upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

2 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Even more impressive. They maintained and build interest for 20+ films, when others cant even do for 7-8.

Potter had lost 30-35% admits from first part till last. Avatar is 30% down in 2nd part itself, could be down to less than half by the time 5th come.

Infinity Saga was a remarkable achievement.

2nd biggest cinematic achievement.

My rough sketch for Opp has it go down to 9 on Thursday, and make it over 300 total.

But I think there's a real chance that the heavy must-see-on-a-big-screen draw wears off after a few weeks and the legs soften considerably, and it comes down to that 250-275 range. 

Edited by MattW
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Speaking as a Canadian, Cineplex is genuinely an awful awful company. Scummy business practices, and they are literally in the middle of a lawsuit with the competition bureau over “secret additional fees” they aren’t advertising, or drip pricing.

Canadians deserve better than their BS. I wish I could go into more.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What’s the 1st?

If you adjust the grosses for inflation, Star Wars has had a 500 DOM grosser every single decade from the 1970s until the 2010s. They still have 7 years to do it this decade.

250 DOM if you don't adjust.

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Speaking as a Canadian, Cineplex is genuinely an awful awful company. Scummy business practices, and they are literally in the middle of a lawsuit with the competition bureau over “secret additional fees” they aren’t advertising, or drip pricing.

They have a rather massive presence here in Brazil too lol. I mostly go to Cinemark movie theaters though.

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Fun fact: Cineplex also makes a lot of those TV menu boards they have in fast food restaurants for some reason. I used to work in A&W and was there when my boss replaced the old paper ones with the new flat screens and for some inexplicable reason they would also default to displaying cineplex menus whenever they got screwed up by updates and stuff

Also yes cineplex often sucks but luckily I have a landmark near me as well and they give free popcorn refills

• Like 2

Oh also I just saw the trailer for haunting in Venice in the theater and I could've sworn the last Hercule Poirot just came out like a few months ago lol. I guess time flies but I hadn't even heard they were working on another one already so I was genuinely shocked to see that

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Rey who? 

The protagonist of New Star Wars trilogy? 

Why are the continuing that if the saga is over.

from what i've heard they are going to redo that 5seconds of origins we got for Kylo Ren but the time they are being taught by Rey instead of Luke. 

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Rey who? 

The protagonist of New Star Wars trilogy? 

Why are the continuing that if the saga is over.

I bet we all will witness kids growing up as massive Rey fans, regardless how the og crowd feels about the ST films, they were all quite popular. I am kinda glad that we live in an world that kids have Rey, just like I had Luke growing up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I bet we all will witness kids growing up as massive Rey fans, regardless how the og crowd feels about the ST films, they were all quite popular. I am kinda glad that we live in an world that kids have Rey, just like I had Luke growing up.

But like Original trilogy was iconic and nostalgia had fueled the sequel trilogy, especially force awakens.

This trilogy is hardly iconic and you run a chance of being monotonous to the point people stop caring anymore.

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

But like Original trilogy was iconic and nostalgia had fueled the sequel trilogy, especially force awakens.

This trilogy is hardly iconic and you run a chance of being monotonous to the point people stop caring anymore.

The old gen is spoiled and thinks to know what is best to the franchise. These are kids movies. They were made and envisioned for kids. Unlike stuff like Batman and previous than the MCU Marvel films, they aren’t about reboots. They tell a fairy tale made for kids, and we loved them and they were iconic because they hit us at the right age, it kinda doesn’t matter if you were around back then or not as long as you were introduced at the right age.

I think old gen Star Wars fans are trying to find a high that it’s impossible to replicate because that’s what they felt when they were kids. The sequel trilogy won’t make you feel like a kid again, it won’t be what you idealized or hoped it would be. If you stop caring, that’s fine. If everyone stops caring, that’s fine too. But why it bothers so much to the og Star Wars fans when people bring up that ‘hey, the new trilogy has fans’? If you outgrew Star Wars, Marvel, DC and etc, that’s absolutely fine. It’s normal. Not all the Star Wars fans of the 1977 film were satisfied with the Return of the Jedi either, let alone the prequel trilogy. My point is that all comes down to the wise words of this old man here:

It’s a whole saga made for 12 year olds. And if the person you are now thinks that the new characters in Star Wars aren’t as iconic as the OG trilogy was, then that’s totally fine and a valid sentiment to have. Just be at peace that not all think like this, and there is a whole generation that is growing thinking Rey, Finn and Poe are as much iconic as we loved Luke, Han and Leia as kids. And that’s fine too.

25 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Feel like that's heading for a Last Knight style collapse.

I was going to say "it'd be lucky to make $500M worldwide at this point" but you pretty much made the same point. That movie should wait until after Filoni's story is done and over with, and get another director because the lady behind the lame Pakistan episodes of Ms. Marvel just ain't it. I'll leave it at that before this thread gets derailed.

3 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Even more impressive. They maintained and build interest for 20+ films, when others cant even do for 7-8.

Potter had lost 30-35% admits from first part till last. Avatar is 30% down in 2nd part itself, could be down to less than half by the time 5th come.

That's not how comic book arcs work really, though.  When you introduce a big bad and a shiny toy (in this case the infinity gauntlet) people are waiting to see that come to fruition.   Feige built this like a comic book story with a beginning,  middle and end and the accompanying movies acted as little side stories like you'd see in any comic book crossover event.  

It was a one of kind idea for sure and credit to them for pulling it off but that's why the interest was maintained because the elements that were introduced early on weren't yet on the playing field.  

Avatar came in as a brand new IP.  It didn't have decades of lore behind it like Iron Man, Cap, The Avengers and Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet which was a highly successful crossover event when comic books were still a thing. Avatar didn't have all of the cartoons and video games and posters and trading cards and everything else behind it.  It was just a new IP.  

Adjusted for inflation it has to be well over $3 billion at the box office.  Insanity. 

• Like 1