Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

If Oppenheimer lands at number 2 for the weekend, I think it will tie the record for most weeks of a two movies locked as one and two.

The other examples I found are both during the Titanic run, with Tomorrow Never Dies and The Wedding Singer each taking runs of 3 weeks at number 2.

If Oppenheimer gets it this weekend, it could set the record next week.

There’s going to be a lot of those 3 week runs of #1/2 around Christmas, since it’s almost always 2 weeks by default, then just a question of holding for a 3rd (like Avatar/Sherlock). Also JW & Inside out did it, though they flipped in week 3 

Depending on how far back you go, I’m sure there’s some absurd streak like 5/6/7 weeks given how long those films could hold the top spot 

Just now, grim22 said:

I think it's in part 3 where Megatron helps him kill Spock and then says "Truce" and he immediately goes "DIE" and brutally rips out his spinal cord. I remember thinking "that feels unnecessarily violent" when watching that because it's not set up in the least.

Yup. That's the one thing I ABSOLUTLEY loved about Rise of the Beasts - Optimus Primal basically goes "wtf is wrong with you, you insane murderous psychopath? You are in no way like I imagined you". He is just a rampaging lunatic and I kinda love it.

• Like 1

Since the topic of July's total gross has come up, here is something I've been tracking for quite a while now: the monthly gross as compared to the 5 year pre-pandemic average

6sM2FkS.gif

Only 6 months in the post-pandemic recovery have even hit 80% (-20% on chart) of that before times average monthly gross: Oct 2021, June & July 2022, June 2023: with April and now July of 2023 being the first to actually top it, at +1.6% (Mario) and +8.7% (Barbenheimer) respectively

In the big picture view though, we seem to have found an overall consistent level, as since last July, the rolling 52-week average has hovered between ~$140M and ~$155M weekly, or ~$7.3-$8.1 Billion annually, way down from the 5 consecutive years of $11 Billion+ (~$220M weekly) pre-pandemic.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

There’s going to be a lot of those 3 week runs of #1/2 around Christmas, since it’s almost always 2 weeks by default, then just a question of holding for a 3rd (like Avatar/Sherlock). Also JW & Inside out did it, though they flipped in week 3 

Depending on how far back you go, I’m sure there’s some absurd streak like 5/6/7 weeks given how long those films could hold the top spot 

I specifically checked Avatar, and must have just miscounted. Yes, that's another three week run.

I checked some of the longer runs from the 80s like ET and Back to the Future, but the 2 spot rotated out enough. Anything before the 80s is too hard to figure out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Transformers 4 had robot dinosaurs in it, would have made Jurassic World numbers if good. 

What about … a Jurassic World & Transformers crossover???

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

your analysis imo is too focused on weekends and weekdays are just "weekdays". This week barbie made mon-thu 55M dollar, avengers made 29M. The difference is very big even if weekends are then 5% lower.

Avengers made on third week weekdays 19M. Barbie could make more than that  for the next 2 weeks.

Avengers not only is a different genre but was released at the very first of may when weekends are bigger and weekdays slower. And still barbie weekends are very slightly lower with weekdays the double bigger. 

Even if summer came for Avengers too and its weekdays it was after 2 months of release so it's different when you have it from week 1. 

well you ignored this part of my analysis where i mentioned memorial day and expansion, avengers was released on may 4th in southern states summer break started one month after avengers was released.  You should also remember that i said 630 mln is imo too optimistic which means avenger plus 7 millions. 

17 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I specifically checked Avatar, and must have just miscounted. Yes, that's another three week run.

I checked some of the longer runs from the 80s like ET and Back to the Future, but the 2 spot rotated out enough. Anything before the 80s is too hard to figure out.

I found a few more 3 week runs around January, but did find a 5 week run:

GOTG & TMNT in 2014, stating on 8/08 through 9/05 (though again they flipped spots in the middle)

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

more than 60% drop from true first Friday

Saw that coming after its terrible Wednesday drop. Being a PG-13 film that is too mature for kids and too boring for teens/adults it doesn't really have an audience. Disney need to learn nobody is gonna line up for mediocre product if it's not already a beloved movie.