XXRDJisDoctorDoom

Sound of Freedom || Discussion of The Movie And Its Producers Should be HERE and HERE ONLY || The Report Button Is Your Friend || Keep It Civil

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I no longer work at a movie theater, but given my public persona, I hear stories from movie theater employees everywhere, and can connect them to my own experiences. 

Back in 2019 during the release of Unplanned, I was a newly-promoted Assistant Manager. We actually had to implement a rule that if anyone came in in-person or called over the phone to ask about Unplanned, the regular staff members were not allowed to engage in discussion, and had to immediately direct the guests to a manager (this was not fun for me). The reason was there had been multiple instances at multiple theaters that had NOT been one of the locations booked for Unplanned where the underage staff were getting doxxed and receiving death threats (both in person, on the phone, on social media) from supporters of the movie who were upset that the movie was not playing at their location.

I live in Canada, which has a very different political and frankly social climate than the US. A movie like Unplanned simply does not have the same appeal here than it does in the States. Yes, the movie will still do well in certain markets for sure, but in terms of widespread appeal, heck no. It would be like if Disney made an Oscar-worthy Terry Fox biopic... it would be massive in Canada, but would play to empty theaters in the States other than a few NY/LA markets. So in Canada, Unplanned was only booked for (I believe) 48 locations across the country; that was what the DISTRIBUTOR decided, not the individual theaters. And everyone else dealt with weeks and months of abuse from the film's supporters.

Now, am I saying that every one of the supporters were hurling abuse at underage staff? Heck no! But it was happening frequently enough, and at enough different locations, that theaters realized it was a problem. And from people I know who are still working at the various theaters I have been at, similar measures are being put in place due to the abuse their staff are facing. 

Again, do I think that everyone who sees this movie is like the people I described above? Of course not! Many people on these boards have seen and enjoyed this movie whom I have great relationships on here with. When a movie is making 100M+, it means it must have attracted a good amount of well-intentioned viewers. But it's the small, loud minority that's a problem, and when that loud minority thinks that their grievances are supported because of the beliefs of the film's star, that's when it gets difficult for movie theaters to manage, as they must ensure the safety of their staff.

One last addition; one of the things I've seen on the internet are people coming out of this movie saying "the AC was broken, they're trying to stop us from seeing the movie!" I was an employee at a movie theater for 7 years, and was a manager for 3 of them. Those AC machines break down every other week, especially in the summer. It has nothing to do with what movie is playing :lol: 

Many films that are very popular with american conservative audiences dont do as well in canada.

American Sniper and The Passion of the Christ are others.

They still made a ton of money but ratio was like 5% or less vs avg of 7-10%. 

54 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I no longer work at a movie theater, but given my public persona, I hear stories from movie theater employees everywhere, and can connect them to my own experiences. 

Back in 2019 during the release of Unplanned, I was a newly-promoted Assistant Manager. We actually had to implement a rule that if anyone came in in-person or called over the phone to ask about Unplanned, the regular staff members were not allowed to engage in discussion, and had to immediately direct the guests to a manager (this was not fun for me). The reason was there had been multiple instances at multiple theaters that had NOT been one of the locations booked for Unplanned where the underage staff were getting doxxed and receiving death threats (both in person, on the phone, on social media) from supporters of the movie who were upset that the movie was not playing at their location.

I live in Canada, which has a very different political and frankly social climate than the US. A movie like Unplanned simply does not have the same appeal here than it does in the States. Yes, the movie will still do well in certain markets for sure, but in terms of widespread appeal, heck no. It would be like if Disney made an Oscar-worthy Terry Fox biopic... it would be massive in Canada, but would play to empty theaters in the States other than a few NY/LA markets. So in Canada, Unplanned was only booked for (I believe) 48 locations across the country; that was what the DISTRIBUTOR decided, not the individual theaters. And everyone else dealt with weeks and months of abuse from the film's supporters.

Now, am I saying that every one of the supporters were hurling abuse at underage staff? Heck no! But it was happening frequently enough, and at enough different locations, that theaters realized it was a problem. And from people I know who are still working at the various theaters I have been at, similar measures are being put in place due to the abuse their staff are facing. 

