Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

I think the problem is that Ford is 80 y.o. for an action hero.
Cruise was 59 in Mav, and also the guy is in great shape for his age. 
No kids will go to see a guy that can be their grandfather like an teen idol.

Some nostalgia is also broken after Crystal Skull and no Spielberg directing, this is also important in my opinion.

Sad for the character, because Indy is one of the biggest myths in movie history, it should end with Last Crusade, but studios want to squeeze every dollar and i think this is the result, such a shame,,,

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

You suggesting they make mid-budget movies? Good one.

Make 150-200m budget films. Reserve 250m+ for the sure deals.

And what makes it worse ,some of them look terrible for 250m budget films.

Last 10 years were full of CGI heavy sequels,remakes,reboots and yeah lot of money was made so studios got comfortable with throwing tons of money at properties but that time seems to be passing by  and they no longer have that luxury.

9 minutes ago, setna said:

Some nostalgia is also broken after Crystal Skull and no Spielberg directing, this is also important in my opinion.

Sad for the character, because Indy is one of the biggest myths in movie history, it should end with Last Crusade, but studios want to squeeze every dollar and i think this is the result, such a shame,,,

Honestly just let the character rest and the franchise rest. But that won't happen ,they will probably recast down the line and it can work but in today's Hollywood I doubt that.

Jurrassic franchise was able to do it due to just how much audiences just love dinosaurs.

Starwars is massive IP where lots of stories can be told .

James bond is also a wish fulfilment character but the espionage sub genre also lends itself to multiple tories.

The problem with Indy is that it's so ingrained in  its titular character and his swagger, personality mannerisms and so on..

This movies had a great action and adventure but we came for Indiana,we wanted to be him,replace Indiana and they would probably just be standard adventure action movies with moustache twirling villains. 

80 year old Indy is no longer that and recasting  probably it would be hard to feel such shoes and

yeah Indiana maybe a little old school for some audiences today. Won't be surprised if this falls into the Ghostbusters territory with time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Indeed it is. That scene probably raised the CScore by at least half a grade as it may end up being the live action scene of the summer depending on what M:I or Oppenheimer deliver.

That’s a tease. Looking forward to watch this.

Just watched it. Crystal Skull was better, at least as the ending for the character, and it lacks Spielberg's magic that was partially present even in Skull. You can clearly see that ending could've been reshot and the exact point where. De-aging is average, old voice is distracting, CGI in crazy third act feels cartoonish. It's ok I guess, but it has no reason to exist other than money and Ford's desire to repeat good old days. Shame.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Disney blowing through their Avatar profits in six months. Current climate is way too risky to be putting all their eggs in expensive baskets. 

it’s fine because the lesson they’ll learn from all this is: make better movies.

right?

1 hour ago, setna said:

I grew up with Indiana Jones, I'm in my 50s now so he was a childhood hero along with rambo. I'll be honest with you guys, I was very hesitant to get excited for this movie because Spielberg was not directing. You're missing the two creative geniuses who made the movie and we just left with Harrison Ford which is good but Spielberg and Lucas were also the backbone of these movies. But the trailer reeled me in. I know a lot of people said the trailer really wasn't that good but for me it captured the essence of Indiana jones. I do agree with you though that no Spielberg has kept some people away but I'm still going to see it this weekend and I do believe I'm going to enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

it’s fine because the lesson they’ll learn from all this is: make better movies.

right?

have to be good sure, but they surely have to get way more economical after these recent burns. Most of it their own doing of course, but they can’t go on like they are. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

What are holdover numbers?

It's an enigma, the mystery wrapped inside of a riddle

There was a member here who said The only reason why Indiana Jones was made was because of money and for Ford to live out his heyday. I don't know how many times this has to be said, movies are not made for charity. They are business first and foremost, and they are a gigantic business first and foremost. It doesn't matter if Wes Anderson is making a movie or if Disney is spending $290 million on an Indiana Jones movie, they're made so somebody can make a profit off of it.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

There was a member here who said The only reason why Indiana Jones was made was because of money and for Ford to live out his heyday. I don't know how many times this has to be said, movies are not made for charity. They are business first and foremost, and they are a gigantic business first and foremost. It doesn't matter if Wes Anderson is making a movie or if Disney is spending $290 million on an Indiana Jones movie, they're made so somebody can make a profit off of it.

