XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, is Jonathan Majors still starring as Kang?  If so, anything at all is possible for the movie - see this summer's The Flash...

and, presumably unfairly, Aquaman 2. The Depp-Heard stuff people published from the trial pretty literally say "WB is very concerned about Amber Heard/Depp controversy dragging down the film." 

Audiences weren’t too hot on MoM, but I’ve always maintained that’s largely because Marvel made the mistake of giving people the wrong kinds of expectations for it. They attached the initial teaser to the post-credits for NWH, and the movie was marketed as though it was going to be this big event film that would deliver more of what people loved about NWH. That had to have left a mark on the movie’s legs. 

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Audiences weren’t too hot on MoM, but I’ve always maintained that’s largely because Marvel made the mistake of giving people the wrong kinds of expectations for it. They attached the initial teaser to the post-credits for NWH, and the movie was marketed as though it was going to be this big event film that would deliver more of what people loved about NWH. That had to have left a mark on the movie’s legs. 

Eh, I don't think that was the issue. I think a bigger issue was the eighty billion rumors about who was in it and for what, especially with regards to the Illuminati. WandaVision had similar insane theories, like the random mention of a scientist leading to weeks of speculation that it was Reed Richards, and the absolutely bullshit Mephisto stuff that had no basis in reality.

Edited by SpiderByte

My guess here though I can't prove it:

Captain Marvel was going to be the lead of Kang Dynasty; they saw The Marvels box office & realizes that Kang Dynasty will flop even harder than the marvels as they've totally messed up the character, so they're changing the script & so Destin Daniel stepped down as Brie Larson is no longer the lead & now the news that MW is writing the new script. This could be a good news for MCU fans.

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Does everyone think now every single sequel will have a The Marvels type drop just because they're also sequels?

People will keep insisting on everything MCU bombing until Deadpool 3 opens, and once it does, people will either use its sub-par numbers to justify everything else bombing in the future or ignore its big numbers by saying Deadpool was never really part of the MCU and continue to insist that everything else will bomb...

This thread is in for a rough couple of years.

3 hours ago, Masketta Man said:

MoM by all accounts should had made 1b with the opening it had, it just melted down after the first weekend and I'd say it was the point where people started caring less about the MCU.

I'll agree with that much, although the reason was more misleading marketing than bad quality imho. Then the bad quality came with Quantumania...

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

People saying an Avengers film will come in under The Marvels is Peak BOT Delusion Brain at work. Why this reaction to Waldron being involved because of the reaction to Multiverse of Madness, but not to Raimi, the director?

I guess because Raimi is more proven in general and has a distinct style. Still though, Waldron did create a couple of good TV shows in Heels and Loki, so he has potential.  MoM being somewhat divisive doesn't help him though.

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

So real question here:

After both the Russos and the Infinity War/Endgame writers made a massive dud in the form of Gray Man... would you want them to return to direct Secret Wars (and possibly Kang Dynasty)?

Yes, they've proven themselves with MCU, so why not? Everyone has duds to their names, it doesn't invalidate all their good work for the MCU. I'd honestly take them in a heartbeat.

Edited by Arlborn

Not sure how to feel about Waldron staying on as a writer. I am a fan of DS;MOM. In fact I watched it again last night and still really like it. But that is mostly because of Raimi's direction. The script is a mess  but Raimi's style and flair still  really make the movie a fun watch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Worth noting this was not the reaction to Raimi being up for Kang Dynasty, but the person who wrote the same movie Raimi directed and you're all suddenly about to riot?

Raimi's direction was the best part of MoM. Waldron's boilerplate script was the worst part.

Hope this helps.

I think sometimes we are too hard on blockbuster screenwriters. They are being pulled in a million different directions. It's no wonder any blockbuster turns out good. Don't get me wrong, some writers are just not cut out for dealing with the director and studio stuff in the blockbuster realm. Chris Terrio, for instance, should never be allowed to get near another blockbuster screenplay after Batman v Superman and Rise of Skywalker. 

Michael Waldron is still a question mark. Sure Multiverse of Madness screenplay sucked but it didn't suck enough for me to believe that he doesn't deserve another shot. Maybe he'll crush the Avengers movies? We'll see. They don't need a genius screenwriter, just one that can handle all of the blockbuster nonsense well enough.

• Like 3

Guess they going to recast Kang if he is found guilty.

Raimi directing is cool.

Waldron writing not one but both avengers  is doubling down and crazy to me.

Loki S1 also had a weak script carried by solid acting and good visuals.

Didn't write S2 .

Enough of DS2 script has been said.

He has very little regard for continuity from the little I've seen.

18 minutes ago, Zak said:

I think sometimes we are too hard on blockbuster screenwriters. They are being pulled in a million different directions. It's no wonder any blockbuster turns out good. Don't get me wrong, some writers are just not cut out for dealing with the director and studio stuff in the blockbuster realm. Chris Terrio, for instance, should never be allowed to get near another blockbuster screenplay after Batman v Superman and Rise of Skywalker. 

Michael Waldron is still a question mark. Sure Multiverse of Madness screenplay sucked but it didn't suck enough for me to believe that he doesn't deserve another shot. Maybe he'll crush the Avengers movies? We'll see. They don't need a genius screenwriter, just one that can handle all of the blockbuster nonsense well enough.

Funny you brought up Chris Terrio, because not only was BvS severely cut down for theaters, but TRoS suffered from exactly what you’re referring to. By all accounts, the production on the movie was a complete mess, and the script was constantly being rewritten. It’s probably not fair to pin all the blame on Terrio. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Guess they going to recast Kang if he is found guilty.

Raimi directing is cool.

Waldron writing not one but both avengers  is doubling down and crazy to me.

Loki S1 also had a weak script carried by solid acting and good visuals.

Didn't write S2 .

Enough of DS2 script has been said.

He has very little regard for continuity from the little I've seen.

Yeah that's what worries me about Waldron.

You have an ongoing universe here that's filled with moving parts and has been since 2008. You can't just drop everything you don't like about it.

Doing so leads to a Last Jedi + Rise of Skywalker repeat.

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Funny you brought up Chris Terrio, because not only was BvS severely cut down for theaters, but TRoS suffered from exactly what you’re referring to. By all accounts, the production on the movie was a complete mess, and the script was constantly being rewritten. It’s probably not fair to pin all the blame on Terrio. 

There is no good cut of BvS and I'm not putting ALL of the blame on him for either film. Nowhere in my post do I even imply such a thing. 

5 minutes ago, Zak said:

There is no good cut of BvS and I'm not putting ALL of the blame on him for either film. Nowhere in my post do I even imply such a thing. 

Just pointing out the irony in your observation that people are too hard on screenwriters. I don’t really feel like fighting about this. 

Edited by WittyUsername