kayumanggi

THE WILD ROBOT | 09.27.2024 | Universal | Chris Sanders to direct | official trailer on page 2

This looks amazing. The difference between Kung Fu Panda 4 and this is night and day.

I also wonder if Dean DeBlois's executive producer credit here is an indication that he was originally at least co-directing this with Sanders before he went off to do the Dragons live action remake for the main Universal studio.

Also, this movie is the end of an era in a way, as it'll be the last DreamWorks movie to be animated fully in-house in Glendale. You'd think Puss 2 being a surprise hit would motivate Universal to invest some actual money into the studio, but I guess not. Sad.

• Like 2

Great trailer, one of the best for a Hollywood animated movie in a long while. Considering how much Puss in Boots 2's legs were helped by adults discovering the movie as WOM spread beyond families, DreamWorks is smart to start right off with a trailer that should pique their interest. Also cool that they're releasing this in September, since Transformers One aside (currently scheduled one week before this, but there hasn't been much movement on that movie lately) it will be the only animated movie scheduled between Despicable Me 4 on July 3 and Moana 2 on November 27, so as long as it's decent it should be able to stay in theaters for a long while. 

I'm also wondering if this could score DreamWorks their first Oscar since Shrek. Pixar and Disney's only movies are questionable sequels, Beyond the Spider-Verse doesn't look like it's coming any time soon, and I'm not sure there are any other major auteurs with new animated movies this year...the field looks wide open for it to triumph if it's good enough.

• Like 2

There is the Piece by Piece movie (Lego-animated Pharrell docudrama) coming out in October, though I think that's going to be more a specialty play. It is though I think also the biggest obstacle here for awards recognition. It's a Focus joint, and Uni might be more inclined to campaign that over Wild Robot.

44 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Briefly delurking to say the trailer is great and so is the movie. I hope it gets a wonderful reception this fall. 

It had a test screening back in February on the 10th.

Were you lucky enough to check it out?

• Like 1

Looks good and animation still obviously looks impressive, but I think I've come to the point, now that every animated movie looks like Spider-Verse, that it's hard for me to really be wowed by this kind of painterly art style anymore. Guess it was bound to happen. 😕 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Briefly delurking to say the trailer is great and so is the movie. I hope it gets a wonderful reception this fall. 

Nice to see you around, Tele!

• Heart 1

I think the biggest hook for me visually is how it intently seems to be using color as a dramatic device. Idk, I probably sound dumb and uneducated trying to explain it but it's just interesting to watch the frames go from one color scheme to another.

I'm mostly just happy to finally have a kids movie trailer that doesn't emphasize snark and slapstick. I was afraid they would Dreamworks this up and it doesn't seem like that's the case. Given it is based off a popular book I have a little more hope that this is a serious-minded kids movie that the GA decides to embrace.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

The style here feels like a marked step up from Dreamworks' other 2D/3D hybrids. They've done a great job of capturing the modern storybook aesthetic and continuing to improve upon it, paving their own path that runs somewhere between the Spider-Verses and Arcanes of the world stylistically. I get the feeling this has a larger budget than The Last Wish, and certainly a lot more than Orion and the Dark. Just looks a lot more polished than either. It's sad to think Dreamworks is moving away from in-house production, but hopefully this is a worthy send-off to that era of their history.

I really hope this fulfills the tonal promise of the trailer, and is able to be relatively sophisticated and emotionally sincere kids' fare along the lines of fellow robot movies like Wall-E or The Iron Giant. The trailer almost completely omits the dialogue, so it's hard to say where that will lean, but I have some trust in Chris Sanders. I'm optimistic.

• Like 1

Sometimes if a good trailer comes out and seems to catch on, I'll check how it's doing on Facebook because trailers don't really catch on in any noticeable way there anymore unless it's a nerd property, and the main post for this trailer already has over 4 million views after only 19 years, which is a really impressive number over there for that short amount of time. Seems promising that this might be able to catch on more than most non-sequel animated movies have in theaters post-COVID...

35 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Sometimes if a good trailer comes out and seems to catch on, I'll check how it's doing on Facebook because trailers don't really catch on in any noticeable way there anymore unless it's a nerd property, and the main post for this trailer already has over 4 million views after only 19 years, which is a really impressive number over there for that short amount of time. Seems promising that this might be able to catch on more than most non-sequel animated movies have in theaters post-COVID...

19 hours?