Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

On 7/1/2023 at 2:21 PM, MovieMan89 said:

I have brought this up before, but there has never been a period in Disney history where their animation department struggling hasn’t led to a huge downturn/rough time for the whole company. Quite literally never. That’s always a harbinger for them. 

Your MCU stuff doesn’t add up either, since the only ones that have been a true success for them since EG are No Way Home, Shang Chi, and Guardians. 2/3 are the era ending I was talking about, and Guardians wouldn’t have been a hit at all if it didn’t have some insane WOM. Proving how damaged MCU really is.  

You wouldn't consider Dr. Strange 2, Thor 4, and BP 2 successes at the box office?!

24 minutes ago, KC7 said:

For all the criticisms of budgets today, including Dial of Destiny's, it's interesting to remember that Disney spent at least $250 million on f***ing John Carter, a movie with no stars and no name recognition, in 2012. That would be well over $331 million today, higher than even the latest DoD numbers Deadline leaked. That's completely insane.

I really like John Carter - think it's wonderfully pulpy and contains some super inventive action concepts, and Stanton is a hell of a director - but it's a clear example of a studio giving carte blanche to a concept that was doomed from the start. Should have cost at least $100 million less frankly.

4 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

You wouldn't consider Dr. Strange 2, Thor 4, and BP 2 successes at the box office?!

Meant to include BP, my bad. The other two did way more harm than good even if they were technically profitable. No way I’d count them as a “success” for MCU, big reason we’re here in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyways, I wonder what Disney does with the Indy IP now? It legitimately wouldn’t surprise me to see them just bury it entirely with how much money this will lose and all the fuss and drama that will come with any kind of reboot. 

Doubt we'll see an Indy film again, and if we do it will WAY down the line. Seems like this is it.

I know ragging on these studios and how much they spend on these tentpoles is the theme of the weekend, but is that really a fixable solution? Disregarding COVID protocols

and potential reshoots, even taking out $50 million in the budget means you would take out major scenes and actors out of your movies, which will hurt the movies creatively. Even if it doesn’t turn out good in the end, I feel like “lower the budget” can cancel things out when it comes to WOM and quality and longevity.

I dunno. Just feels like one of those scenarios where we can’t really fix this. Even going down the New Hollywood route of cheap movies doesn’t work in a post-streaming world.

• Like 1

If a film with Ford flopped this badly, don't see why it would work with a new face. It would turn a lot of old folks off. They tried with Shia, no doubt he would have taken over the franchise had CRYSTALL SKULL not been a complete trainwreck. So maybe they do a TV series some point and if the reaction is good then they can think about another theatrical release.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

22 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I had a sort of similar experience with The Boogeyman. For the first thirty minutes there were these annoying kids in the front row that were talking and using their phones until they ran out. 

Here’s what weird thought: my uncle and aunt saw the movie a few weeks later, and the same thing happened to them. When they brought it up to management, they said it was apparently a trend going on in local theaters with this movie in particular and it’s happened several times. 

There were very talkative teens that ruined my experience for The Boogeyman too! That was the worst theater experience I've had!

Sorry if someone already posted this and I missed it, but this is an interesting thread. (I'm going to post all the tweets since I've been having trouble opening tweets without being logged in, so maybe others do too.)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

When you produce a movie, you should know your audience. Lucasfilm doesn't know their audience. They never did. Kathleen tanked all of their franchises by injecting things in them their audience didn't want. Who wants to see Indy giving classes in a Z grade University and being told for an entire movie that he is old and outdated by an annoying kid and female lead in a movie that looks like any CBM CGI snoozefest out there? Top Gun Maverick would have tanked as well if it was like this.

should have taken more influences from Top Gun Maverick and Picard Season 3 instead of the Star Wars sequels 

• Like 1

Since she stars in the film and I've seen her potential impact referenced here, they did probably think getting Waller-Bridge would increase interest in millennial and Gen Z women, but I don't think that was all that well utilized. Which makes me think, Waller-Bridge would be one of the most interesting voices in a possible come back era for the adult comedy in theaters we been talking about. But yea, I don't know how much interest she has in all that. A co-star role in big franchise like Indy is a crazy gig for her and she's doing a Tomb Raider show for Amazon so her career aspirations seem elsewhere for now.

