Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

Moana 2 and Wicked will co-exist fine together. 

Both are gonna be heavy female-skewing movies, but with Moana 2 skewing a bit younger than Wicked (as well as the holidays being a very lucrative time for moviegoing), I think it'll keep both movies from cannabalizing each other.

There's a lot going on, so I thought I'd do a bit of an omnibus update on some of the tracks. I'll try and do proper updates for Gladiator, Wicked and a quick count on Terrifier tomorrow. Will aim for Smile and Venom this weekend.

-Wicked is really looking strong. I don't have the comps for this one, and I think we'll need to see if anyone comes through with a Barbie update, because that's what I'm most curious to see.

-The showtime allocation on Wicked is bizarre. Dolby screens and lots of 3D for the prime shows and only 11 showtimes across my five screens. Similar to Gladiator, the chain seems to be keeping their options open.

-Speaking of ths chain, I saw word of a Wicked prop giveaway for anyone buying Wicked tickets opening weekend. Not sure how much incentive that provides, and anyone buying tickets between now and the day before previews is eligible, so it doesn't add too much incentive to get tickets early.

-Terrifier is still doing well. It should be full theatres for the peak time shows for Friday, hopefully leading to spillover.

-Gladiator didn't seem like it was doing anything too noteworthy on its second day, but again, limited showings and 40+ lead time.

-I haven't updated since the weekend but Venom is trending up, Smile is trending down.

- Lastly, we have some key members here who post updates from Florida. I don't know where they are situated exactly (as tracking an area can be done from anywhere), but @TheFlatLannister if you're anywhere near the impacted areas by Milton, I hope you're staying safe.

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

Terrifier 3 Michigan presale update. 
Thursday Oct 10 showings only. 
38 theaters.
104 showings (+10 since T-3).

T-22 was 432 tickets sold.  11.3684 tickets per theater or 4.91 tickets per showing. 

T-17 is 573 tickets sold (+32.64%).  15.079 tickets per theater or 6.51 tickets per showing. 

T-13 (morning) is 673 tickets sold (+17.45%).  17.71 tickets per theater or 7.48 tickets per showing.

T-8 (6pm EST) is 908 tickets sold (+34.92%).  23.89 tickets per theater or 9.76 tickets per showing.

T-3 (9:20pm EST) is 1,542 tickets sold (+69.82%).  40.58 tickets per theater or 16.40 tickets per showing.

T-1 (9:10 pm EST) is 2,067 tickets sold (+34,05%).  54.39 tickets per theater or 19.87 tickets per showing.

Michigan is closing really well with sales!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont have anything. Let us see if @Menor the Destroyer can post anything but he does focus on just 1 movie at a time. So we have to wait for Venom 3 to release before we can look at November movies. 

I will try to get Wicked. I was trying to get Gladiator 2 last night (Venom anyway won't be interesting until the final week probably), but they have changed their website again 🙃

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Terrifier 3 Utah presale update. 
Thursday Oct 10 showings only. 
7 theaters. 
28 showings (+11 since T-3)

T-21 was 177 tickets sold.  25.286 tickets per theater or 11.06 tickets per showing. 

T-17 is 245 tickets sold (+38.4%).  35.00 tickets per theater or 15.31 tickets per showing.  

T-13 (1:30pm EST) is 292 tickets sold (+19.18%).  41.71 tickets per theater or 18.25 tickets per showing.

T-8 (1:45pm EST) is 370 tickets sold (+26.71%).  52.86 tickets per theater or 23.12 tickets per theater.

T-6 (9:30pm EST) is 461 tickets sold (+24.59%).  65.86 tickets per theater or 28.81 tickets per showing.

T-3 (7pm EST) is 572 tickets sold (+24.08%).  81.71 tickets per theater or 33.65 tickets per showing.

T-1 (9:40pm EST) is 715 tickets sold (+25.00%).  102.14 tickets per theater or 25.54 tickets per showing.

17 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

I will try to get Wicked. I was trying to get Gladiator 2 last night (Venom anyway won't be interesting until the final week probably), but they have changed their website again 🙃

If they are changing that often, its ovah for this for sure. It was good while it lasted 🙂

30 minutes ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

“they have changed their website again”

why is that? Do you think it’s specifically  an anti external tracking mesure? Or any other reason?

Venom seems to be trading up in the locations I’m tracking, it makes sense because on the last days Sony started going pretty heavy with the marketing campaign for this one, it could also be already signs of a final week surge in pre sales that previous two Venom movies also had.