Very true, but there's a balancing act that has to be made with every movie between the profit motive, and the creative one. It is perfectly possible to produce great storytelling and character in movies that are also profitable. If a movie is motivated by the desire to tell a good story, then that, in and of itself, is also something likely to be profitable.

Dial Of Destiny (or Skull for that matter) was clearly not motivated by telling a good story - because Indy's story was already told and completed at the end of Last Crusade. These two movies are purely driven by the desire to profit even more off an IP that creatively had been finished.

Disney (especially Lucasfilm under Kennedy) are not in the business of creating these days. They are in the business of drawing on past successes, without having to put effort into creating new stories and characters. That's the problem.

Edited by FunkMiller

So you think that Disney spent $290 million on dial of Destiny and they didn't think that they had a fantastic product that everybody would want to see? So in other words Disney just did one rewrite on the script probably hired a director in 3 hours and slapped a crew together and told them to go out to Tunisia or Macau or whatever exotic locations they were filming on knowing full well that their movie was subpar and they were going to lose perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars on it?

I don't buy that for a second. You don't invest that kind of money into a product if you're not absolutely sure that the film is going to appeal to people. Doesn't mean that it's going to but I highly doubt that they were disappointed in the finished product.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Disney blowing through their Avatar profits in six months. Current climate is way too risky to be putting all their eggs in expensive baskets. 

They have used a huge risk/huge reward blockbuster movies almost exclusively strategy to great effect BO wise through the 2010s and 2020s...however, this year especially (since I exclude the Covid years), it's not paying off.  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yeah, that was me. Still doesn't justify ending the franchise on a lower note than Skull, they made narrative decisions they shouldn't have made in the first place and it has nothing to do with "it's just business", they want a well received movie that would make a lot of money for them. I was initially optimistic because of Mangold, didn't care about plot rumors (which are completely false by the way) and all the negativity. It feels like Rambo 5 after Rambo 4, completely unnecessary movie and worse ending for its lead character.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

So you think that Disney spent $290 million on dial of Destiny and they didn't think that they had a fantastic product that everybody would want to see? So in other words Disney just did one rewrite on the script probably hired a director in 3 hours and slapped a crew together and told them to go out to Tunisia or Macau or whatever exotic locations they were filming on knowing full well that their movie was subpar and they were going to lose perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars on it?

I don't buy that for a second. You don't invest that kind of money into a product if you're not absolutely sure that the film is going to appeal to people. Doesn't mean that it's going to but I highly doubt that they were disappointed in the finished product.

Of course they did. But that doesn't make it true - as is clearly being proven by the box office returns. 

And they invested that huge sum of money in the movie because they thought they were on to a safe bet by simply bringing back Indiana Jones. They didn't make this movie because they felt they had a creative, interesting or compelling story to tell, they made it because Indy is a big IP that they thought they could sell again.

They're (happily) being proved wrong on that. If the failure of this film shows Disney that they have to tell more compelling stories, that don't just rely on rehashing popular IP, then that can only be a good thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I grew up with Indiana Jones, I'm in my 50s now so he was a childhood hero along with rambo. I'll be honest with you guys, I was very hesitant to get excited for this movie because Spielberg was not directing. You're missing the two creative geniuses who made the movie and we just left with Harrison Ford which is good but Spielberg and Lucas were also the backbone of these movies. But the trailer reeled me in. I know a lot of people said the trailer really wasn't that good but for me it captured the essence of Indiana jones. I do agree with you though that no Spielberg has kept some people away but I'm still going to see it this weekend and I do believe I'm going to enjoy it.

Yeh, i´m also on my 50¨s and of course loved Indy. Temple of Doom is the only movie in my life i went 3 times in the first 3 weeks, and it´s sad to see Ford so old, but it´s like it is. 
Of course Spielberg & Lucas was the right team, but we know what happened with Lucasfilm....

I think in some years Disney will recast Indy and they´ll try to get more money with the character, but i think will be very hard not to associate Indy with Ford, very diffciult, at least for people who loved the first three movies.

I hope you enjoy in theater watching it, i won´t go, Disney killed all my hopes after killing Han Solo, how can be this possible???

I still can´t forgive this....

• Like 2