CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

7 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Hopefully this is an okay discussion for this thread, but I'm glad to see another rock-solid hold for Transformers. It's another dent in the argument that people try to say putting a movie on PVOD "too early" kills its box office. Movie launched digitally (for purchase) on Tuesday. 

Obviously it's about balance. You don't want to do it after like 3 days. But I have a feeling it will play out nicely for Paramount here. 

New question is if TF can make a run to $160m. I feel dumb for saying it might not make it to $100m.

It's going to cut it close, I think it can just barely make it though. It will be a bigger question if it can Bumblebee's WW haul though ($462M WW), that might be a wash unfournately.

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Exactly. I wouldn't call SMB the bastion of originality, it just took the lore from the games and repackaged it in movie form. Yeah, its story was original, but that's because it was taking a page from every. single. Mario. game. ever.

SMB is the exact opposite of originality, it's the same as all other IP flicks.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to know just how much naming can impact these things. I don’t think it’s just coincidental that terribly named products often don’t meet expectations. For example, the Wii U’s name is often cited as one of the biggest reasons for its epic failure for Nintendo… 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I genuinely think everyone is overlooking the power of Marketing. But, these days, to pull off great marketing you need brand deals, influencers, late night talk show appearances, online talk show appearances, ads on Twitter, TikTok, Facebook, YouTube, Hulu, other ad-supported streaming services. There are so many separate places people have their focus on as opposed to 20 years ago, or even 10. 

Whoever was in charge of marketing Barbie somehow cracked the code.

Marketing will do jack shit if there's no initial interest in most cases.

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Nothing good, that's for sure.

Indeed. It will be like how Marvel misread the success of Guardians of the Galaxy 1. Oh, people like jokes, let's make every superhero movie a comedy. Or how WB misread NWH: "oh great NWH did great because it had 3 spidermans, let's make a movie with 4 batmans, and 4 supermans and for sure we will have a 5B movie :D". (In case you are wondering: 1.9B/3 = 633M per Spiderman, thus, 633M*8 superheroes = 5B). 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

SMB is the exact opposite of originality, it's the same as all other IP flicks.

Seriously, I don’t even understand how this needs to be said. Greta can win Oscars for Barbie, but that’s still very much based on a brand that has an insane built in audience that is bigger than Batman or Spider-Man in terms of reach with women worldwide. Very few brands can say that about themselves, it’s rarified air. 

And no, this doesn’t mean that Mattel will be able to create their Mattel Cinematic Universe. This means that people love films about characters they love. Either from a videogame, comic or a doll.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

Here in East Texas there is definitely a deflation of MI7 by SOF... my usual circle of people is over the age of 50 and I have had several that talked about MI7 that have instead seen SOF - and I had clients this week asking if I had seen it. So echoing Deadline's reporting - it is making a dent in the flyover portion. City theaters may not be full, but apparently the one playing it near me in the rural zones has been near legit selling out in the evenings. 🥴

It's just funny to me since most people in my world are ones the average board poster would say is crazy conservative and there is a definitive split in the age demos and whether or not SOF is being positively talked about. The under 50 set is not in favor and the over 50s are acting like the film is the 2nd coming of Christ.

***All that said*** 7.5m for Friday is nuts - it reminds me of Greatest Showman as far as film just popping off out of nowhere with legs and wom.

Overall the weekend seems to be solid - even with MI7's apparent miss.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m already seeing a revisionist history narrative happening with some around Barbie on how it was “always one of the biggest and most reliable IPs for a movie” that is downright hysterical considering the way I was dogpiled on for saying Barbie would win summer DOM as far back as early this year. There were plenty literally in the “lucky to make 100 total, get a grip” camp until not even that long ago lol  

My overall point being, no Barbie was not a sure thing at all, as evidenced by the fact that the vast majority barely had it a as a blip on their box office radar until trackings 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Is it confirmed that Friday's totals for MI:7 include the Early Access shows? If so does that mean true friday is closer to $14M?

$78M is going to require a pretty big Saturday jump to get there.

More likely ~$14.5M and like ~$2M leftover from the EA shows (they already used part of it to round up Tue previews to $7M)

• Like 1

Also, Barbie has not been very relevant as a product since maybeee the 00s, probably the 90s. Hence why I think so many thought the movie wouldn’t do anything. Even I would have never predicted it if I wasn’t paying such close attention to what was happening on social media from that very first promo image of Margot in the car released. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m already seeing a revisionist history narrative happening with some around Barbie on how it was “always one of the biggest and most reliable IPs for a movie” that is downright hysterical considering the way I was dogpiled on for saying Barbie would win summer DOM as far back as early this year. There were plenty literally in the “lucky to make 100 total, get a grip” camp until not even that long ago lol  

My overall point being, no Barbie was not a sure thing at all, as evidenced by the fact that the vast majority barely had it a as a blip on their box office radar until trackings 

I give you credit for being one of the ones out in front on the Barbie train. I certainly didn't expect it to do what it's doing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I should have made an impromptu club!  Not that it's in anyway locked yet, but until it starts behaving "normally" I'm just going to assume something insane is coming.

Number went up again. Now official estimate is 7.5 😦

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m already seeing a revisionist history narrative happening around Barbie on how it was “always one of the biggest and most reliable IPs for a movie” that is downright hysterical considering the way I was dogpiled on for saying Barbie would win summer DOM as far back as early this year. There were plenty literally in the “lucky to make 100 total, get a grip” camp until not even that long ago lol  

…this is BOT. BOT also says shit that doesn’t make sense like "superhero fatigue", but bend over backwards to justify a $295m budget isn’t underperforming really when it opens under $100m 5-days opening while trashing another film with the literal same budget where every single page has someone saying the other film is doomed. Stuff here often don’t make sense neither is real. 

I barely posted during covid but remember saying that I thought that Super Mario Bros could break out last year. Do I get a cookie too?

When I first heard about Barbie I thought it was the dumbest idea for a movie I heard in a long time. You can chalk me up as one of the people who initially thought this is going to tank and tank very badly. Now every time I read something on Twitter about it, the opening weekend keeps getting higher and higher based on presales and people's predictions. It's very baffling to me but I'm looking forward to the ride for sure. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

…this is BOT. BOT also says shit that doesn’t make sense like "superhero fatigue", but bend over backwards to justify a $295m budget isn’t underperforming really when it opens under $100m 5-days opening while trashing another film with the literal same budget where every single page has someone saying the other film is doomed. Stuff here often don’t make sense neither is real. 

I barely posted during covid but remember saying that I thought that Super Mario Bros could break out last year. Do I get a cookie too?

Sure, but it wasn’t just here. No one in the industry really seemed to be supporting the prediction of Barbie being massive either until maybe a month or two ago. It was people irl I know and the kind that don’t typically care about moviegoing that I saw the hype with. Hardly anyone as far as industry analysts or pundits seemed on board. 

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean Dead Reckoning will at least double it’s budget, I doubt Indy goes over 400m WW

I’ll admit I was not expecting this much for Barbie in terms of opening weekend. This is a nice surprise though after such an awful summer, GG to WB for how they did with it.

Off topic but I’m rewatching Days Of Future Past and god this movie is way more boring than I remember it being. How tf did Bryan Singer trick Hollywood into thinking he was an interesting director worth giving such huge projects?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

The other big factor with my Barbie predictions was centered around Gosling. The man simply doesn’t do these kind of films, he has seemed downright IP tentpole averse in fact. The fact that he was on board told me the script must be very intriguing. And of course, Gerwig involvement was also the same in that sense as Gosling really. Signs were there.