drama (FVF, Walk the Line) and action (Logan) which means he will always be a studio priority

Definitely, while he clearly doesn’t have an personal artistic vision, he’s one of the most talented hire workers in industry, jumping from genre to genre and usually succeeding. 

I can easily see a scenario where LucasFilm will find a bunch of reasons for the disaster of Indy 5 that isn’t Mangold and keep his SW movie in production since that is a completely different concept than dealing with legendary characters.