Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | #FRI - Equalizer $13.1M, Barbie $2.50M, GT $1.56M, Beetle $1.52M, Opp $1.32M, TMNT $1.04M

47 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I'm glad to see you found smth "nice" in Oppy's numbers). Especially for a person who earlier predicted much muuuuuch lower bo result for this movie.

Tbf, even after its opening, 900+ still seemed like a near impossible target. Don't think there's many people anywhere that would have realistically expected these numbers.

It's basically made as much as Dungeons and Dragons, The Flash and Dial Of Destiny put together (to name major flops from three of Uni's competitors). Those three movies also cost a combined 650 million, against Oppenheimer's 100. Hell, by the end of its run, it won't be far off those combined totals plus Haunted Mansion, if we wanna include another 150 million disaster. There's really no way to describe Oppenheimer's box office except for outstanding. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I can envision Denzel in a Nolan film and perhaps a Spielberg film but Scorsese and PTA, no chance!

No chance? PTA himself said he wanted to work with Denzel. Lol 

I don't need to see Denzel work with any of these directors, honestly. His legacy has long been solidified. But it would be really cool to see him work with Nolan, as a fan of both. 

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

Didn't he already?

I don't get the beef with JDW. He's a decent actor to me. I've watched him in 5 different projects and the only bad performance imo was Malcolm and Marie but to frank, nothing about that was good, not even Zendaya's performance. He just got good reviews for his performance in The Piano Lesson on Broadway and the movie adaptation is coming, likely next year. I'm looking forward to it. Great cast. 

Ummm, I noticed Deadline did not alter its 4 day estimate for Barbie. Do they think WB is overestimating again? 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

For all the doom and gloom over Meg 2 before release, its going to gross 400mil WW, AND beat Indy.

Could you imagine even suggesting that 3 months ago.🤣

Meg 2 grosses more than Flash and Shazam 2 combined. WB has been having an unexpected year, but not necessarily a bad one.

5 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

No chance? PTA himself said he wanted to work with Denzel. Lol 

I don't need to see Denzel work with any of these directors, honestly. His legacy has long been solidified. But it would be really cool to see him work with Nolan, as a fan of both. 

I don't get the beef with JDW. He's a decent actor to me. I've watched him in 5 different projects and the only bad performance imo was Malcolm and Marie but to frank, nothing about that was good, not even Zendaya's performance. He just got good reviews for his performance in The Piano Lesson on Broadway and the movie adaptation is coming, likely next year. I'm looking forward to it. Great cast. 

Ummm, I noticed Deadline did not alter its 4 day estimate for Barbie. Do they think WB is overestimating again? 

Yeah I don't get the JDW hate either. Some of it frankly just seems weirdly  mean spirited and personal. 

• Like 1

These are some pretty shite Labor Day numbers for pretty much all the holdovers honestly. I figured maybe studios were being conservative with Sunday estimates but no if anything they are kind of bullish. Even Barbenheimer didn’t hold all that well considering Labor Day is usually a small decrease or increase for holdovers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

These are some pretty shite Labor Day numbers for pretty much all the holdovers honestly. I figured maybe studios were being conservative with Sunday estimates but no if anything they are kind of bullish. Even Barbenheimer didn’t hold all that well considering Labor Day is usually a small decrease or increase for holdovers. 

It's likely because last weekend was also a "holiday weekend" with cinema day boosting numbers for most movies.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah I don't get the JDW hate either. Some of it frankly just seems weirdly  mean spirited and personal

Just spitballing some theories, not necessarily my own feelings about JDW:

• Pop culture is in an anti-nepotism moment with actors. Any actor deemed as getting "unfair" opportunities faces internet scorn.
    • John David is naturally compared to his father and to detractors, he doesn't measure up in talent or charisma.
    • He doesn't really resemble his dad and is noticeably shorter which shouldn't matter, but it probably does in an underlying way, as contempt for shorter men still seems socially acceptable for some reason. Not that JDW is even short by Hollywood actor standards, but it's maybe another (unconscious) way he might be seen as "less than" Denzel. IMO Kiefer Sutherland escaped that stigma by having a distinctive voice and different energy than his actor father.
    • But John David does have a similar speaking voice to his father and is IMO still faiirly nice looking, leaving the reality of him sort of frustrating to naysayers. Like, if Denzel was going to have an actor son, a "Denzel Jr", his fans probably wish he'd have either turned out a total Denzel clone in looks/talents, or else had been just as charismatic but in a wholly different way: brilliant at comedy or impressions, a breakout musical role, etc.
    • As it is, John David has done multiple roles where people think young/current Denzel would have been so much better.

tl;dr JDW gets hate from people who think Denzel is amazing and are so disappointed by how mid they find his son.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also hate on schlock all you want but fun genre shit like Out of Time and Man on Fire are better and more beloved than most of Brad Pitt's filmography. Solid chunk of Leo's too.

Out of Time is actually a hugely underrated thriller, seen it many times. Man on Fire is just brutal in a good way.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily hate JDW but I just find that he doesn't have enough charisma to carry movies. I actually didn't even know he was a nepo baby until after Tenet. I told my friend I had no idea why Nolan chose JDW as the lead. It was the only time I didn't understand Nolan's casting choice for the main character. Then my friend told me his father's Denzel Washington lol Nolan probably did like him but I honestly doubt he would've gotten all these lead roles if it weren't for nepotism.