XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

Reposting @Eric Danvers post here as its relevant here than in weekend thread. 

12 minutes ago, Eric Danvers said:

Re: Deadpool

See, I have doubts on that movie too. People insisted that Guardians 3 wouldn't get hurt by the last Marvel movies sucking, and it almost could have. It had awful presales up until the last minute, and I blame that entirely on Ant-Man 3 (and also Majors being an abusive asshole) destroying all fan morale right there. And the only reason it got to a respectable total (though still below Guardians 2, which nobody predicted until presales hit) was because it had some of the best WOM for a Marvel movie in ages.

Deadpool's in the same boat where the last movie came out an eternity ago, like Guardians 2 was, except those guys still made other appearances. The promise of Fox multiverse shenanigans might also get hurt by Doctor Strange 2 and the "fool me once" mentality, as well as being pretty underwhelming. When the press is hyping up the return of Jennifer Garner as Elektra as one of your big selling points, that's a little concerning.

And even with Wolverine, the big difference between him and the Spider-Men was that Maguire and Garfield were coming off incomplete franchises and still had their stories to tell to get people hyped. Hugh Jackman was in movies that grossed way less than those films and he had probably the greatest send-off for any superhero character ever with Logan. Getting him back for cheap fanservice won't fly with Marvel fans.

I guess O/U 300M could still happen, but I think that will disappoint big time and won't help the MCU's state at all.

39 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

How lol? Every online interaction metrics shows that Deadpool is going to be massive. It has more interactions on twitter than any previous MCU project. 

Its still an R rated film and will be held down by that. I see nothing that will boost it beyond DP2. It'll be one of those (many) films with high interactions but average results. I still think matching DP2 is a big strike.

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean they had MCU jokes in Deadpool 2 so I can only imagine there'll be some in 3

This is also a thing I don't get though. People are acting like this is a deep MCU film suddenly. Its not. Its a fucking comedy spoof of superhero films with an underlying good film to back it up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

This is also a thing I don't get though. People are acting like this is a deep MCU film suddenly. Its not. Its a fucking comedy spoof of superhero films with an underlying good film to back it up.

I don't think people are thinking it's going to be radically different in tone. But Deadpool with a bigger budget and potentially all the X-Men at its disposal has a lot of potential.

49 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Similar here, let of upside. That July date is prime choice and Deadpool has pretty significant four-quad appeal.

I'll have to see if my kids want to see it:).  My worry is that Deadpool's audience has aged up just like Marvel's has, and an even older Wolverine is not gonna bring that age down.

So, it could be skewed heavily 25+ and 40+...which just holds down overall possible DOM box office.

Twitter has been moving to more of the same age skew, so "top Twitter" means less to me than it did.

And it goes without saying, a comedy that doesn't end up funny ends up having a big opening and then disappearing, ala Hangover 3.  

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'll have to see if my kids want to see it:).  My worry is that Deadpool's audience has aged up just like Marvel's has, and an even older Wolverine is not gonna bring that age down.

So, it could be skewed heavily 25+ and 40+...which just holds down overall possible DOM box office.

Twitter has been moving to more of the same age skew, so "top Twitter" means less to me than it did.

And it goes without saying, a comedy that doesn't end up funny ends up having a big opening and then disappearing, ala Hangover 3.  

This is why I emphasize the quality has to be there.

As for the kids, they're more of a 5th quad to me. Under 25 and over, I dunno, 13-18 is a big gap. Deadpool is still relatively fresh even toward younger audiences keeping in mind that it's essentially as "old" as Endgame was relative to the first Avengers. And unlike Guardians, there's not a prior connective story to make it feel somewhat anti-climactic (I have always felt that Infinity and Endgame did that in part for GOTG3.)

DP3 will skew older for sure, but so did Top Gun: Maverick, Barbie and Oppenheimer. I don't think that's necessarily a detriment toward potential especially in a year that lacks any clear event films beside this one right now.

The comedy angle is a big part of why I think it will be more resistant toward fatigue of poor comic book movies. If anything, Reynolds has shown he and that team know how to lean into that and make it a strength.

But we'll see... nobody knows what the final product will be. I just think it's way too early to doubt the film based on knee-jerk reactions to The Marvels' performance, but the internet is gonna do that no matter what so all we can do is sit back and wait. 😄

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TommyOliver said:

Deadpool is gonna be massive. There’s some weird undertones to people trying doubt that movie. Lol

Exactly. Like the MCU has proven over and over that cameos gets butts into seats. I won't doubt them (Unless the movie is hot garbage) 

regardless of quality OW is going to be huge 

Deadpool is going to do well. Some predictions are just set some up for disappointment.

1.3b ? Expecting 600m domestic or something?

No china.

R rated 

It's not going to be a joker  OS  I. That movie attracted non - typical CBM audience.

Best I see is 1.1b .

This will open to like 150m OW and you will see weird meltdowns .

Think OS total will not be far off from days of future past /MOM. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Exactly. Like the MCU has proven over and over that cameos gets butts into seats. I won't doubt them (Unless the movie is hot garbage) 

regardless of quality OW is going to be huge 

Huge relative to what? Because I see it at around 150m and will go higher or lower depending on reception.

8 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

Huge relative to what? Because I see it at around 150m and will go higher or lower depending on reception.

I guess I'm still in the "prove it" mode - I'd see it matching the 2nd movie (as some of its audience has still aged out of the antics, while I don't know if 25 and unders will be in, so loss of audience offsets ticket inflation)...so I'd post $125M as my expected OW number.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reed121 said:

Relative to social media impressions. They blow past any previous MCU project and one could argue Twitter is no longer in its peak. 

As i posted a few weeks ago, Hugh Jackman's announcement on twitter has 1.3M likes and the next closest MCU project that has that many likes is the Wakanda Forever trailer with 1.2M likes. Social medial interactions doesn't equal tickets' sales but it defintely shows anticipation. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

20 minutes of the movie was them FIXING a ship. And it was F*cking amazing. This is the best MCU film and I refuse to believe otherwise. 

the first Avengers is a banger. The people who go “it hasn’t aged well” are talking bullshit. Aged well compared to what?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

the first Avengers is a banger. The people who go “it hasn’t aged well” are talking bullshit. Aged well compared to what?

does it have some questionable action scenes that didn't age well . Yes sure 

But

Avengers has the best screenplay in the MCU. Some of the best dialogue in the MCU to this day . Civil war close second.

May not be my favorite but top 5 MCU movie for me.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TommyOliver said:

Deadpool is gonna be massive. There’s some weird undertones to people trying doubt that movie. Lol

Which weird undertones?

People are just throwing buzzwords around to make the movie a big hit - Cameos!!!, X-Men!!!, Multiverse!!!, Social Media!!!. 

All of the aspects failed in other movies and if you clump them together it wont make 1b.

And now it also has to overcome MCU fatigue and an R-Rating.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John Marston said:

I agree - I think it actually aged better and can watch it any day over and over again, which puts it in my Top 2 of the MCU, tied with Infinity War...

It tells a tight, great story with a great script and great acting...that's priceless...