Again, do I think that everyone who sees this movie is like the people I described above? Of course not! Many people on these boards have seen and enjoyed this movie whom I have great relationships on here with. When a movie is making 100M+, it means it must have attracted a good amount of well-intentioned viewers. But it's the small, loud minority that's a problem, and when that loud minority thinks that their grievances are supported because of the beliefs of the film's star, that's when it gets difficult for movie theaters to manage, as they must ensure the safety of their staff.

One last addition; one of the things I've seen on the internet are people coming out of this movie saying "the AC was broken, they're trying to stop us from seeing the movie!" I was an employee at a movie theater for 7 years, and was a manager for 3 of them. Those AC machines break down every other week, especially in the summer. It has nothing to do with what movie is playing :lol: 

To get death treats from people who are supposedly "Pro-life" is pretty bad. this is way I hate extreme far right and yes far left politics. it's destroying the country.    

• Like 2

I went to see Mission Impossible last night and the theater was almost empty. but the parking lot was almost completely full. I wonder what they were seeing? 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised I live in a southern baptist deep red town. I went to see "His Only Son" a few months ago (which was just ok for a biblical adaptation imo). and the theater was packed and I had to stand there blind for a few minutes to let my eyes adjust so I wouldn't sit on anyone, good thing I was by myself cause I literally found one empty seat. 

Still sad more people aren't seeing MI7 though cause it's amazing. 

Edited by Kalo

4 hours ago, Human said:

I was in 5th grade, and my teacher kept talking about The Passion assuming all of us saw it, and the entire elementary school was shown clips from it.  That is how huge The Passion was.  Now I am 27 years old who has stayed in Church the whole time and Christianity is a big part of my identity.  I still have not seen it.

I was 10 when Passion first release, but my church organized a special event and invite all the parents and kids to see the movie. Yes, they thought a family watching a R-rated movie is a good idea. Some of the my friends were crying in some of the scene but they still convinced that is because we kids were moved by the movie. That was my memory on the Passion sweep, it almost became an obligation to see the movie for a Christian.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Human said:

shocking as Canada is known for being insanely Conservative, especially in Ontario and Quebec.  

I'm not going to get into the minutiae of Canadian politics but Quebec is definitely a liberal province and we have a conservative premier in Ontario but it's also very liberal as well.

6 minutes ago, MrHardapple said:

the-numbers.com predicts a $9.5 million weekend for SoF.

What stuff are theses guys smoking?!

Maybe they meant just for Friday LOL I'm not saying it's going to increase 100% today but it is adding a few more theaters and the word of mouth is spreading. Wouldn't be surprised if it jumped up to something like 6.5 or maybe even 7

19 minutes ago, MrHardapple said:

the-numbers.com predicts a $9.5 million weekend for SoF.

What stuff are theses guys smoking?!

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe they meant just for Friday LOL I'm not saying it's going to increase 100% today but it is adding a few more theaters and the word of mouth is spreading. Wouldn't be surprised if it jumped up to something like 6.5 or maybe even 7

Don't take the The-Numbers predictions seriously. They use some terrible algorithm that is wildly inaccurate on many films.

Should be 17 at least. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, XXR Union Solidarity said:

Don't take the The-Numbers predictions seriously. They use some terrible algorithm that is wildly inaccurate on many films.

Should be 17 at least. 

In my opinion the absolute floor is 20 million

My thoughts I sent Cap last week. Sharing them here:

”It’s a push to make mainstream-like media content that gateways people to dangerous conspiratorial thinking.

Where the BO gross is coming from is also inflated by the core base buying a bunch of unused tickets in order to get “#1 at the BO, toppling Indiana Jones!” As headlines to drive more mainstream interest

It’s using the summer tentpole / action movie as a push for a louder cultural footprint.”

