Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

8 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

The poster has not promoted, purchased, or streamed I CAN'T STOP ME by TWICE, which is the way to become official in this forum. ❤️

As someone who was a full time K-pop fan for five years in Korea, it's always funny to see your comments on a box office theory forum. My two worlds colliding (sort of).

Afaik, Lionsgate never reported anything for Cobweb (op 7/21). That’s probably a couple of million in ComScore numbers that’s listed not on database sites

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

The OG Meg beat Solo at the box office, just like Meg 2 will beat Indy. 

After just seeing Meg 2 I'm taking the under Indy total. Meg 2 is easily the worst movie i've seen this summer maybe this year.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Was Bratz ever even that popular? I feel it doesn't even reach half of Barbie's popularity. My Little Pony seems like a better IP (not sure who owns it).

No

Hasbro owns it, and MLP would be able to have some popularity beyond little girls, given the popularity of Friendship is Magic among male nerds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Was Bratz ever even that popular? I feel it doesn't even reach half of Barbie's popularity. My Little Pony seems like a better IP (not sure who owns it).

Can't wait to see Florence and Timothy prancing around with pony tails

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I guess. Not really sure the appeal is there though. When I said “popular” I meant in a very moderate way, I don’t recall them ever being any kind of pop culture craze like a beanie babies or furbys (waiting for a Furby Gremlins knock off). 

A full blown Mean Girls knock off like you kind of mention seems like the viable option. But that also sounds destined to fail to me. 

It failed because they did this in 2007 too. A Bratz movie wouldn't really take off.

Monster High might be cooking with gasoline though.

2 minutes ago, YM! said:

It failed because they did this in 2007 too. A Bratz movie wouldn't really take off.

Monster High might be cooking with gasoline though.

Honestly thought this was an extension of Monsters Inc until I googled.

53 minutes ago, M37 said:

Afaik, Lionsgate never reported anything for Cobweb (op 7/21). That’s probably a couple of million in ComScore numbers that’s listed not on database sites

They did for the opening weekend. Made $98,323 from July 21-23.

Kinda frustrating how many titles are reported through ComScore that BOM and The-Numbers don't include for whatever reason.

Edited by datpepper
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, datpepper said:

Kinda frustrating how many titles are reported through ComScore that BOM and The-Numbers don't include for whatever reason.

Lionsgate needs to die as soon as possible. They are killing movies. Cobweb could have done 30-40M WW.

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

OK, Barbie is number one again, definitely always going to remember that one haha, because tonight I've become a father for the first time 😁

The picture you showed in the Telegram chat melted my heart. You're gonna be a great dad. :)

1 hour ago, eeetooki said:

Lol MLP would be one of the biggest blunders. It's more well known but not in a good way. It is viewed as such a joke IP that even it would be a Morbius level meme and bomb

54 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Neither Mojo nor numbers has anything for it domestically, that’s why I thought it didn’t report  

… also didn’t it open in like 1,000 theaters? That’s some all time low PTA 

1 hour ago, robertman2 said:

No

Hasbro owns it, and MLP would be able to have some popularity beyond little girls, given the popularity of Friendship is Magic among male nerds

Eh

I feel like the Bronies would hold back MLP at this point, undermining its reach with the core audience 

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

OK, Barbie is number one again, definitely always going to remember that one haha, because tonight I've become a father for the first time 😁

Holy shit buddy! Congratulations! You're going to be a great dad and you've come a long way since we first got to know each other a few years back. I'm really happy for you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimmyB said:

After just seeing Meg 2 I'm taking the under Indy total. Meg 2 is easily the worst movie i've seen this summer maybe this year.

It's a 25 million opening weekend. Saying it's going to finish under dial of Destiny would be like someone in 77 saying close encounter of the third kind would finish with less than A New Hope..... It's kind of just like a given, a no kidding kind of statement.  Meg2 would need a seven multiplier to get past Indy LOL that ain't happening.

• Like 1

These last few weeks remind me of my earliest boxoffice tracking experiences….the dual run of Forrest Gump and Lion King. I believe Forrest Gump had a photo finish two weeks in a row! I could be mistaken. Obviously Barbie and Oppenheimer (just saw it a 4th time) are vastly apart but the dual nature of that 1994 summer season is there. 

• Like 3