XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

They should do what they did with the Neflix shows like Daredevil:Have them take place in the same universe as the Movies, but don't tie them togehter closley. A couple of guest appreances, yes, but don't make them interdrpenendt.

The Marvels made no real offort to explain who Ms Marvel and  Monica were to people who had not seen the TV shoes was a mistake.

Exactly - Easter egg/cameo a movie with your most wildly popular D+ character...and do the same with your least popular movie character in a D+ show...and that's it...

I really didn’t understand why people say the drop from series 1 to 2 for Loki as some disaster. Made perfect sense in the context of an early D+ MCU show and todays context.

High quality and an extremely good cast. Shows like this is what D+ content should be focusing around and hopefully the move to show runners helps reflects this as Loki has always had a very clear direction.

Loki will legit be a pull for whatever film he is in next.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

GOTG3 doing so well absolutely does nothing for the MCU films after it. The movie is just too separated from the rest of the MCU in terms of story.

I'm pretty sure that, following the events of GOTG3, Star-lord will be one of the leads in the next Avengers movie. That's not nothing.

38 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I really didn’t understand why people say the drop from series 1 to 2 for Loki as some disaster. Made perfect sense in the context of an early D+ MCU show and todays context.

High quality and an extremely good cast. Shows like this is what D+ content should be focusing around and hopefully the move to show runners helps reflects this as Loki has always had a very clear direction.

Loki will legit be a pull for whatever film he is in next.

Loki would have been a pull without a TV Series. He was already a favorite.

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I'm pretty sure that, following the events of GOTG3, Star-lord will be one of the leads in the next Avengers movie. That's not nothing.

Question is how well the GOTG gang will work without James GUnn around.

11 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Am really not sure. It’s setup that they could all be back, a few or none. That ending was setting it up that any the actors could come back. Issue is around getting them signed up.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Exactly - Easter egg/cameo a movie with your most wildly popular D+ character...and do the same with your least popular movie character in a D+ show...and that's it...

I will modify my coments. the TV Show/Movie two way street is a very uneven two way street.

It's safe that people who watch the TV Shows also go to the movies, but not vice versa. A lot of people who go to the movies are not Disney Plus subscribers.

38 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Am really not sure. It’s setup that they could all be back, a few or none. That ending was setting it up that any the actors could come back. Issue is around getting them signed up.

Correct me if I remember it wrong, but haven’t they literally ended the movie with Star-Lord on earth and that famous “Star-Lord will return” credit thingie at the end? That spells out to me that he’ll be in the next Avengers movie. I could be wrong but I doubt it, they need their most famous characters now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Correct me if I remember it wrong, but haven’t they literally ended the movie with Star-Lord on earth and that famous “Star-Lord will return” credit thingie at the end? That spells out to me that he’ll be in the next Avengers movie. I could be wrong but I doubt it, they need their most famous characters now.

Honestly considering all the stings totally thrown away by Disney at this point am not sure that’s 100%. He does return home but that doesn’t mean the actor is currently signed up for anything even if they used the end title.

11 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

heard the loki s2 finale gives them an opening to get rid of khan if they need to

Without spoilers: kinda. If they really, really wanted to there is a way they could make an excuse to brush him aside, but it's not like it's written specifically with that in mind.

It also seems like we have a date for What If, December 22nd, with daily new episodes up through the end of the month.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Eternals, Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder, and Quantumania killed the franchise

Not entirely. I would even say that's just the tip of the problem.

I think that in truth, the mediocre, unexciting Disney+ shows that they keep churning out killed the franchise.

That's what killed the MCU. Not the substandard movies. Marvel got away with releasing mediocre movies in the first 3 phases. But they never diluted their content. Also they were building up to something. Not anymore.

For the record I really enjoyed Loki season 2. Hope they continue down that path more

• Like 1

The B Cinemascores tell the real story. Whether you personally agree or not most people did not think that Marvel released a bunch of substandard movies in phase 1,2&3, hence why there is only one B+ Cinemascore from 2011 before Eternals crapped the bed. Now two of their films in one year have awful B-cinemscores. Not even B+ but a B. That's a drop in quality. That's a drop in confidence. You can't ignore that and say that it had no effect.

• Like 1

It’s the movies moreso than the TV shows.

Those naturally reach a much bigger audience, and have more viewership, so quality is more important.

Tying them together (Wandavision with Multiverse of Madness, The Marvels with Wandavision, Ms.Marvel, Secret Invasion), and probably Cap 4 with Falcon and the Winter Solider, etc.) expecting large portions of the audience to have watched the shows is where they dragged down the movies and brand. If they were kept

entirely separate like the Netflix era the TV shows being mid wouldn’t matter.

The movies themselves have had an observable dip in quality. 

MCU had one B range Cinemascore for 15 years in Thor.

In the last 2 years alone from 2021-2023 they’ve had 4 in Multiverse of Madness, The Marvels, Thor love and Thunder, and Eternals. 2 of those being linked to D+ shows.

Edited by Valencia
  • Like 1

The biggest issue was following up Thanos with the multiverse arc.  It’s incredibly hard to follow for a lot of people, the stakes just aren’t there with different variants of characters and there just hasn’t been any build up to connect the movies.  And I think it has also contributed to quality issues as simpler story telling is often frankly better and easier to execute.

• Like 3

I don't think MCU current status can be blamed in a few mediocre-to-bad movies (Multiverse of Madness, Eternals, Love and Thunder, Quantumania). While those clearly hurt the Marvel brand I think the Disney+ and the multiple characters and story lines being introduce play a much bigger role.

The Disney+ shows IMO really diluted the Marvel brand, not only did they make their brand accessible at home for "free" making their movies less of an event but they also asked too much for their not die hard fans to watch and follow those. Don't get me wrong, I loved some of those shows (WandaVision, Loki, MoonKnight) but even as a huge Marvel fan my excitement when the next MCU project hits has lessened. 

The other big problem is the amount of characters and future plots that they are introducing while not really explaining their main saga (the Multiverse). The Infinity Saga worked because each movie was like a piece of a puzzle and each movie built upon the previous ones until Infinity War-Endgame epic conclusion, some of those movies may not have been the best but because everything was so well build it payed off at the end. I don't really feel that with this phase, too many characters are being introduced, too many stories are being hinted for the future and rarely one of them is resolved within the next year(s). I mean the post credit scenes for Shang Chi, Eternals, Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder or Quantumania will likely not be continued until at least, if lucky, 2026!! Same with some characters, who knows when we'll see Kate Bishop, MoonKnight, She Hulk, Wanda, Vision, Thor, Shang Chi or the Eternals back? Without going into spoilers, they all have story lines opened. 

• Like 1