kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

It's a typical copy & paste Korean drama storyline, which are often overdone, condensed into a single story without the touch. 

Coco is obviously the best movie out of the bunch. 

I mean in terms of the "I'm With Her" style campaigning being effective.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

It's a typical copy & paste Korean drama storyline, which are often overdone, condensed into a single 2 hour movie without the touch. 

Coco is obviously the best movie out of the bunch. 

It's a fun rom com featuring beautiful Asian people. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I mean in terms of the "I'm With Her" style campaigning being effective.

I mean Coco released and exploded in Mexico first, before having a world premiere in the rest of the world.  

When have you ever heard a film releasing in Mexico 1 month before the world premiere? 

Edited by The GOAT

11 hours ago, excel1 said:

Blue Beetle really about to be the first sub $30m opening weekend to hit $500m domestic, I can't believe it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, noobmaster69 said:

Form the diversity demos, Mario has 41% Latin audience, and Atsv has 34% Latin audience, so single Latin audience can provide 43m-60m opening box office, Latin audience has huge market potential, when they interested, T7 & BB though benefited from a latin audience, but apparently they weren't as interested in them as Mario and Atsv.

Mario is a pretty interesting case, because they don't have latino characters.

Would it be related to Mario being Italian?.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, Human said:

The same thing I wanted to see since this craze started, the supervillain brawl.  Something like The Justice League vs The Legion of Doom or Justice Society vs The Injustice Society.  Not the team of superheroes fights one guy powerful enough to beat them, certainly not they fight a disposable army.  If you have 7ish superheroes on the team then they fight 7ish supervillains on the team.

Human gets it. Human understands. 
Villains trying to work together >>>>> faceless army

Edited by Mr Terrific
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kon said:

It's probably related to the fact that latinos are one of the groups that cares the absolute least about representation. And I say this as a latino. There are some advocacy groups that care but most people reaaally don't. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

Latinos just like Mario. It's like a running joke that latin mothers of a certain age call all video game consoles "Nintendo's." I even have uncles that played Mario on the Original NES when they were teenagers and in their 20s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

What kind of storylines would you like to see in superheroes movies to make them more intriguing?

It certainly feels like they've ran out of ideas because except for the Flash and Infinity War/Endgame, it's the same movie 100 times over. 

Spider-Man movies have often been good or better. Still, we haven’t seen Spider-Man fighting some devious plot by the Kingpin. That could be the plot of next movie with Daredevil tied. 
Would be nice. 

1 minute ago, 21C said:

It's probably related to the fact that latinos are one of the groups that cares the absolute least about representation. And I say this as a latino. There are some advocacy groups that care but most people reaaally don't. 

And those advocacy groups are some of the most white washed Latino-Americans around! It hurts trying to explain this to people, especially to white people who treasure diversity and representation to make themselves feel better.

Latinos don't even band together around Latino most of the time. We're a lot more nationalistic. We say we're mexican, not latino for example. We don't have to talk about "latinidad" all the time like a lot of extremely online latinos. We just are.

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

What would Mario being italian have to do with appeal within the latino demographic?

I wouldn't know either. That's why I was asking if there could be a connection.

I'm latino (Peruvian), but I don't know how things work on USA.

The Lead Actress of Blue Beetle has a major following in Brazil with 44M instagram followers. Anybody know if it'll breakout in Brazil?   

Where is Zatt when you need him?

Edited by The GOAT

I can't feel bad for WB when Barbie alone has probably covered whatever losses they've seen from these DC nonstarters (though at least this will surpass its bottom floor expectations of recent weeks and should make more than Shazam 2, in addition to being seen as less of an embarrassment than that movie + The Flash were). The only question now is what will the rest of their year look like (and when over the next few weeks will they pull the plug on Dune's November release).

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

For Moana, there are less than 1 million Polynesians worldwide so that obviously wasn't a major cause of it's success.

There is over 1 million Polynesians here in New Zealand alone, close to 1 million in the US as well I believe, 200k+ in both Australia and Samoa, then probably another 500k or so in the other Polynesian islands. Probably be close to 3 million worldwide.

As for Moana it certainly over performed here locally I believe the 4th or 5th highest grossing film of 2016-2017 (it was a December 26th release which is why I included both years) after Hunt for the Wilderpeople, The Last Jedi and Thor Ragnarok and maybe Finding Dory. It also would have over indexed in Hawaii and certain parts of Australia as well. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

The Lead Actress of Blue Beetle has a major following in Brazil with 44M instagram followers. Anybody know if it'll breakout in Brazil?   

Where is Zatt when you need him?

From the comps posted by Waluigi in the brazil thread it was much lower than both GOTG3 and even Flash. Single sample and whatnot though.

Edited by JustLurking

4 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

This kind of proves that Latinos don't really care about representation right? At least just not "we're supporting anything that represents us" unless it's in idk a Marvel movie or something.

I don’t think Latinos have the same sense of being a cohesive group that African-Americans have. Too many difference countries, cultures, and perspectives for Hollywood to “represent” in a way that appeals to Latinos en masse. Coco is maybe the exception? Although Dia De Los Muertos is popular in general.