Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Indiana Jones 5 could have done a lot better. The and will from not just from Crystal Skull but recent Lucasfilm movies and the weak trailers crippled it from the beginning though and the Cannes buzz sealed its fate. People are more selective about what they go to see now and audiences assumed Flash and Indy 5 would be stinkers

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Interesting comment from Deadline

I’ve heard some scuttlebutt that one of the questions surrounding Dial of Destiny and Elemental were over-inflated test scores, which encouraged Disney to brazenly send both movies to Cannes — in hindsight, a huge mistake. I’m still looking into this. However, the studio, with its top secret franchise MCU and Lucasfilm fare, typically uses a ‘friends and family’ testing system so that no spoilers are leaked in advance. Perhaps it’s time to look under the hood and see if that sampling is still working.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-1235427644/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I agree as a 29 year old, LOTR wasn't the best example. Harry Potter and Pirates are kind of toxic assets now though so that was why I used it. Shrek is Incredibles 2 numbers waiting to happen, can't believe they are still sitting on it. 

If the end of Puss 2 is anything to go by, they have already started production

I don't know regarding Indy, yes the over 40s are its biggest market but there's a sizable amount of Indy fans under that age. In elementary school for me (I'm 24, turning 25 in September) Indy was considered cool and Crystal Skull was big news. I feel like any arguments made about Indy being 'too old' could've also applied to Top Gun: Maverick but like...way more. The simple matter at the end of the day is there is not a simple one-size-fits-all solution to IPs and Indy 5's problems was way more then just the brand. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

I don't know what Applegate movie you are referring to, it should not automatically be the actresses fault, and I can't imagine an argument where Christina Applegate isn't hot enough, but for Indy 5 and PWB, she is 90% of the reason I won't see this movie so that's 6 tickets lost. Hell I probably would have gone again if it was good and made some room for the older generation so even more tickets.

Indiana Jones is probably my favorite film franchise (that or Mission Impossible) and I won't see this movie. I have $5,000 of Star Wars ships on the shelves behind me and I have never seen Rise of Skywalker, Mandolorian, Bobba Fett, Obi Wan series. They aren't made for me and I know I'll get nothing out of them. PWB in the trailers told me Indy 5 was joining those titles.

It's sad they have to antagonize previous generations so much, I didn't have a great relationship with my Dad but when I think about something we did have in common, it's movies and baseball. Movies aren't supposed to be like this. Stories are supposed to bridge values from one generation to the next, not ostracize.

Several insiders and rival distrib execs have their theories in regards to what went wrong with Vacation. One thought that pairing Christina Applegate together with Helms wasn’t the ideal combo for maximum B.O. results (conversely, a Will Ferrell-Applegate combo worked for Anchorman). Whenever the conversation arises about the quintessential femme co-star in a film, many typically point to Jennifer Aniston (who was key in hooking females to We’re the Millers and Horrible Bosses). This doesn’t mean that Applegate can’t do comedy or isn’t good, heck she fake puked for hours during production and hung upside down in roller coaster in Vacation. Cruise just hung outside of an airplane in M:I5. This is all about putting the right blocks together to build the perfect summer comedy. I understand that she did score quite well in testing. But as is the case with all films, no matter how well you market and stack it, you don’t know how it’s going to fly until it opens.  Rentrak’s PostTrak reports that 25% attended Vacation because it was an R-rated raunchy comedy, while only 12% of the opening day’s audience came out for the cast.

Vacation was also more evenly split between males and females than M:I5 with 51% to 49%.  In addition, the trailers sent mixed signals. One rival studio marketing executive said that there wasn’t enough nostalgia factor, and 30-second TV spots failed to set-up and pay-off jokes properly. Largely absent from trailers and TV spots was the Vacation title theme song “ - https://deadline.com/2015/08/mission-impossible-rogue-nation-vacation-box-office-1201488017/

This is what @rebelscum86 is referencing. 

45+ audience skew for Indy from Deadline...and other demos through Friday...and new weekend projection is $60M...(Men under 25 15%, Women under 25 7%)

"Couple that with sour reviews coming out of Cannes, plus the finale’s older skewing audience (42% over 45) who are slow to come to cinemas, and here we are with a less-than-stellar box office result."

"–PostTrak’s audience is 79% and four stars. The leading guy 25+ ticket buyers at 43% are giving it a 77% grade. That’s not good. Overall, men at a 58% turnout are giving a 74% grade."

-..."women like Dial of Destiny better than men with a 85% grade. Women over 25, who showed up at 35%, give it an 86%."

"–The older Dial of Destiny‘s audience gets, the better the grades with the 45-55 sect (19% turnout) giving it 83% and the over 55 people (at 23%) giving it 89%."

