upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

16 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Tragic numbers for MI, it's completely rejected at this point despite glowing reception.

Looking back, there were a lot of mistakes made with that movie. The marketing was bizarre, there wasn't any real hook, and it had an awful release date which was awful even before the Barbenheimer phenomenon took shape. The "Part One" moniker was the tip of the iceberg. There's a reason the likes of Avengers 3 and Spider-Verse 2 ultimately dropped it by the time their marketing began.

I am so utterly dreading the short sighted Josstice-level reshoots that are inevitable for MI8 now.

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The problem with DR1 is that the marketing was so lackluster - which is even more confounding because Oppenheimer had a strong marketing campaign, and Barbie had one of the best marketings in film history. 

You are right. Even as an MI fan the trailers were really boring. 

Cineplex, a leading entertainment and media company, announced today that two of the most highly anticipated films of the summer, Barbie and Oppenheimer, achieved Cineplex's highest summer box office weekend record of all time, bringing in over $19 million in box office revenue and welcoming 1.4 million guests. With Barbie and Oppenheimer opening side-by-side, over 80,000 Cineplex guests were determined to experience not one, but both films on opening weekend, taking part in the global 'Barbenheimer' phenomenon. Incredibly, the weekend was the second highest grossing box office of all time for the Company, demonstrating that consumer enthusiasm for theatrical moviegoing at Cineplex and around the world is as strong as ever.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I am so utterly dreading the short sighted Josstice-level reshoots that are inevitable for MI8 now.

That wont happen. McQuarrie and Cruise woudnt let Paramount fuck up the story, especially after this release date and marketing disaster by the studio. This is a very different situation than what happened with JL.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

That wont happen. McQuarrie and Cruise woudnt let Paramount fuck up the story, especially after this release date and marketing disaster by the studio. This is a very different situation than what happened with JL.

That's my hope at least.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I think what Star Wars really needs though is to let the Skywalker Saga truly be over. Start something new, new characters, new storylines. The Sequel Trilogy is so divisive among fans for many reasons, but one of the main ones is: When you use old, beloved characters in your new film, people will have certain expectations for those characters and they will be unhappy if you use these characters in ways that piss people off. Im not taking sides here, im just saying that is a reality that many franchises face, but Star Wars handled it arguably worse than others.

A new storyline would erase that risk. Without Luke, Han, Leia, Rey, Finn etc. there is no real baggage left. Set the new movies 1000 years in the past or the future. And then, of course, just write a good script. I think this would please most Star Wars Fans a lot more than a continuation of the ST's storyline.

That's what next Jurassic movies will do.

Whenever next Jurassic movie release, it'll have new star cast, new director, new look, new style, there will be freshness.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Looking back, there were a lot of mistakes made with that movie. The marketing was bizarre, there wasn't any real hook, and it had an awful release date which was awful even before the Barbenheimer phenomenon took shape. The "Part One" moniker was the tip of the iceberg. There's a reason the likes of Avengers 3 and Spider-Verse 2 ultimately dropped it by the time their marketing began.

There's no way Cruise is letting paramount touch MI8 

They could excuse this as part of a bad release date and think next one will be fine. There's still no need for rash decisions.

Now if next one tanks, then you can have a problem.

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

That's what next Jurassic movies will do.

Whenever next Jurassic movie release, it'll have new star cast, new director, new look, new style, there will be freshness.

I certainly hope so. Jurassic Park 7/Jurassic World 4 must look and feel very different from the other movies. Otherwise, i sadly see a big decline for the franchise incoming.

But if they let some years pass and come back with a real banger - then the next Jurassic movie is in a very good position. Dominion showed imo how forgiving the audience is for these movies and also how big the worldwise appeal of the franchise truly is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I certainly hope so. Jurassic Park 7/Jurassic World 4 must look and feel very different from the other movies. Otherwise, i sadly see a big decline for the franchise incoming.

