Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

24 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Barbie shows there is a late 90s early 2000s female audience that grew up with movies like mean girls or clueless and they have a nostalgia for this genre. So It's smart to make something new for them again.

As you said it's not Barbie, something very multigenerational but you can make a successfull girly - silly 50M budgeted movie. 

I guess. Not really sure the appeal is there though. When I said “popular” I meant in a very moderate way, I don’t recall them ever being any kind of pop culture craze like a beanie babies or furbys (waiting for a Furby Gremlins knock off). 

A full blown Mean Girls knock off like you kind of mention seems like the viable option. But that also sounds destined to fail to me. 

Edited by MovieMan89

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/barbie-oppenheimer-july-box-office-record-1235452876/

July Domestic Box Office On Fire With $1.37 Billion, Second Best Ever

I thought the consensus is July 2023 is the fourth biggest ever at $1.36bn? How did Comscore mint another $10m and allow July 2023 to leap ahead of 2013 and 2016? It is hard to believe the remaining unreported gross can contribute extra $10m to July BO. 

BOM says $1,358,419,697.

Also, here are the rankings of the rest of the months in 2023.

#14 June

#20 May

#03 April

#17 March

#22 February

#22 January

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Like clockwork. Two months after theatrical release date it hits PVOD. Then physical just over a month later. Probably Disney+ then too. 

Indy bound to be PVOD just before end of August. 

Disney+ on September 27 then. It has been always 1 day after homevideo.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Like clockwork. Two months after theatrical release date it hits PVOD. Then physical just over a month later. Probably Disney+ then too. 

Indy bound to be PVOD just before end of August. 

I miss Pixar old-fashioned re-expansion during Labour Day. I hope they bring back this tradition for Elemental this year and allow the movie to gross few more millions. 

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

BOM says $1,358,419,697.

Also, here are the rankings of the rest of the months in 2023.

#14 June

#20 May

#03 April

#17 March

#22 February

#22 January

BOM number should go up to over $1.36bn once they include TTM's Monday gross. Still this doesn't resolve the ambiguity of which July is the second biggest ever. How Comscore number is $10m higher because of drive-in?  

• Like 2

Just now, titanic2187 said:

I miss Pixar old-fashioned re-expansion during Labour Day. I hope they bring back this tradition for Elemental this year and allow the movie to gross few more millions. 

I agree. And the expansions were big, allowing the movies to really capitalize on the Labour Day weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Just came back from THE MEG 2 and all i wanted and expected was to see HUGE SHARKS.

What i got was a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

At least in the first half, the second half of the movie was exactly the kind of silly nonsense i want. But the characters .... arrrghh ... and the script ... uuuffffff ....

5/10, not enough huge sharks to really please me, too much of them to make me really dislike this.

Fail Tom Hiddleston GIF

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

BOM number should go up to over $1.36bn once they include TTM's Monday gross. Still this doesn't resolve the ambiguity of which July is the second biggest ever. How Comscore number is $10m higher because of drive-in?  

Indian movies? BOM doesn’t really include foreign cinema, for some reason.

5 minutes ago, BadAtGender said:

How much of WB’s yearly box office is going to come from Barbie 

Domestic so far:

Barbie - $406.38

Non-Barbie - $272.15 mil

Meg 2 may get the NB # to $300 mil this weekend. If their other releases all stay in 2023, there could be $800 mil out there, which would put NB at $1.1 bil, Barbie at $550 mil or so, so 33%?

• Like 2