"–Diversity demos were 54% Caucasian (79% grade), 18% Latino and Hispanic (80% grade), Black at 10% (73% grade), and Asian 13% (80% grade)."

"–Pic played Destiny played best in the West, Mountain and Mid-West. PLF and Imax driving 37% of the weekend to date. Disney’s El Capitan in Los Angeles is the top grossing theater so far with $114K running cume."

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-1235427644/

Edited by TwoMisfits

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

"–The older Dial of Destiny‘s audience gets, the better the grades with the 45-55 sect (19% turnout) giving it 83% and the over 55 people (at 23%) giving it 89%."

That's a nice way of saying "people under 45 gave the film a 69/70% grade" which is pretty horrible. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Looks like only Sound of Freedom can save us all. 

The presales at my local AMCs are absolutely bananas and even looking at the Empire 25, there are already some half full showtimes on Monday. Principal photography wrapped in 2018 and Disney inherited it in the Fox merger, but didn't want it. They wouldn’t have known how to market it anyway. Angel Studios has a nice deal (for them) going where the crowdfund the P&A, the major studios could never...

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The presales at my local AMCs are absolutely bananas and even looking at the Empire 25, there are already some half full showtimes on Monday. Principal photography wrapped in 2018 and Disney inherited it in the Fox merger, but didn't want it. They wouldn’t have known how to market it anyway. Angel Studios has a nice deal (for them) going where the crowdfund the P&A, the major studios could never...

I wouldn't be surprised if Sound of Freedom wins Tuesday next week...if not, I'd expect it at #2...

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

I know we're a box office forum but jacking off Sound of Freedom feels incredibly weird to me.

It's just pointing out reality.  Theaters will enjoy the box office receipts from anyone that can sell tickets.  Just like I point out when a foreign film seems like it's gonna make Cinemark bank (since Cinemark books a LOT of Indian and anime movies), I also point out when limited films will do the same for Cinemark.

At this point, the box office for Sound of Freedom's 1st 3 days is gonna be much higher that Ruby's 3 day gross this weekend.  And that's noteworthy, when we worry about theater chain survival.  This will be a nice shot in the arm that this weekend's openers and next weekend's openers weren't quite delivering...especially for slower weekdays...

• Like 1

I really think there is validity at this point to doomposting regarding Disney’s immediate movie future. I mean we’re talking about a studio that defied all logic for mass success last decade and decimated everything, getting used to huge budgets and whatnot. But what do they have now that looks like any kind of sure thing for them? Absolutely nothing.

Their animation department (aka the heart and soul of the brand) is in deep trouble all around if everything  post-Encanto is anything to go by, MCU can only get a hit these days with an “era ending” movie not connected to the future, and now Lucasfilm has officially shit the bed too with SW and Indy both proving to be far from sure shots at a hit for them.

They have quite literally run out of appealing live action remakes now to the point that they’re making one from an animated movie from a mere 7 years ago and a sequel to their most hated live action remake absolutely no one asked for, bc they are clearly getting desperate with those. They don’t have any huge current main studio IP either, like Pirates back in the day.

Again, sounds doom and gloom, but they really are in a position right now to be thrust to the dark dark ages in their film divisions the company has not seen since the 80s. Except this time they are the biggest entertainment brand ever, so the fall from grace is/will be far more brutal Totally crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah so Indy is dead. Silver lining, I guess, it is was always meant to end a franchise, not start one. So much for going out on a high note, though. 

The story of the Flash continues to somehow get worse and worse each week. It's almost sad to watch now. 

Otherwise, really nothing remarkable going on. Transformers has quietly had better late legs than I would've expected. Not amazing, but solid. I think $150m might actually happen. 

Edited by Starphanluke

1 hour ago, rebelscum86 said:

I don't know what Applegate movie you are referring to, it should not automatically be the actresses fault, and I can't imagine an argument where Christina Applegate isn't hot enough, but for Indy 5 and PWB, she is 90% of the reason I won't see this movie so that's 6 tickets lost. Hell I probably would have gone again if it was good and made some room for the older generation so even more tickets.

Indiana Jones is probably my favorite film franchise (that or Mission Impossible) and I won't see this movie. I have $5,000 of Star Wars ships on the shelves behind me and I have never seen Rise of Skywalker, Mandolorian, Bobba Fett, Obi Wan series. They aren't made for me and I know I'll get nothing out of them. PWB in the trailers told me Indy 5 was joining those titles.

It's sad they have to antagonize previous generations so much, I didn't have a great relationship with my Dad but when I think about something we did have in common, it's movies and baseball. Movies aren't supposed to be like this. Stories are supposed to bridge values from one generation to the next, not ostracize.

Dude what the hell are you even going on about lmao

• Like 2