But if they let some years pass and come back with a real banger - then the next Jurassic movie is in a very good position. Dominion showed imo how forgiving the audience is for these movies and also how big the worldwise appeal of the franchise truly is.

I agree that the potential is there for the next chapter. But how exactly do you envision a different look and feel? Genuinely curious, what direction can they take to achieve that?

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Jurassic World Dominion has the distinction of being the only movie which underperformed in every single market it released and yet crossed a billion.

And that's due to poor WOM, now opening could've been little better, but the lifetime struggled due to WOM only.

Anyways the appeal is there, need to maintain the scale, and most importantly, the content & reception needs to be banger right out of the gate.

52 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm sure it's not gonna happen since those tragic results have nothing to do with MI's quality or reception.

Edited by Firepower

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I agree that the potential is there for the next chapter. But how exactly do you envision a different look and feel? Genuinely curious, what direction can they take to achieve that?

Well first of all you get new stars, preferably some popular rising stars with good following in social media and out of it.

New director could help with different looking movie visually and thematically.

Then you can have different tone, do you want more action packed or more thriller, or balance it out, maybe more horror.

And if the plot is basically Dinosaurs in real world now, then focus on that aspect, sell the audience that plot, unlike dominion which didn't. It promised, but didn't deliver..... Next time, you must deliver, and tease people with dinosaurs and humans in interesting new scenarios which are different than just chasing and running.

Chasing and Running will eventually happen.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Oh i for one have a lot of ideas 😅

One thing that i always thought could work is a series of standalone movies in a world where humans and dinos now have to live together - which would make sense following Dominion. One film could be a classic adventure-style film, another one a straight up horror movie (Fallen Kingdom imo showed that this can work very well in the JW franchise), the next one a more documentary-style movie where they have to (for example) find one specific dinosaur. I do think you could cover a lot of different genres and settings that way and avoid becoming stale.

What i would not do is return to the Park formula. That has been used enough now. The end goal of a new series of films could also mirror the Planet of the Apes movies: That we somehow (insert bullshit science here) end up with dinos ruling the world again.

I do believe there is some potential here. But like with everything, youd need good scripts for these to work.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

There's no way Cruise is letting paramount touch MI8 

They could excuse this as part of a bad release date and think next one will be fine. There's still no need for rash decisions.

Now if next one tanks, then you can have a problem.

Agreed. Quality wasn't the problem. It's doing what it was supposed to across the globe. Domestically it is cooked due to SoF and Barbenheimer. In China, it got limited release and pulled early, so that's unfortunate. 

Edited by The Dark Alfred

Remember when Jurassic World didn't just say that Park is Open, It showed that Park is open, in the trailers. Yeah there were chasing and Running, but most focus went on park is open.

Dominion said something but didn't follow through.

Your next movie first look must have half of trailer filled wirh Dinosaurs and Humans living like Humans and animals do.

As pets, In industrial work, in sports, in wild with other animals.

You wanna sell it, sell this, A Pride of Lion in standoff against a Pack of Raptors for a buffalo. 

A Mosasaur against a Pod of Orcas

Siblings playing with their pets, a small Baby triceratops. 

Galimimus racing like Greyhound races, or a Stegosaurus ploughing a field.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 2

After you've filled the trailer with some of this imagery, then you can close your trailer with some plot, and then some running and chasing which is a Jurassic Staple.

You need to build curiosity and make people wonder, rest will take of itself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

New director could help with different looking movie visually and thematically.

Then you can have different tone, do you want more action packed or more thriller, or balance it out, maybe more horror.

Sounds like Fallen Kingdom to me.

Anyway, what I think people are saying isn't so much about the look of the films (getting creative filmmakers onboard will allow for some unique style, sure, but it's still dinosaurs with the JP brand that matters) but the genres, in a way similar to superhero movies. You use the dinosaurs to go for a heist movie, or a spy caper or whatever. I get it - there's definitely potential. We'll see soon enough since Universal will for sure not let too much time pass before something new gets announced.