XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

...why would it need to "overcome" an R rating when there have been two R rated Deadpool movies that did great?

For the 1,1b+ predictions here it would need a lot more audiences and there is 1 r-rated movie 1b movie and several dozens 1b non-r-rated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

People are forgetting Joker did $1bn in 2019. I'm not saying Deadpool 3 will do it but it's not impossible

Joker is the only R rated film that has done 1 billion. Oppenheimer came close but didn't do it. It's so rare for an R rated film to even get within 300M of 1 billion, that's exactly why people are doubtful that Deadpool 3 can hit that number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Joker is the only R rated film that has done 1 billion. Oppenheimer came close but didn't do it. It's so rare for an R rated film to even get within 300M of 1 billion, that's exactly why people are doubtful that Deadpool 3 can hit that number.

I thought they’re doing a rerelease next month?

I would point out that all franchises go through this period of downturn. It happened to Star Trek, it happened to Batman and it happened to Doctor Who so Marvel Studios' downturn isn't unusual. The dumbest thing to do would be to fire everyone, cancel everything or close down Marvel Studios, the correct thing to do which is likely happening now is reevaluate and make changes.

6 hours ago, Masketta Man said:

Deadpool is giving me big MoM vibes, all those cameos and scenarios floating in the internet that likely won't be on the finished movie.

Chalkboard-scratchingly annoying is how I describe Deadpool, but a lot of people love him. 

12 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

does it have some questionable action scenes that didn't age well . Yes sure 

But

Avengers has the best screenplay in the MCU. Some of the best dialogue in the MCU to this day . Civil war close second.

May not be my favorite but top 5 MCU movie for me.

They need more proven TV writers to write their movies. 

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I would point out that all franchises go through this period of downturn. It happened to Star Trek, it happened to Batman and it happened to Doctor Who so Marvel Studios' downturn isn't unusual. The dumbest thing to do would be to fire everyone, cancel everything or close down Marvel Studios, the correct thing to do which is likely happening now is reevaluate and make changes.

I mean, that's pretty much how Doctor Who/Batman/Star Trek got out of their funks (even if JJ's "savior of Star Trek" status was incredibly short lived and CBS All Access squandered the opportunity of a hard reboot and it took them another half decade to dig out of that hole). 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

• Community Manager
4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

30 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I mean, that's pretty much how Doctor Who/Batman/Star Trek got out of their funks (even if JJ's "savior of Star Trek" status was incredibly short lived and CBS All Access squandered the opportunity of a hard reboot and it took them another half decade to dig out of that hole). 

They all took a break to get out of their funk.

Doctor Who had a 16 year break.

Star Trek sorta had a 4 year break (between ending of Enterprise and the Star Trek reboot movie) but 7 year break between the final TNG movie and the reboot movie.

There was an 8 year break between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Star Trek sorta had a 4 year break (between ending of Enterprise and the Star Trek reboot movie) but 7 year break between the final TNG movie and the reboot movie.

DP3 being the only MCU movie next year is about as good a “break” as there will be. 

44 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Yeah, no, the studio is not going to shut down for a decade.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't really think that 7 year movie break nails it. Star Trek took only a 4 year break (in practice probably more like 2-3 years given cycles of attention) but it also pretty clearly fired/retired the creative team behind the previous 20 years of Star Trek. They then rebooted with a pretty hard "type of content" shift (instead of having moderately budgeted "Star Trek Shows" with spinoff films, it was a new big budgeted film franchise that showcased 1960s characters). The fact that there hadn't been a recent movie (nor a movie with a post-TNG cast) clearly helped clear decks but being able to sell a clean break + well executed restart (even if divisive with superfans) seems separate from pure timing issues. 

37 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah, no, the studio is not going to shut down for a decade.

Sure, and Spider-Man shows the upside version of that path. Of course, I didn't mention Batman whose Reeves relaunch (plus Phoenix's Joker) shows parallel paths working. 

You can't functionally "fire everyone and reboot" but I think this initial quote just undersells how hard people worked to relaunch these brands and that's clearly harder to do with current stuff ongoing.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce