katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

Just now, Jonwo said:

The film was on a planned hiatus as Cruise was doing the promotional tour for DR1 and it's already 40% shot. I think given how Cruise is pretty much in the driving seat for MI, Paramount can't do much if anything to it. 

I mean, now it's on unplanned hiatus, and as you said, the film was already being made. I don't see what your original point was, other than to pretend like MI7 isn't in the same pile as Indy, The Flash, and the many other films that won't overcome their budgets.

45 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'm sure he has mixed feelings on it. I certainly do myself. The movie is benefiting financially, but it's also been pushed onto smaller screens for the most part (other than IMAX). Nolan wants people to watch his movies on the biggest screens, and Oppy is getting much worse treatment in that regard than movies such as Dunkirk & Interstellar. That's a bummer IMHO. 

It almost feels like it’s driven IMAX demand way more though, which is ultimately all Nolan cares about. 

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Where are you getting those figures, because this is what The Numbers has:

2023 - 21.36%

2022 - 18.26%

2021 - 20.42%

2020 - 0

2019 - 33.37%

2018 - 26.25%

2017 - 21.74%

2016 - 26.12%

2015 - 20.98%

2014 - 15.60%

2013 - 15.97%

2012 - 14.23%

2011 - 12.04%

2010 - 13.98%

Disney is a great scapegoat to keep from talking about the failure of the movie industry at large. Instead, folks want to skew the facts and focus on the one studio that literally has the least to lose by financially failing at the box office.

They're getting their numbers from their own heads, or from folks upset that Disney has gone woke. Meanwhile, Barbie's doing WB's heavy lifting for the year.

• Like 8

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It almost feels like it’s driven IMAX demand way more though, which is ultimately all Nolan cares about. 

IMAX screen count is a drop in the bucket compared to the screen count for large "regular" screens along with other PLF's. He wants people to see the movie on large screens with good quality projection, not pushed onto the tiniest screens out there. There would be no point in shooting the movie with both regular 70mm cameras and IMAX 70mm cameras if the only big screens for the movie were going to be IMAX blended with a bunch of really small screens. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

IMAX screen count is a drop in the bucket compared to the screen count for large "regular" screens along with other PLF's. He wants people to see the movie on large screens with good quality projection, not pushed onto the tiniest screens out there. There would be no point in shooting the movie with both regular 70mm cameras and IMAX 70mm cameras if the only big screens for the movie were going to be IMAX blended with a bunch of really small screens. 

Why I get why he wants a summer slot, I think releasing Oppenheimer in September or October would have ensured both IMAX for ages and the big PLFs. The first weekend of October is a really good slot for adult skewing films as evident by Gravity, The Martian, Joker etc but Nolan has so much say in release dates that he'll never opt for anything other than July,

• Like 1

FAST X did ok. It floats between flop and a respectable return and it is closer to a flop. It is definitely losing money. ELEMENTAL and TLM are making more revenue. It's doing less than the previous entry that came out during covid. China inflates its worldwide tally, but in reality the studio will see 30m max revenue from that. It is also a rotten film. Universal gotta somewhat control the budget for the next one.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Why I get why he wants a summer slot, I think releasing Oppenheimer in September or October would have ensured both IMAX for ages and the big PLFs. The first weekend of October is a really good slot for adult skewing films as evident by Gravity, The Martian, Joker etc but Nolan has so much say in release dates that he'll never opt for anything other than July,

Agree with you. September or October is where Nolan should be releasing his movies. Gravity had a very long run in IMAX and PLF screens. But overall in the case of Oppenheimer, it's hard to argue with the financial results on this movie. It looks like Mission Impossible was the summer movie that really should have been a September release. 

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just dawned on me that THM as an epic flop OW is still nearly same level as Elemental’s. Still can’t wrap my head around what an unprecedented disaster that OW was for Pixar. Should have been impossible in the summer. 

Nearly the same? 

EDIT: Oh, right, opening week. Well, you win this one MovieMan89. I still think the Disney focus is crazy.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
Bad at reading comprehension

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Agree with you. September or October is where Nolan should be releasing his movies. Gravity had a very long run in IMAX and PLF screens. But overall in the case of Oppenheimer, it's hard to argue with the financial results on this movie. It looks like Mission Impossible was the summer movie that really should have been a September release. 

Mission Impossible would never get a September release, it's mostly a summer film with the exception of the fourth film which was December and I think Paramount would agree. I think December 2024 might be an option for the next film since next summer is unlikely.

Mission Impossible would never get a September release, it's mostly a summer film with the exception of the fourth film which was December and I think Paramount would agree. I think December 2024 might be an option for the next film since next summer is unlikely.

MI7 was originally scheduled for release in Sept 2022, actually.

• Like 1

Funny though, considering it was at one point, scheduled for a September 2022 release

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Disney ran through all of their IP super fast. A Star Wars sequel trilogy? Check. Avengers saga? Check. Disney Renaissance live action movies? Check. Pixar sequels? Check. What’s left?

A new IP. 

Not like anyone saw the success of Frozen, Iron Man or Zootopia coming. They can literally just live on park profits and eventually one of their creative teams will hit a new home run  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Mission Impossible was scheduled for September 2022. Should have moved it to September 2023. Even August 18 would have been much better than the July mistake.

• Like 1