CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

1 minute ago, PrinceRico said:

Ouch. The Flash and Indy all over again 

Not that level but clear there is a hard ceiling on these type of movies. Skyfall the only exception due to perfect storm of factors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I really like the first act of this movie, i found it very grounded with good dramatic beats and very charismatic duo. But once the spectacle begins i found it shallow, that fully CGI climax was ugly and lack energy, it just bored me.

Even the worst Bayformers have a very strong sense of auterism that pleases me more, i can see humanity in the chaos. And personally i think Transformers 3 is actually a very good example of maximalist cinema, this one i really find it good, best of the whole franchise. 

But i can see why people are liking this one more, is less chaotic, loud and messy.

Transformers 3 issue is that its super serious and violent and then goes batshit wild silly and its just ruins the pace.

Add in that the movie goes into an epic fight for 1hr then has the climatic battle over in 2 mins lol 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think this is more of a signal that there was a bigger potential audience for it, but got lost in a crowded March, and the reviews probably have dissuaded people from putting in the time and money to see it in theaters 

The “wait for streaming effect” (and we were part of that home audience, just watched it last night)

I mean it is becoming clearer every single week that unless movies capture the zeitgeist then we ain't getting back to before 2020 even if things stay kind of okay and fine, but if you point out this increasingly obvious fact you get 10 accounts yelling that you are doom and gloom and doing dramatic posts about how silly BOT is.

• Like 10
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Torontofan said:

Transformers 3 issue is that its super serious and violent and then goes batshit wild silly and its just ruins the pace.

thats the best thing about the bayformers though 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I mean it is becoming clearer every single week that unless movies capture the zeitgeist then we ain't getting back to before 2020 even if things stay kind of okay and fine, but if you point out this increasingly obvious fact you get 10 accounts yelling that you are doom and gloom and doing dramatic posts about how silly BOT is.

This year is showing that it seems. I’d argue 2022 looked like things could get back to normal eventually, but this is 2 steps back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This sucks.  This whole summer has sucked.  The movies themselves,  some of them have been good but it doesn't seem to matter.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.  Travel is apparently down this Summer.  Disney parks attendance is way down.  People just aren't spending money on entertainment. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Barbenheimer killed mi7; the hype for those movies and the tracking constantly rising means that opening this a week before made it overshadowed at the time by a bigger event (see also Shazam/Endgame; Mockingjay P2 and Spectre/Force Awakens)

• Like 1

if the shit taste of to 20-to-30-year-olds ends up costing dead reckoning part 2 even a quarter of a set piece, I will never forgive them 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

I think this is more of a signal that there was a bigger potential audience for it, but got lost in a crowded March, and the reviews probably have dissuaded people from putting in the time and money to see it in theaters 

The “wait for streaming effect” (and we were part of that home audience, just watched it last night)

I just watched it too.  It gets points for two things most movies aren’t these days.  Original and short.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

This sucks.  This whole summer has sucked.  The movies themselves,  some of them have been good but it doesn't seem to matter.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.  Travel is apparently down this Summer.  Disney parks attendance is way down.  People just aren't spending money on entertainment. 

Two decades worth of inflation in the span of 3 years will do that to ya… 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Barbenheimer killed mi7; the hype for those movies and the tracking constantly rising means that opening this a week before made it overshadowed at the time by a bigger event (see also Shazam/Endgame; Mockingjay P2 and Spectre/Force Awakens)

Nobody I know in my age group likes the Mission Impossible movies that doesn't also post on these boards (I am 29). I also didn't know one person my age who saw NTTD. The worst thing you could do these days for a movie is rely mostly on old white people. I do think plenty of movies that appeal outside that specific demographic, from horror to many blockbusters, can still do fine and look like 2019 numbers. But old white people and highly educated young professionals (the ones who can afford streames) that lean female are not coming back. I'm not commenting on it positively or negatively. But those are the two demogaphics that have been so foundational to the movies from what gets greenlit to what suceeds for so many decades that it is going to be years of adjustment.

• Like 2