baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I think the Sound of Freedom audience are people who haven’t been to the cinema in years? or only for religious films? 

Scream & Sonic spring to mind. 

Some of the MI7 expected audience (and probably Oppenheimer and even Indy, too) are those 45+ Caucasians that come out infrequently at best...they've all found their movie to see, and that will hurt all 3 movies...

We all wondered if the 3 movies would cannibalize each other for this audience, and now it may be the unknown movie cannibalizes all 3...

As someone mentioned, folks want something fresh, and SoF is an original movie...maybe not the "freshest" or most creative, but no one has done the "true" story of that agent before...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

People want something fresh in general, and also people are tired of the same old from their fav actors. You can't just do action/MI movies and expect your fans to follow.

Yeah, let's just consoome toy commercials instead, it's so fresh, isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, TomThomas said:

Yeah, let's just consoome toy commercials instead, it's so fresh, isn't it?

Barbie is fresher than a 7th movie in a franchise. If they make seven Barbie movies i'll call them out too

MI7 seems like it will have a slightly better version of what Fast X faced 

Decent numbers hurted by inflated budget 

At least cruise can be a bit happier that he spent 290M instead of 340M and his movie will gross closer to 800M than 700M 

But overall, same vibe here. At least Part 2 should increase and be cheaper since COVID protocols ended.

As I said when the M:I trailer dropped, it felt like TG:M was the peak of this phase in Cruise's career. TG:M was the best of times, but also the worst of times because people are now been there/done that with the "oh he's in his 60s but still doing his own stunts, no CG!" thing. Now it's shrug-inducing. 

I don't really see how these preview numbers are anything but kind of normal. Assuming mission Impossible is going to have good word of mouth and it does somewhere around 90 million for the 5-day, it's going to end up making anywhere between 180 and 200 and that's pretty much par the course for the last couple of films. It's the international box office that is the question mark. I don't really have any passion or prejudice towards the mission impossible movies. I enjoy them but I basically forget about them after I see them. I will be seeing this one as I'm sure it'll be a good time at the movies. I'm not sure if people here were expecting it to do something like 300 million but if it does 180 that'll be a bit of a disappointment if it does 200 that'll be pretty much right where expectations were for it or should have been for it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm not celebrating these bad numbers, but i can't say i'm sad about it. I just want this tiring action period of TC's career to end.

Welp... There's at least gonna be a Part Two for DR. Then, honestly, probably another one after that. This "tiring" part of his career is the only thing he's interested in and I don't see that ending even if DR somewhat underperforms. Far too earlier to call anything either way.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, so is it $7M or is it $9.5M through Tuesday???  That's a HUGE difference...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Agreed. And announcing the Part two when you don't know how Part one makes reminds me how they announced the Dark Universe before the Mummy even opened. They are a little cocky and deserve a slap

They did the same thing with Spider-Verse and Fast X this same summer. I don't see it as a huge deal especially for a series that was seeing growth rather than depreciation at the box office.

$1M+ CLUB: TUESDAY 1. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ($7M) 2. SOUND OF FREEDOM ($4M) 3. INSIDIOUS ($3.4M) 3. INDY ($3.4M) 5. ELEMENTAL ($2M) 6. SPIDER-MAN ($1.5M)

Edited by JimmyB