katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

TBF Disney has never really done original IP at least on a big scale in live action unless you count things released by Touchstone or Hollywood Pictures. Indeed looking at their history, most of their most successful live action films are based on existing things like Mary Poppins or Pirates. The closest thing they've had to original IP in live action under the Disney brand is Herbie. 

They have shut down the Touchstone/Hollywood pipeline, although I suppose Fox is now taking on the role of being the outlet for the kind of movies they'd have released under that.

Nonetheless, ten years ago they were still doing stuff like Enchanted, Secretariat, etc... under Disney. I suppose stuff like Mars Needs Moms and John Carter/Lone Ranger soured them on gambling on original projects or unestablished IPs. But it feels like Disney has forgotten how to do live action family movies that are not remakes or based on rides - even if when they have had their share of bombs with these kind of projects, too.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TMP said:

Still profoundly confused as to how Haunted Mansion scored so incredibly well on Quorum. I feel like it's been a pretty iffy metric for tracking as-is, but considering that it was the only metric going in HM's favor then I guess we can say it's pretty weak to use on its own

Out of season? Like people were interested, but as a Spooky Season watch, not in summer. Or it was a tweener: too scary (pg-13) for young kids, but still too kiddie for older kids

Just now, Celedhring said:

They have shut down the Touchstone/Hollywood pipeline, although I suppose Fox is now taking on the role of being the outlet for the kind of movies they'd have released under that.

Nonetheless, ten years ago they were still doing stuff like Enchanted, Secretariat, etc... under Disney. I suppose stuff like Mars Needs Moms and John Carter/Lone Ranger soured them on gambling on original projects or unestablished IPs. But it feels like Disney has forgotten how to do live action family movies that are not remakes or based on rides - even if when they have had their share of bombs with these kind of projects, too.

I don't count Enchanted as that's a homage to Disney. Secretariat, Million Dollar Arm and Queen of Kwate all bombed and Saving Mr Banks was a modest hit and even then that wasn't wholly original.

The issue is that the cheap and cheerful movies that Disney used to make simply don't make money anymore.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TMP said:

Still profoundly confused as to how Haunted Mansion scored so incredibly well on Quorum. I feel like it's been a pretty iffy metric for tracking as-is, but considering that it was the only metric going in HM's favor then I guess we can say it's pretty weak to use on its own

I think when a brand is already famous like Batman, Barbie etc..people can say "yes i heard about It" but they even mean another movie or just Batman. Probably has more credit to understand how a totally original movie is know. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Sound of Freedom will be on there in the lower tier...

I like how you've just decided to stan this movie after flopping with your July predictions after going on and on about how you have a perfect prediction record

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

I like how you've just decided to stan this movie after flopping with your July predictions after going on and on about how you have a perfect prediction record

They also thought Ruby Gillman would be a hit, that went well...

6 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hmm. So word of mouth not strong at all. Odd to change the title so late. Wonder what was behind that decision?

The Boy and the Heron is the english language title. How Do You Live is an english translation of the japanese title. 

26 minutes ago, TMP said:

It may seem like it scored well, but you also have to recognize that having your awareness score in the 50s generally isn't very good the week of release. It can ensure a movie will do at least 10M+, 20M+, and sometimes even 30M+, but once you want to go higher than that, things get super unlikely. Only 44% of movies that score in the 50s in awareness got a 40M opening or higher, and only a third got above 50M. That's not a great metric. In fact, the only movies to get above 60M with a Quorum awareness in the 50s are Ant-Man 3, Venom 2, Black Adam, and Guardians 3. I wonder what connects all those movies? 🤔

I know it sounds great for a movie to have more than half of survey respondents know that it exists, but it's way better to be in the 60s or higher, when movies typically open above 50M or higher. There's an art to understanding this as the data gains more and more depth, though I understand the confusion here.

• Like 2

Unless it’s already been mentioned, another movie we’re all sleeping on that if done right should be a massive hit all over the world next year. 

Antoine Fuqua’s Michael Jackson biopic - Michael. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Unless it’s already been mentioned, another movie we’re all sleeping on that if done right should be a massive hit all over the world next year. 

Antoine Fuqua’s Michael Jackson biopic - Michael. 

Has a shot at a billion if its BR quality. 

• Like 2