Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Next year's box office looks utterly dull on paper. Nothing is a lock for a billion, and I don't personally see much huge breakout potential in anything except for maybe a few movies. Hopefully this jinxes things and we see all-out craziness week in, week out. 😜

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Good points though studios don't make necessarily good decisions. Disney turned Willow into a series and it flopped so hard they removed it from D+. I don't know what they expected from a show based on a George Lucas turkey.

If you are going to editorialize on repeat about Willow you should first check your information.

Because if making a shade under 4x your budget worldwide from theatrical alone is a turkey, then cinema would have stopped functioning 35 years ago.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marathon said:

Next year's box office looks utterly dull on paper. Nothing is a lock for a billion, and I don't personally see much huge breakout potential in anything except for maybe a few movies. Hopefully this jinxes things and we see all-out craziness week in, week out. 😜

The strike makes it look even bleaker if an already thin slate has to get spread out. I think Deadpool 3 is the only thing with much of any chance at 1b. And with a CBM sequel like that, it’s always possible WOM sucks, in which case it would be a major disappointment at the BO. 

• Thanks 1

I looked at the list of films that made a billion and since 2020

Only

Avatar 2, No Way Home, and Top Gun. Super mario

One thing i noticed these are super massive event films and no longer do okay decent films just sleepwalk to 1 billion plus anymore which was so common in 2018 and 2019.

There are a lot of films in that era i would doubt would get close to a billion today.

Jurrasic world was one I think. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The strike makes it look even bleaker if an already thin slate has to get spread out. I think Deadpool 3 is the only thing with much of any chance at 1b. And with a CBM sequel like that, it’s always possible WOM sucks, in which case it would be a major disappointment at the BO. 

Agreed about DP3. Sadly, I think that cashgrab Mufasa could do it cause drop from TLK's 1.6B to 1B is reasonable. 

I think Gladiator 2 has an outside chance cause there will be nothing like it in cinemas and star power is hard to ignore + nostalgia.

Just now, Valonqar said:

Agreed about DP3. Sadly, I think that cashgrab Mufasa could do it cause drop from TLK's 1.6B to 1B is reasonable. 

I think Gladiator 2 has an outside chance cause there will be nothing like it in cinemas and star power is hard to ignore + nostalgia.

Mufasa is headed for a near Alice to Alice 2 drop off unless the WOM is shockingly amazing. You can definitely quote me on that. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, AJG said:

I still don't know. Every anime-US comic book fusion has been horrible (except the Japanese X-Men intro)

Yeah the track is really spotty so that's why it's a little like "wtf" to me, but the staff list is what gets me curious. Even if it's bad, it will at least be interesting simply cause Tappei as a writer is always interesting and ambitious.

Watching the first Mission: Impossible movie to catch up before Dead Reckoning, and it was a terrific use of repurposing an expired IP with name value but a new feel and cast. It'd be like if they made a big budget X-Files movie that is totally detached from the TV show and stars like Bradley Cooper and Emily Blunt. If they get desperate for IP maybe they try this.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Mufasa is headed for a near Alice to Alice 2 drop off unless the WOM is shockingly amazing. You can definitely quote me on that. 

I agree with you.  There was a large unhappiness with the quality of the "live action" Lion King that will leave most folks on the sidelines for the sequel unless and until superior quality is shown.  So, barring the unexpected (b/c I don't expect superior quality), it will be largely a Disney base only type of event (which, admittedly, is quite large), vs a true 4 quadrant one...

I'd have my marker on matching or under TLM for DOM...max...

No idea how the world will react, though...

Edited by TwoMisfits

41 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah the drop off is about to be huge, though I don't know if it will be as big cause the drop off between Alice and Alice 2 is just WOW. Will be funny to see regardless though.

Sincerely hoping it's good cause it's Barry Jenkins and if anybody can actually make a good movie out of this bad idea it's him, but I'm keeping my expectations in check.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Watching the first Mission: Impossible movie to catch up before Dead Reckoning, and it was a terrific use of repurposing an expired IP with name value but a new feel and cast. It'd be like if they made a big budget X-Files movie that is totally detached from the TV show and stars like Bradley Cooper and Emily Blunt. If they get desperate for IP maybe they try this.

Another thing about that movie is that Jon Voight is the only one playing one of the main characters from the original series. So it’s like making an X Files movie and the main villain is Mulder played by a different actor.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean I'd watch that lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Inside out 2 I think will be a hit, out of all the original pixar movies that is likely their most popular most liked film apart from Coco in the last decade. 

It's hard to say just how big of a hit it will be right now but I'm pretty confident that will one of the bigger films of the year. Very important to note that while Coco is more popular internationally, Inside Out is far and way Pixar's biggest domestic hit on an original since Finding Nemo (in fact unadjusted it's their biggest domestic original) so I suspect it will be a very DOM heavy film.

Yeah, that new Lion King is destined for bomb city. The big problem these remakes have, even the better of them, is their only hook is the novelty of seeing the songs and sequences and aesthetics from the animated movie "come to life". This obviously works, and even from different movie to different movie, but that doesn't really get people excited to see a follow-up. Alice 2 and Maleficent 2 learned this, even if the latter still did fine enough. Even if the Will Smith slap didn't happen and Aladdin 2 was fast-tracked, it would have done like half of the last movie. People want to see the stuff they want to see they remembered when they were kids and nothing else.

The only way to really continue these live-action remake universes if you want franchise extensions is to just make a Disney+ series. Something you see while scrolling on Disney+ and say, "yeah, why not?"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Forgot about Gladiator 2. I wonder if that could actually be a giant smash breakout if the quality is there. The original is probably one of the most loved blockbusters of all time 

16 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Inside out 2 I think will be a hit, out of all the original pixar movies that is likely their most popular most liked film apart from Coco in the last decade. 

But a sequel to the movie sounds stupid in theory. Could still work out, but not a guarantee. 

• Like 1