The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I do wonder if that was ever going to happen, even if Fisher was alive for the final movie, outside of all of them as force ghosts in the final movie or something. Han was killed off in the first movie so all of them together and alive in canon may never have happened. It's weird that in such a fan service set of movies, the ultimate fan service moment never happened.

The reunion of the three was likely never an option, since they decided to kill Han in the Force Awaken.

That said, considering people wasn't so angry in the Force Awaken (which was the movie that make their reunion impossible), I don't think the dissapoinment for a lack of reunion was so big.

Edited by Kon

35 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Both. Dead Reckoning is obtuse and unapproachable outside of the film context. It even sounds odd to read or say. Anyone can get a solid idea of what those other subtitles could mean and they are appealing enough for marketing prospects. 

Part 1 is bad for box office. 

Sorry, but your opinion doesn’t mean it’s the true. 

IMO, Ghost Protocol is just as obtuse, but there’s no use in debating that with you. 

22 minutes ago, Kon said:

The reunion of the three was likely never an option, since they decided to kill Han in the Force Awaken.

That said, considering people wasn't so angry in the Force Awaken (which was the movie that make their reunion impossible), I don't think the dissapoinment for a lack of reunion was so big.

That’s exactly my point. Nobody in the creative process was pushing for a story that included a reunion of the OT cast. 

They easily could have done a story that started with them and “passed the baton” as the movie/trilogy went on. 

• Like 2

Dead Reckoning isn’t a mega bomb but it’s definitely a massive disappointment. Hopefully Part 2 can do better. Interesting, it seems now there seems to be a large amount of people saying the MI franchise is overrated and DR sucks and no doubt the box office has contributed to that perception. 

Edited by John Marston

52 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

None of the MI subtitles matter too much Tom Cruise made a good point that no one remembers these films by their name but rather what their big stunt was (which you could argue they overcooked the marketing for the bike jump in Dead Reckoning). But the Part One addition was a mistake definitely. 

biggest mistake was the club scene. it looked like a scene from a B movie crept into MI and Cruise's character had lower charisma in this than this previous films . Plus he showed his age after a long time in this movie. 

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

None of the MI subtitles matter too much Tom Cruise made a good point that no one remembers these films by their name but rather what their big stunt was (which you could argue they overcooked the marketing for the bike jump in Dead Reckoning). But the Part One addition was a mistake definitely. 

The bike jump wasn’t even the most exciting set piece in this for me. The one right after it was much more exciting in my opinion, although you could argue it was merely a continuation of it.

I’ve read somewhere in this forum that the next big one could be deep under water, but I am not sure how exciting an underwater stunt can really be. 

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Ford probably demanded that Han get killed off, so if a reunion didn't happen in TFA, it wasn't going to happen at all

While many of the decisions in TFA were questionable from a trilogy starting standpoint, they did aid in making it as huge as it was

However, without those choices, I'm not sure Johnson could have done as well with TLJ

Because Abrams is so dedicated to the mystery box and refused to answer questions or even, y'know, basic plot setup decisions, Johnson had pretty free reign to interpret things as they stood

So he was able to give Hamill an amazing role, present Snoke however he liked, and set up a frankly amazing third act

Either option Lucasfilm had for the third film (keeping Trevorrow or letting Johnson have an extra year so he could do Knives Out) would have been better than bringing back Abrams

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah Dead Reckoning is not a bomb. The Flash, Indy 5, Haunted Mansion those are bombs. Dead Reckoning is a major underperformer for sure, but "bomb" is a word that should be reserved for the true misfires.

the film and media industry, if a film released in theatres fails to break even by a large amount, it is considered a box-office bomb (or box-office flop), thus losing money for the distributor, studio, and/or production company that invested in it. 

Sorry to bring  this up again. 

Indy5, Flash,HM and likely MI7 are all bombs . It's just flash and Indy are mega ones.

please can we stop confusing it with other public  perceptions.  

DS2 was never a flop bse it didn't reach a billion  and just because some users don't have ample knowledge on box office and say it  doesn't make it true.

It has nothing to do with public perception  and it's about a movies financial standing after its run.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

If there had been a full reunion in TFA of the three (four? six?) principals from the original trilogy, the film would have cleared $1B domestically. The nostalgia factor was already through the roof. A reunion of that nature would have sent the gross into orbit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BadAtGender said:

Like George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, and Richard Marquand

The story there was George Lucas all the way through, and then Larry Kasdan stepped in to help in the second and third movies. Here it was J. J. Abrams & Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt, Rian Johnson, and then a bunch of people for the third one.

• Like 1