Edited by toutvabien

18 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

It's the effect of using all your other characters as foils that drive away half your audience. It's telling you didn't include TLJ, Solo, or Rise of Skywalker, but by all means allow smugness tp make your points.

Rank Movie Distributor Domestic
Box
Office
Opening
Weekend
Box Office
Max
Theater
Count
1 Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Walt Disney $620,181,382 $220,009,584 4,232
2 Beauty and the Beast Walt Disney $504,014,165 $174,750,616 4,210
3 Wonder Woman Warner Bros. $412,563,408 $103,251,471 4,165

What Rey as to do with Solo failure now ?

Listen, we can debate about the legacy of the Sequels and the future of the franchise until we're blue in the face. 

But Rey is undeniably a massive character and well-liked. Anyone who says otherwise is massively our of touch. Her merchandise is consistently the best-selling for modern Star Wars stuff, she is a massive draw at the theme parks, and Ridely's performance consistently earned top marks. 

Anyone who says Rey was the issue with the Sequel Trilogy is way too influenced by chronically-online internet nerds.

19 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Sorry if someone already posted this and I missed it, but this is an interesting thread. (I'm going to post all the tweets since I've been having trouble opening tweets without being logged in, so maybe others do too.)

All 3 movies will do well, but that’s a fact, the minute MI7 ended up successful but in the same range of 6 people will compared to Top Gun for no reason 

If Barbie doesn’t manage to turn into a mini Mario, people will have a meltdown over it even if 200M DOM would be successful already (I’m thinking +300M quite easily but still i know the appeal of social media phenomenons can be quite frontloaded so i won’t be mad with +200)

Same for Oppenheimer which only needs ~150M DOM to be wildly successful 

Now that the industry themselves killed nearly every movie that isn’t IP-driven they’re became hostages of a lot of franchises that people don’t care anymore, and the weight of all these flops will be throw at the July big movies that is coming with insanely expectations.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Starphanluke said:

Listen, we can debate about the legacy of the Sequels and the future of the franchise until we're blue in the face. 

But Rey is undeniably a massive character and well-liked. Anyone who says otherwise is massively our of touch. Her merchandise is consistently the best-selling for modern Star Wars stuff, she is a massive draw at the theme parks, and Ridely's performance consistently earned top marks. 

Anyone who says Rey was the issue with the Sequel Trilogy is way too influenced by chronically-online internet nerds.

Only beautiful people like Queen Rey. It's a certified fact. Look it up.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

Damn I didn't think this would open similarly to pirates 5. Kinda sad to see, I thought even it wasn't all that great that surely Indiana Jones would have more excitement just in the brand than this. I guess Indy just doesn't have the same generational interest that some other older brands have, where people will come out in mass regardless of quality. 

I know my generation much prefers POTC. Rightfully so, in my opinion....(I say that as a fan of Indy).

I'm a black woman and Left leaning and I too am sick of Disney's obsession with the old hero with a destroyed life trope. The heroes don't have to be perfect but I'm sick of that plot line. It is beyond depressing. You can make your hero flawed without recycling that plotline yet again. Enough of that.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm a black woman and Left leaning and I too am sick of Disney's obsession with the old hero with a destroyed life trope. The heroes don't have to be perfect but I'm sick of that plot line. It is beyond depressing. You can make your hero flawed without recycling that plotline yet again. Enough of that.

Every plotline in every Hollywood movie is recycled and the hero journey is way more overused and yet everyone loves it. 

I believe sometimes we should just come in piece with the fact the we don’t like something without trying to proof why it’s objectively a bad thing. 

• Like 1

I was thinking of the state of franchises and IPs and Jumanji came to mind and I've been thinking, how on Earth have they not made another one of these already after how insanely successful the last two were just a couple years ago? Apparently they are working on another one but you'd think that would have a new installment ready to go by now.