baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

57 minutes ago, setna said:

Hola setna!

Croatia, but can say Worldwide , went everywhere thanks to the job :)

Gracias for all you wrote, nice to know about statue!, Been for a short while on IMBD forums (whilst was still active), but nobody reacted to similar post, but guess what 1st I found out there was a Crossover between Mazinger and Transformer Universe in 2019, a looks like a short while ago there is a Grendizer PS4 and PS5 game released! (Got no idea how popular PS these days is?) Trying to post at least a photo of Grendizer here, can't make it.Perhaps you can help, absolutely mind boggling!

57 minutes ago, setna said:

Where are you from?

In Spain, Mazinger Z was the biggest phenomenon of the 70´s and begining of the 80´s.  If a move were made in that time for sure had broken box office records, because every children the crazy was totally mad with the series. 
Here in Spain, there is also a 25 m. tall statue from Mazinger. 

i don´t know if in any corner of the world, there is something like this for a cartoon character, it´s difficult to explain how popular this tv series was here. 
All this generation still remember and loves it, a truly massive cultural phenomenon.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I largely agree with everything you said here, but with how strong the pace for barbie has been, wouldn't be shocked if it overtook that 17M line with strong reactions and reviews, though it's possible that sharing too many screens with oppenheimer/MI7 and lack of PLF ends up biting it in the end..

ASTV set a pretty high pace bar that Barbie would have to exceed just to get to $17M (needed more to compensate for no IMAX), and do I think, between sharing with Oppy and the rest of the films in release, at some point seats just run out and sales start overflowing over into the weekend and beyond. Just depends on how wide Barbie's business spreads: the more concentrated demand is in bigger markets, the more of seat crunch its going to face (again, similar to ATSV)

Just to give some perspective on overall volume, that weekend could be only the third FSS since NWH to top $200M, in range of Thor's OW (~$209M) and Mario/Easter (~$205M), with Saturday (and/or True Fri!) likely the 11th time post-pandemic to break $70M for a single day, with only NWH's Opening Sat topping $80M (all totals excluding previews).

Edited by M37
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Don't like condescendence :capmad

You could very well be factually correct about this, but did you need to be passive-aggressive about someone daring to say Barbie has hot pre-sales? It's like a point you have to go out of your way to prove that it's not having Marvel movie pre-sales or something?

I was not being passive aggressive about someone saying Barbie presales were hot (they are! It’s doing great! Super great!) I was just setting the factual record straight. EC didn’t even say that Presales were beating every movie since WF — because of course, he knows they aren’t — he was predicting that it would open bigger than very movie since WF (which seems a little overheated to me, but outside chance). The false claim being spread was someone misreading his Twitter so I was trying to nip that in the bud.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Mulder said:

There's like no world where Disney'd sell Pixar. Even if they were having issues, they'd just be dissolved and absorbed into Disney animation. 

I dunno if that would even happen.

Just now, LegionGPT said:

330+180? It within targeting range I guess but I’m not quite there

Come on now, you know Barbie is making at least $343M 😉, but I'm lower on Oppy, so same general range combined. Probably more likely than not that we get at least $500M combined, but going to need very good legs from both to put $550M+ in range

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Just thinking out loud: 

Barbenheimer O/U Mario domestic? (~$575M)

Id say yes. I believe Oppenheimer will be more accessible than Dunkirk, so i predict roughly 200M DOM for it. Barbie i believe could reach 400M, if WOM is great, which im counting on.

• Like 2

Barbie legs will be very interesting. For now I think Rise of Gru is a solid comp  (added ~ 2.72x true FSS) which would take say 20->105 to 337. Certainly possible it opens higher if things keep chugging.

23 minutes ago, LegionGPT said:

I was not being passive aggressive about someone saying Barbie presales were hot (they are! It’s doing great! Super great!) I was just setting the factual record straight.

5 hours ago, LegionGPT said:

Out here in reality

This is where you were being passive aggressive. “Out here in reality” is you mocking others for saying Barbie is selling more than Avatar 2. And yeah, maybe they are wrong, but using that phrase is a direct insult and holier than thou condescension  whether you realize that or not. “In reality, where smarty pants like me live and dumb dumbs like Barbie stans are, Barbie is way behind those other movies”. That is insulting and disrespectful and totally uncalled for.

If you said something like “that’s not very accurate. Barbie is a fair bit behind Avatar and significantly behind recent Marvle movies”, you would have been fine. But you just had to act like a pompous jerk for zero reason. That’s not cool and we’re not letting that slide. You’re an adult, so it’s expected for you to behave like one.

So next time, please at least try to be mindful of your delivery and ask yourself, “will this be taken the wrong way?”. It only takes a few seconds.

• Like 4
  • Heart 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 4

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Hey if Disney still want to sell Pixar I'm sure WB will pick them up for the prospect of getting the rights to a live action Toy Story/Barbie crossover

WB already not able to handle DC division with so many flops. How will they manage at this point Disney can buy WB and make the crossover instead xD

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Bunny said:

This is where you were being passive aggressive. “Out here in reality” is you mocking others for saying Barbie is selling more than Avatar 2. And yeah, maybe they are wrong, but using that phrase is a direct insult and holier than thou condescension  whether you realize that or not. “In reality, where smarty pants like me live and dumb dumbs like Barbie stans are, Barbie is way behind those other movies”. That is insulting and disrespectful and totally uncalled for.

If you said something like “that’s not very accurate. Barbie is a fair bit behind Avatar and significantly behind recent Marvle movies”, you would have been fine. But you just had to act like a pompous jerk for zero reason. That’s not cool and we’re not letting that slide. You’re an adult, so it’s expected for you to behave like one.

So next time, please at least try to be mindful of your delivery and ask yourself, “will this be taken the wrong way?”. It only takes a few seconds.

If someone says “2+2 is 5” and I go “out here in reality, 2+2 is 4” is that an attack? Is that trolling? Am I being passive aggressive towards other members (if anything it would be passive aggressive against EC, though in this case it was people misinterpreting what he said not him saying something false). I don’t think so. It just is what it is, and I’m trying to help the board by letting people reading the thread know. I feel like you latch on to minor uses of wording by me that you wouldn’t (and shouldn’t!) warn other people for. 

Edited by LegionGPT
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, M37 said:

Just thinking out loud: 

Barbenheimer O/U Mario domestic? (~$575M)

I think that should be doable for the two. I’ve currently got Oppenheimer doing Ted numbers (55/220) and Barbie somewhere in the 130/400 range. Obviously Oppenheimer will be a little more frontloaded on the opening weekend than Ted but I see it holding similarly well weekend by weekend due to IMAX stability and less significant competition. Ted’s only “bad” drop was weekend 4 when TDKR opened, for obvious reasons. 

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

though it's possible that sharing too many screens with oppenheimer/MI7 and lack of PLF ends up biting it in the end.

This would be my concern as well. 

that said, it’s been a very long time since the tracking thread has been wildly wrong about something. So hopefully this is not one of those times.