Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

35 minutes ago, KnightofNight237 said:

Another Pixar film showing the industry the Power of amazing WOM

I mean, is it really WOM when the movie has just been released on Thursday preview?

It seems more Power of loved IP.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It's definitely an IP thing. Presales were really good and walkups were super super strong 

i feel like both are probably contributing no? Clearly the power of popular IP has been very important given the presales and strong Thursday walkup business (some of which though was probably driven by the strong reviews/social media reactions) but this morning it seemed like consensus was thinking true Friday of around 40m on the high end and 120-130m for the weekend and that 10x preview multiple for pixar fathers day weekend movies seemed like close to a ceiling… but if it does go to 150m then thats better then 11X. So i feel like the numbers continuing to go up through the day has to be at least somewhat attributable to strong word of mouth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

When was the last time we were so wrong a day before release? Minions 2?

panda did like 10-15m more than expected. IIRC Godzilla X Kong most people were thinking around 60 million

A Quiet Place: Day One

Thursday Previews

T-13

Tickets Sold: 48 (+4) 

Growth: 9%

% PLF: 45.8%

5 theaters/23 showtimes

Comps:

(0.387x) of Dune 2 $3.6M

Oof. This pace is abysmal. Hopefully this improves in the coming days, or else 30M may be in question. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

22 hours ago, crazymoviekid said:

Inside Out 2:

Final Thursday Comps: 

Theater 1: 139 Tickets

Theater 2: 226 Tickets

KFP4: $18.74M

Barbie: $4.75M

Elemental: $11.09M

TLM: $10.17M

Minions 2: $6.24M

Lightyear: $11.33M

The Bad Guys: $6.56M

Great last day of sales. Comps bumping up to $10M-$11M.

Friday Comps: 

Theater 1: 475 Tickets

Theater 2: 720 Tickets

KFP4: $78.24M

Barbie: $19.98M

Elemental: $34.77M

TLM: $25.21M

Minions 2: $36.54M

Lightyear: $70.16M

The Bad Guys: $28.91M

Still very much anywhere between $25M-$35M. Would say closer to $30M

Inside Out 2:

Final Friday Comps: 

Theater 1: 1174 Tickets, 38.52% Full

Theater 2: 1170 Tickets, 64.07% Full 

KFP4: $67.55M

Barbie: $31.54M+

Elemental: $34.89M

TLM: $32.49M

Minions 2: $38.05M

Lightyear: $68.54M

The Bad Guys: $30.50M

Great to see numbers like these again. Honestly surprised by the $45M+ raw Friday numbers. I'll stick to my data with $35M. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, todos said:

So how bad is Canada underindexing for IO2? Imagine if it weren’t and we had the year’s possible $200M.

Nah. its canada. its not that big a market. Largest operator has 158 theaters that is 3/4th market share of the overall country. I think for mega openers OW is like 6% or so. But Canada tends to way more leggier than US and so overall it will end up at 10-12% gross. Pixar is lower end of it based on the data Charlie shared few days ago. 

21 minutes ago, todos said:

So how bad is Canada underindexing for IO2? Imagine if it weren’t and we had the year’s possible $200M.

Yeah I was going to say something about this. It must be underindexing hard. My theatre certainly looks nothing like a $150M weekend. I'm seeing this on Tuesday with my girlfriend and we both agreed based on seating charts there's no need to preorder our tickets.

Charlie would know for sure but I think moviegoing in Canada is even more down than it already is on the whole in North America. The last time my theatre felt truly busy was Barbenheimer weekend, and it's a pretty good location.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nah. its canada. its not that big a market. Largest operator has 158 theaters that is 3/4th market share of the overall country. I think for mega openers OW is like 6% or so. But Canada tends to way more leggier than US and so overall it will end up at 10-12% gross. Pixar is lower end of it based on the data Charlie shared few days ago. 

Yeah, Canada wouldnt have made it 200 lol. 

Besides as we got to know, its not summer break there yet, so probably behaving like May releases and will jump on Saturday. Also checked NY, they also don't go on summer break till June 26, so probably underindexing there too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think I was right about it. Need to recheck. I think I said 175M 5 days in BOT Telegram group when sales started.

Besides eventually by final day we knew no?

I thought thursday held up way better than expected and friday hit 55m. OD was probably expected though a week before we were honing in on 25m and then it kept going up. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah, Canada wouldnt have made it 200 lol. 

Besides as we got to know, its not summer break there yet, so probably behaving like May releases and will jump on Saturday. Also checked NY, they also don't go on summer break till June 26, so probably underindexing there too.

Got it. Thanks for answering my question and everything you do. Nerd numbers fanboy/girls would be so lost without you ❤️ 

…sorry back to A Quiet Place. 

On 6/13/2024 at 10:32 PM, keysersoze123 said:

Inside Out 2 MTC1 Friday - 259718/1408619 4186775.56 8038 shows +111870

Really strong T-1 sales for Friday. I think it can go for 600K finish tomorrow. That should get it to high 30s True friday. Let us see how the day goes. 

Inside Out 2 MTC1 Friday Final - 702376/1441721 11093767.14 8451 shows +442658

Just wanted to post this to show how crazy were it walkups today. It just blew past all our expectations. It was way crazier than even Minions 2 OD. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2