Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think toxic wom would still mean dropping fast, especially with another acclaimed PG rated option out in Spiderverse. "Ok" would be 3x. I don't know why but you keep dodging the point that it's doing absolute gangbusters in Korea even by regular Pixar standards, you can't chalk that up to everyone just thinking it's "ok".

Because I don’t follow OS box office as closely most of the time. I have pretty much exclusively been talking about DOM. I think the movie has good WOM. Think like Finding Dory or something if I had to make a WOM immediate comp. Nothing spectacular like top Pixar WOM, Frozen, Zootopia, Puss 2 etc 

Edited by MovieMan89

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Because I don’t follow OS box office as closely most of the time. I have pretty much exclusively been talking about DOM. I think the movie has good WOM. Think like Finding Dory or something if I had to make a WOM immediate comp. Nothing spectacular like top Pixar WOM, Frozen, Zootopia, Puss 2 etc 

Well Finding Dory WOM would still be pretty solid. That movie managed a 3.6 off a 135 opening (on par with WALL-E's legs). Not much new can be said about Elemental's opening weekend at this point but it's really holding on as much as it can given all the competition around it. Until it shows signs of slowing down I really don't see the point of diminishing its holds, which have been about as good as they can possibly be across the board. 

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well Finding Dory WOM would still be pretty solid. That movie managed a 3.6 off a 135 opening (on par with WALL-E's legs). Not much new can be said about Elemental's opening weekend at this point but it's really holding on as much as it can given all the competition around it. Until it shows signs of slowing down I really don't see the point of diminishing its holds, which have been about as good as they can possibly be across the board. 

And I’m arguing we would see a summer version of PiB 2s run if WOM were that amazing. Like a 7x+ multi. And that Pixar needs something that amazing to help the brand right now. Basically my whole point. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And I’m arguing we would see a summer version of PiB 2s run if WOM were that amazing. Like a 7x+ multi. And that Pixar needs something that amazing to help the brand right now. Basically my whole point. 

That point is silly. How often is it that any wide release in the summer manages those kinds of legs, let alone a Pixar movie? Even seminal WOM hits like Bridesmaids and Hangover came up short in the 5-6 vicinity

Edited by AniNate

Would you guys consider "No Hard Feelings" to be a moderate success? for a low-mid budget flick? R rated at that. 

If so, You have to give props to Jennifer Lawrence because she probably deserves that $25 mil paycheck. 

Just now, The GOAT said:

Would you guys consider "No Hard Feelings" to be a moderate success? for a low-mid budget flick? R rated at that. 

If so, You have to give props to Jennifer Lawrence because she probably deserves that $25 mil paycheck. 

Eh, it will probably max out at 2x its budget (circa 90 million). I wouldn’t call it a success, but it made enough that it’ll break even with VOD (especially given Sony’s deal with Netflix). They were probably hoping it would break out more, but it’s not a disappointment either.

Whatever, I don’t believe Elemental is being seen as top tier Pixar by the GA, simply “it’s good.” And I think that OW small as freakin 1995 Toy Story back when no one even knew what Pixar was is a huge factor in it having such a high multi. We have seen how crazy multis can get when OWs are low and audiences genuinely love it. Way crazier than 5x. Pretty over the argument tbh. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Whatever, I don’t believe Elemental is being seen as top tier Pixar by the GA, simply “it’s good.” And I think that OW small as freakin 1995 Toy Story back when no one even knew what Pixar was is a huge factor in it having such a high multi. We have seen how crazy multis can get when OWs are low and audiences genuinely love it. Way crazier than 5x. Pretty over the argument tbh. 

There is still a big difference between the holiday season and summer when it comes to leg potential. I think you have to at least acknowledge that.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Honestly no, I don’t think it’ll double its budget. 

32 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

99% verified audience score on RT after 1000+. Strange to see a movie projected to make $20m achieve 1000+ votes this fast. 

Given the audience and the general idea of the movie it makes sense lol

6 hours ago, YM! said:

I think IO2 has a lower ceiling than those 3. Personally expecting within the range of Monsters University. Think that a sequel not on par with the first can’t coast on nostalgia to help it. Will still do well enough though.

My only concern right now for Elio is release date. Beyond is moving sure but I don’t care about legacy or losing the spot, move it up a week or have KFP4 move back a week. Give it some breathing room.

I think Elio has the problem of being an animated movie that takes place in the espace. And we have seen that all of them have failed: treasure planet, mars need moms, lightyear and strange world

Edited by Mau

6 minutes ago, Mau said:

I think Elio has the problem of being an animated movie that takes place in the espace. And we have seen that all of them have failed: treasure planet, mom need mars, lightyear and strange world

Yeah it's a big hurdle, though I would argue Treasure Planet's failure had a variety of other factors going against it (particularly that bad release date, yikes).

28 minutes ago, Mau said:

I think Elio has the problem of being an animated movie that takes place in the espace. And we have seen that all of them have failed: treasure planet, mom need mars, lightyear and strange world

Pixar have made it work once with WALL-E, but I agree it’s a hurdle. Even animated sci-fi like Iron Giant or Atlantis proved a tough sell to GA.

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It will be the biggest pixar movie in SK with a multi of around 12x it's 5-day opening weekend. So atleast in SK it will be seen as top tier Pixar by the GA. In counrties like Argentina it is also looking at a 10x multi of the 4-day OW. It is a movie that is atleast clicking with the GA in some countries. Big legs everywhere but it also had a very small OW in a lot of countries, and in that case I agree that insane multies are needed to say it's seen as top tier pixar.

• Like 5