Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

6 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Doesn’t the sheer amount of people that review films let’s say on rt verified offset the small random sample from CS and PT? Sure there will be the fanboys and the haters, but what about everyone in between?

Random sample will be a more accurate reflection than a system where people have to put in effort to make their voice heard, because then you're limiting it people who 1) even know such a system exists and 2) have some motivation to record their score. That's going to exclude a lot of in the middle voices, who didn't hate or love something enough to care if their opinion is recorded in the count

The volume of verified score may be higher, but its skewed very hard towards certain segments of population and therefore not as representative of overall public opinion (still useful though)

11 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

What I read I have to agree with @baumer. There might be a weird following, but the film itself got generally positive reviews and no forced agenda behind it other than telling the story based on true events. Variety gave it a fresh review as well. 

Yeah the film is about a real topic

If people think it means there was a pedo ring in the back of a pizza shop attended by Hillary Clinton thst is people not the film lol

This "pay it forward" thing explains what I saw yesterday at the theater.  At my Cinemark, Sound of Freedom had 10 showtimes yesterday and almost everyone was sold out online.  We saw a 3:30pm showing of Elemental (the movie was good) on the way to the  showing I walked into the Sound of Freedom auditorium and their we like 15-20 people watching the movie in a 50 seat auditorium yet online it was sold out. Anyone, who works at a theater and notice the same thing?

Edited by JimmyB
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Yeah the film is about a real topic

If people think it means there was a pedo ring in the back of a pizza shop attended by Hillary Clinton thst is people not the film lol

It's definitely not about a pizza-gate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The GOAT said:

TBF they're literally handing out free tickets

Sort of - they are letting folks donate and prebuy other folks tickets...and then handing them out through Atom.

It's a unique "crowdfund people to the movies" concept.  Individuals doing it vs a corporation.

And, I'll admit - once I saw the Variety review, I took my own Slickdeals code and got 2 free tickets, b/c my spouse and I haven't been solo to the movies in forever.  I'm not going til the 10th, but it will be a nice date b/c going to the movies always is, no matter the quality of the film (and if it sucks, I'll be sure to tell you all b/c I don't usually hold back:).

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

Sound of Freedom as a film looks largely non-offensive, not any more than other dramatized, sanitized, and lionizing "based on a true story" retelling

But ... Angel Studios knew exactly what they were doing in picking it up and promoting it, how it would play to certain groups of people who would gladly open up their wallets and pocketbooks. Their gift ticket idea is both ingenious and entirely cynical, preying on people who have fallen down conspiracy rabbit holes and getting them to buy multiples of tickets because it would help "spread the word", many of them not being used

So when I see $5M+ OD (sorry, not previews), find it difficult to be happy or impressed, more just sad at how much of that reported figure is the result of people being taken advantage of, lining the pockets of the distributor

• Like 17
  • Knock It Off 2

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Sound of Freedom as a film looks largely non-offensive, not any more than other dramatized, sanitized, and lionizing "based on a true story" retelling

But ... Angel Studios knew exactly what they were doing in picking it up and promoting it, how it would play to certain groups of people who would gladly open up their wallets and pocketbooks. Their gift ticket idea is both ingenious and entirely cynical, preying on people who have fallen down conspiracy rabbit holes and getting them to buy multiples of tickets because it would help "spread the word", many of them not being used

So when I see $5M+ OD (sorry, not previews), find it difficult to be happy or impressed, more just sad at how much of that reported figure is the result of people being taken advantage of, lining the pockets of the distributor

I dunno.  I take the opposite tack.  Two Indie creators from Mexico got a company to finally release their small secular film so people could watch it, and now they may actually get some good press from it.  Movie theaters, which just endured a very subpar weekend and were looking at a dire week have unexpected revenue coming in day after weekday for a limited film, which NEVER happens.  And some folks, yes, are getting to donate money, money they probably would have donated anyway for a worse cause, but here it helps movies and the movie industry, so oops on them:).  And folks (especially parents) who'd like to see a movie get free tickets they can actually have seats for anywhere in the country (vs the normal city centered movie free premieres which also don't guarantee seats, so parents really never have a chance at those).