Some broad thoughts I’d like to add onto that:

- This movie fits alongside an evangelical trend to push out more “mainstream appearing” content in order to gain a larger cultural microphone. It’s in line with The Chosen, the Museum of the Bible (on the National Mall), and the “He Gets Us” advertising campaigns. None of these things are as blatantly ideological as some past evangelical content like “Unplanned” or “God’s Not Dead” or “The Creation Museum”, but they’re funded by the same people. That’s important. This material is meant to ease audiences, who wouldn’t be receptive to the more ideological extreme positions of past content, into potentially accepting a more toned down version with a much higher production value than some past pop cultural pushes.

- Is the movie itself extreme in ideology? Probably not, from what I know (I refuse to support it financially so will only see it if it’s available for free). But the director is, and the director opens the door by breaking the third wall at the end of the credits. He uses the movie as pathos to make the audience sympathetic to what he has to say, and then encourages them to listen to him outside of the theater (which will be more ideologically extreme and conspiratorial) and/or support his movie’s Astroturfing campaign

- This type of content is dangerous because it presents itself as moderate and high quality content. However, the makers and supporters behind it are often extremists looking to regain and reclaim a stronger cultural relevance for the evangelical ideology that they perceive as waning in power.

Buying up theaters worth of unused tickets to gain positive box office press gives power to and presents Angel Studios and their filmmakers as alternative mainstream content worth taking seriously. I personally find it worrisome that the astroturfing campaign is working and giving the extremist director a platform he wouldn’t otherwise have.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, rebelscum86 said:

Views =/= crimes. this is your problem and post like yours.

I still listen to old Kanye West music.  But if Kanye put out a new song with some sketchy lyrics he was connecting to support for Hitler and antisemitism I would not listen to that music and I would give side eye to anyone who is consuming said music.

That is exactly the same thing as Sound of Freedom where Ballard and Caviezel have used this movie as a platform, that on the surface seems like maybe it’s kind of weird but also anodyne, to connect the movie to their extremist views. 

Edited by crazydom

One additional thought: astroturfing campaigns is terrible for theaters.

If most of the audience are no shows, they’re losing concession money and end up keeping a movie they otherwise might not have a lot longer.

SoF’s “put it forward” marketing strategy is terrible for theaters and if you are a supporter of theaters you shouldn’t be cheering this shit on.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

One additional thought: astroturfing campaigns is terrible for theaters.

If most of the audience are no shows, they’re losing concession money and end up keeping a movie they otherwise might not have a lot longer.

SoF’s “put it forward” marketing strategy is terrible for theaters and if you are a supporter of theaters you shouldn’t be cheering this shit on.

Charlie says its represents like 7-8% of the gross

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

20 minutes ago, The Panda said:

7% on which day? I’d imagine no shows are more likely on the weekdays where it’s been having particularly strong holds

the % of gross coming from free tickets 

edit: https://www.angel.com/blog/sound-of-freedom/posts/how-to-redeem-free-tickets-to-sound-of-freedom

I also think "no goes" aren't a thing, if you want a free ticket you need to buy a ticket the normal way but using a promo code which makes it so that the cost is 0.00

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

11 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the % of gross coming from free tickets 

edit: https://www.angel.com/blog/sound-of-freedom/posts/how-to-redeem-free-tickets-to-sound-of-freedom

I also think "no goes" aren't a thing, if you want a free ticket you need to buy a ticket the normal way but using a promo code which makes it so that the cost is 0.00

yes but my impression was tickets are already “bought” from the donations at the end of the film. Whether they’re redeemed or not they’re still bought?

A redeemed ticket of course wouldn’t be a no show. That would imply 7% is people who redeemed and showed?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Panda said:

yes but my impression was tickets are already “bought” from the donations at the end of the film. Whether they’re redeemed or not they’re still bought?

A redeemed ticket of course wouldn’t be a no show. That would imply 7% is people who redeemed and showed?

nah

the fine print says the "pay it forward" money goes directly to angel studios, who has the right to keep the money if no one asks for "free" tickets or use it for promotion 

a person who goes to the website looking for free tickets gets a promo code, with which they are able to buy a ticket that costs 0.00 dollars, the studio then, with the "pay it forward" money they have collected, foots the bill