kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

That would have to be a new precedent I think, since that’s even worse than Alice to Alice 2s collapse. 

All I know is if it’s a bomb, then Birds of Prey to WW84 to The Suicide Squad to Black Adam to Shazam 2 to The Flash to Blue Beetle to Aquaman 2 will be an epic franchise implosion the likes of which we’ve never seen and will likely never see again in Hollywood

It’s a inverse of the MCU phase 3. Like bizarro MCU. Too bad MCU is falling into the same trap as DCEU but I still have hope for the X-Men reboot.

Edited by eddyxx

@MCKillswitch123 Gigabombs everywhere.

Blue Beetle below Shazam 2 and in 5th place below GT and The Meg 2. Um Filme do Caraças in 8th place below Pôr do Sol's 3rd weekend. Strays in 13th (!!!!!!!!!!) and opening with little more than half of the already extremely low Cocaine Bear OW.

Oppenheimer is 1st place in box office but 2nd in tickets sold (Barbie is first in tickets).

• Like 1

Reading through here there were people expecting BB to open higher than 25M~ DOM? I thought the range months and months and months ago was 20M to 30M DOM. Seems like it came in on target.

Supes Legacy is so far away that who knows? Will depend on release date, how the marketplace is doing, reviews, etc. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Fuck me, it's gonna be an exhausting couple of years with all the DC discussions. 

I have no idea why everyone is so convinced Superman Legacy is going to be a disaster.

It won't be out for nearly two years and will having nothing to do with the DCEU.

If The Batman 2 and Joker 2 are likely to be successful, there's every reason to believe a brand new, fresh take on Superman will be too.

The only thing that'll really screw it is if James Gunn continues to insist on a confusing soft reboot. If he doesn't change his mind after all these DCEU disasters, then he deserves everything he gets.

Edited by FunkMiller

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

I have no idea why everyone is so convinced Superman Legacy is going to be a disaster.

It won't be out for nearly two years and will having nothing to do with the DCEU.

If The Batman 2 and Joker 2 are likely to be successful, there's every reason to believe a brand new, fresh take on Superman will be too.

The only thing that'll really screw it is if James Gunn continues to insist on a confusing soft reboot. If he doesn't change his mind after all these DCEU disasters, then he deserves everything he gets.

Also it'll be the first solo Superman movie with a new actor in over a decade. 

Some people on here love to revel in the doom and gloom and it's really grating.

• Like 1

For the next 4 years, WB's DC has Joker 2, Batman 2, Superman Legacy, Brave & the Bold, whereas Disney's MCU has DP3, KD, and SW. Despite being more interested in MCU than DC, I would say DC is in a better position to give billion-dollar movies than MCU, whereas the overall box office gross of MCU movies per year will remain higher than that of DCU because of bigger brand loyalty and because of more titles released per year.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Gigabombs everywhere.

Blue Beetle below Shazam 2 and in 5th place below GT and The Meg 2. Um Filme do Caraças in 8th place below Pôr do Sol's 3rd weekend. Strays in 13th (!!!!!!!!!!) and opening with little more than half of the already extremely low Cocaine Bear OW.

Oppenheimer is 1st place in box office but 2nd in tickets sold (Barbie is first in tickets).

Blue Beetle Blue Bombed. 👏

Strays were found by the side of the road. 👏

Um Filme do Caraças was a bomb do caraças. 👏

Oppenheimer 1st probably due to IMAX/4DX, I assume?

15 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Critics wise yes Flash has better scores but audience wise both Shazam 2 and Black Adam have better Cinemascore and verified RT reviews which are the only 2 reliable and verified scoring system out there. Even Metacritic user review have Black Adam higher than Flash. 

Cinemascore and verified RT are the least reliable scoring systems or we are gonna pretend that Jurassic World: Dominion was well received or Wolf Of Wall Street is poorly received by audiences? Metacritic is too influenced by trolls and doesn't have enough votes, imdb and letterboxd can be influenced only initially if it's some fanboy property, but in most cases it represents the actual reception when enough people watched the movie and initial troll votes lose all the influence. The Flash has higher score on both imdb and letterboxd than BA or S2.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Blue Beetle Blue Bombed. 👏

Strays were found by the side of the road. 👏

Um Filme do Caraças was a bomb do caraças. 👏

Oppenheimer 1st probably due to IMAX/4DX, I assume?

Oppenheimer was first due to IMAX (NOS) and Blue Diamond XPlace (Cineplace). GT was 4th due to 4DX and XVision (both formats are in NOS Cinemas; it is actually 100 tickets below Blue Beetle for the weekend).

Blue Beetle got the bad IMAX shows (1 PM and Midnight) and XL (UCI Premium Screen) so it wasn't enough to push it above GT money wise.

Nothing seems to be playing on XScreen (NOS) right now (a movie is certainly playing there, but it is not a movie set for the format so just the main screen has image with both side screens being turned off).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Cinemascore and verified RT are the least reliable scoring systems or we are gonna pretend that Jurassic World: Dominion was well received or Wolf Of Wall Street is poorly received by audiences? Metacritic is too influenced by trolls and doesn't have enough votes, imdb and letterboxd can be influenced only initially if it's some fanboy property, but in most cases it represents the actual reception when enough people watched the movie and initial troll votes lose all the influence. The Flash has higher score on both imdb and letterboxd than BA or S2.

fycD.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Zaslav was vindicated when he removed low watched HBOMAX shows when other streamers started doing, most notably Netflix, and now is being vindicated on writing off Batgirl

Netflix don't tend to remove its own shows. The shows removed from Netflix don't belong to them (at least, not completely).

Better examples are Disney or Paramount, who also need to remove their own shows. It's become too expensive to mantain their big libraries.

PS: Netflix cancels a lot, but its shows are still there.

Edited by Kon

3 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

I really hope Gunn backs down from the "soft reboot" idea.

I think he is inspired by the New52 reboot in DC comics, but that wasn't a good decision at the end.

It's a lot better to start the DCU movies from zero.

• Like 1

So, you all convinced me.  Cinema Day will be Blue Beetle.  I've now got 7 tickets to the Sunday night show at my Cinemark.

For Cinema Day there, it's $4 tickets, but no concessions discount (last year, concessions matched the price of tickets).  So, the deal has definitely been cut back, which may slightly hold down sales (although I still got 2 popcorn tubs)...