kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

I do think it's also safe to say that superhero fatigue's here and it's safe to say The Marvels (unless it has GoTG 3-tier WOM) and Aquaman 2 are pretty much guaranteed to drop hard from their billion dollar predecessors. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I do think it's also safe to say that superhero fatigue's here and it's safe to say The Marvels (unless it has GoTG 3-tier WOM) and Aquaman 2 are pretty much guaranteed to drop hard from their billion dollar predecessors. 

Even if Marvels has GOTG3 tier WOM it would still drop hard from it's predecessor

ResetEra was simping hard for Blue Beetle and being insanely toxic towards everyone skeptical of it, so I imagine they're going to be piiiiiiiiiiissed when the weekend numbers come in.

But honestly, this was inevitable. Even if Warner actually believed in it and marketed it properly and there weren't any strikes to throw serious wrenches into the marketing machinery, this movie was destined to flop. If you want to turn niche characters into goldmines you need a strong brand to prop it up. That's how Marvel worked back in their golden age. And the DC brand is, in my opinion, among the top 3 most toxic and poisonous brands in entertainment right now, at least on film. It's at the level of Transformers during the time of The Last Knight.

I can't be the only one who's slowly starting to get concerned about Superman Legacy's financial prospects. Especially since both Dial of Destiny and Mutant Mayhem proved how good audiences are at holding grudges. Who's to say that the stench of Batman v Superman won't rub off on Legacy? But that's talk for later down the road.

Anyway, I guess we can say goodbye to Blue Beetle as a character for at least another decade. DC benched Green Lantern after his movie bombed, and we're just now getting a new major Lantern project, so get ready to not see Blue Beetle in any major capacity across all forms of media for years to come.

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

ResetEra was simping hard for Blue Beetle and being insanely toxic towards everyone skeptical of it, so I imagine they're going to be piiiiiiiiiiissed when the weekend numbers come in.

But honestly, this was inevitable. Even if Warner actually believed in it and marketed it properly and there weren't any strikes to throw serious wrenches into the marketing machinery, this movie was destined to flop. If you want to turn niche characters into goldmines you need a strong brand to prop it up. That's how Marvel worked back in their golden age. And the DC brand is, in my opinion, among the top 3 most toxic and poisonous brands in entertainment right now, at least on film. It's at the level of Transformers during the time of The Last Knight.

I can't be the only one who's slowly starting to get concerned about Superman Legacy's financial prospects. Especially since both Dial of Destiny and Mutant Mayhem proved how good audiences are at holding grudges. Who's to say that the stench of Batman v Superman won't rub off on Legacy? But that's talk for later down the road.

Anyway, I guess we can say goodbye to Blue Beetle as a character for at least another decade. DC benched Green Lantern after his movie bombed, and we're just now getting a new major Lantern project, so get ready to not see Blue Beetle in any major capacity across all forms of media for years to come.

I’d argue that you need an appealing trailer that makes people’s heart racing. Trailers like they had in the good old days.

12 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Disney is responsible for this. Avengers movies kept people interested in CBM movies. People were excited for CBM movies when they were getting a big event movie every 3 years, but by not delivering Avengers movies in phase 4 and 5, they broke that cycle and made a lot of people disinterested in CBM movies. Now the interest in CBM has been limited to big or popular characters like Deadpool, Batman, Spider-Man, and Superman.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

What's irritating to me, is all we've heard for years is "stop casting minority actors in white roles for the sake of diversity!" And now there's a legitimate minority superhero and nobody supports it. It's extremely annoying.

People just aren’t interested in Superhero movies to the same degree they were before. Gen Z has been getting comic book content shoved down their throats for their entire lives. The trend is simply stagnating.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I’d argue that you need an appealing trailer that makes people’s heart racing. Trailers like they had in the good old days.

Exactly. Trailers nowadays are so boring. They don't make em like they used to.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Aquaman 2 sub $300m WW?

Honestly, that's looking like a decent possibility now. All the rumours so far point to it not being anywhere near the crowdpleaser the first film was. Combine that with a rotting carcass of a brand, and yes, your armchair prediction becomes a very real outcome. And that's scary.

If Flash and Aquaman both have a $300M budget we might be looking at something like this

Movie title - box office/budget

Shazam 2 - $133M/$125M

The Flash - $268M/$300M

Blue Beetle - $120M/$104M

Aquaman 2 - $300M/$300M

Total - $821M/$824M

What the actual hell. . .

26 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

We aren’t getting Flash, Shazam, Black Adam or Blue Beetle anytime in the next decade if Green Lantern is anything to go by. Hell they seem to have even abandoned Wonder Woman too and if Aquaman bombs in December, which is looking likely, we can also kiss him goodbye. 

I dont know how Gunn plans on making The Authority, Supergirl or Swamp Thing hits when DC has shown very clearly that they can’t sell anyone other than Batman to the general audience. At least Booster Gold, Waller and Creature Commandos will be kept to streaming but as we’ve seen with Marvel, that’s not a good thing. 

3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

The Flash's budget was 220 last i heard? That said GOTG3 WW > DCEU's 2023 slate WW; yay or nay?

The Hollywood Reporter had a story out the other day saying that The Flash had a $300 million budget: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/barbie-transformers-ninja-turtles-summer-toys-1235566369/

Moderation

@El Gato this whole “we are never ever ever ever ever seeing Aquaman or Flash or Blue Beetle in a million years because DC movies are dead forever” schtick isn’t cute anymore. It’s not funny, never was funny, and frankly seems like you’re trying to troll.

If you continue this hyperbolic nonsense further, you will lead me no choice but to threadban you.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

The Flash's budget was 220 last i heard? That said GOTG3 WW > DCEU's 2023 slate WW; yay or nay?

The Hollywood Reporter just said the budget was $300M (although different trades provide different budgets so we'll never truly know)

If Blue Beetle ends at $120M, then Aquaman 2 needs to make $324M for DC 2023 > Vol 3 WW. I'm not completely ruiling out Aquaman sub 325, but I'm going no for that

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Aquaman 2 will be a bit of a bright spot for DC I think. Jason Momoa is still relatively well liked compared to an Ezra Miller, and the original did well after a rocky period for DC as well. 

If DC back in 2017-2019 was "rocky", then DC now is a pit of lava

• Haha 2