I mean, I see it as win/win/win/win.  Yes, there's a little loss somewhere to Angel Studios, but the rest - all good.  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I dunno.  I take the opposite tack.  Two Indie creators from Mexico got a company to finally release their small secular film so people could watch it, and now they may actually get some good press from it.  Movie theaters, which just endured a very subpar weekend and were looking at a dire week have revenue coming in day after weekday for a limited film, which NEVER happens.  And some folks, yes, are getting to donate money, money they probably would have donated anyway for a worse cause, but here it helps movies and the movie industry, so oops on them:).  And folks (especially parents) who'd like to see a movie get free tickets they can actually have seats for anywhere in the country (vs the normal city centered movie free premieres which also don't guarantee seats, so parents really never have a chance at those).

I mean, I see it as win/win/win/win.  Yes, there's a little loss somewhere to Angel Studios, but the rest - all good.  

I’m sure pharmacies enjoyed the added revenue from sales of opioids too, but when you’re making profit of conspiracy addicts, sorry, I don’t see that as win

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, M37 said:

I’m sure pharmacies enjoyed the added revenue from sales of opioids too, but when you’re making profit of conspiracy addicts, sorry, I don’t see that as win

I do see your point...but in a summer where movies and theaters are struggling more than most expected them to, I'll take the shot of adrenaline from anyone who wants to provide it.  The MTCs need it...and who knows.  Maybe this spurs another studio to use this approach for limiteds, and the limiteds which have been such dire releases actually start making a comeback...

Lots of folks have been worried about how limiteds could survive and thrive.  Maybe we cracked the code unintentionally this week.  And that's a good thing.  Or some other studio sees this campaign and tries a new plan for their limited to see if something else might work.

Or maybe it's a holiday where I slept in and have too good a mood:).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

See this is why I don't get about your stance. How is human trafficking a conspiracy? It happens every day in every country in the world. Why are you considering this a conspiracy? It's a movie it's trying to expose child and human trafficking.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

See this is why I don't get about your stance. How is human trafficking a conspiracy? It happens every day in every country in the world. Why are you considering this a conspiracy? It's a movie it's trying to expose child and human trafficking.

The conspirancy M37 is speaking is about the studios "manipulating" people to buy many gift tickets.

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

The conspirancy M37 is speaking is about the studios "manipulating" people to buy many gift tickets.

That's not how I read it.

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think part of the problem is trying to separate the fact and the fiction.  Obviously human trafficking is very real, nobody is going to dispute that. 

However, the lead actor is VERY deep in the fiction and as you can see, it's hard to have a legitimate conversation about the topic of the film because of this.  It's a lot of baggage for a film with a serious subject matter.  

If Caviezel weren't in this, I wonder if we would be talking about it at all?

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 4

I would like to see studios come up with more interesting ways like this to bring people into the theatre. Paying it forward, Atom ticket deals, etc. Out of the box thinking to get butts in seats is needed these days.

Even leaning into the Barbieheimer double feature dialogue of twitter would be helpful. The starts of some movies are promoting each others movies (Cruise and Robbie). Even small things like this can have an impact. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Human/child trafficking exposure is questionable?

2 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

From what I can gather from Twitter, it is the extreme right wing that is adopting this movie. The user on here who said that they are giving tickets away for free is technically correct as well. On the distributors website, you can “gift” tickets by buying them so others can have them for free. The result is that extreme right people are buying tickets in bulk in hopes that other extreme right wingers go see it. It seems to be working too. 

I won’t post any of the tweets here, as some of them are quite unhinged, Q-Anon related. But those interested can look it up on Twitter. To be fair, it seems the movie itself only vaguely references extreme right beliefs, but QAnon is eating it up and insists the sequel will dive further into their beliefs, it’s just the the general public isn’t “ready” to handle the full picture yet.

This.

The film isn’t becoming popular just because it’s about human trafficking exposure. It’s a shelved movie with no stars. Let’s not play dumb here. 

A quick twitter search shows you the kind of people championing this film. Ulterior  motives. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This.

The film isn’t becoming popular just because it’s about human trafficking exposure. It’s a shelved movie with no stars. Let’s not play dumb here. 

A quick twitter search shows you the kind of people championing this film. Ulterior  motives. 

I'm not playing dumb at all. The commercials for it the trailers that I've seen the people endorsing it are all talking about human trafficking and child trafficking.  It's the only reason why I want to see the movie.

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

It’s not like Earth is flat, but in the same way real but very low probability adverse effects from vaccines becomes a massive big pharma cover-up about autism or 5G or whatever. Belief in an organized, coordinated, behind the scenes effort to do bad things is what makes it a conspiracy theory 

• ...wtf 2