Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

How would you determine worth of a MCU project to D+? If they stop putting new marvel content on D+ they will face cancellations of D+ subscriptions & so they'll lose money & that's how you determine worth of a MCU project to D+. 

i would love to know how Disney, or any streaming service, determines how much content is worth to its platform, because the whole business model feels like a house of cards to me. Either way, I don’t think marvels will be worth 350m to D+

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

How would you determine worth of a MCU project to D+? If they stop putting new marvel content on D+ they will face cancellations of D+ subscriptions & so they'll lose money & that's how you determine worth of a MCU project to D+. 

That's the thing, it's hard to quantify.

Also, from the Deadline article on Wakanda Forever:

"Global streaming/TV revenues of $170M include what Disney paid itself to put the movie on Disney+."

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Sheesh this aged well 

I'm the only one in this entire forum who said that The Marvels could do less than 300m WW as I knew there are multiple factors working against this movie.

Edited by Willowra

1 minute ago, DInky said:

That's the thing, it's hard to quantify.

Also, from the Deadline article on Wakanda Forever:

"Global streaming/TV revenues of $170M include what Disney paid itself to put the movie on Disney+."

Obviously Disney will pay to itself as they have their own streaming service now.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Marvels flop in itself is crazy, but it especially stings because it's a sequal to 1.1B movie. This is complete rejection. Feige and company completely miscalculated this movie

Definitely locked for biggest drop off ever, Alice 2 had a good run though. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

Obviously Disney will pay to itself as they have their own streaming service now.

Yes, but it also makes that 170M number BS when we try to determine if the movie made a profit.

Edited by DInky

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Personally, feel like we're just in for an underwhelming holiday season with no breakouts in sight. Barbenheimer, Taylor, and FNAF ended up filling our surprise sensation quota for 2023.

I'm betting on Wish being a breakout hit

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The Marvels flop in itself is crazy, but it especially stings because it's a sequal to 1.1B movie. This is complete rejection. Feige and company completely miscalculated this movie

Their hardcore fans(most of them) are highly insecure of Captain Marvel & GA especially females no longer care about this character as they are too late to party(this movie should've been released in 2022 when character was fresh in the minds of female audiences). So rejection was imminent. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm not arguing with you just questioning why you think Deadline would want to soften the blow for Disney/Marvel?  

By the way, I don't think it can get $55M. 

It's not softening the blow for Disney - it's softening the obvious miss by Deadline (so this way, no one says "you were WAY off")...

26 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Do you know how many cancellations D+ will face if they stop putting new Marvel content on D+? Atleast 25m subscriptions WW, which means annual loss of $2B. With 5-6 MCU releases per year each project is worth 200m to D+ alone. Yes The Marvels is theatrical bomb but it still won't lose money.

Lol...this is not how things work.  

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It isn't like some people didn't see it coming but they were shut down with the usual sexist this sexist that labelling. Now that women absolutely rejected it no one can say it was incels and chuds who tanked it. When Barbie became a female-driven phenomenon, anyone could see that The Marvels was not going to fly with that audience cause it had nothing in common with Barbie. The Marvels is what Hollywood thinks women want but they don't - it's still debatable why Hollywood thinks that, is it a wrong information or an attempt to change female viewing habits - while Barbie is what they want. This was the miscalculation of the century. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Lol...this is not how things work.  

Then explain me how things work. As per a survey around 10% people have subscribed to D+ only because of D+ mcu series and around 40% people have subscribed to D+ because of Marvel content. They will obviously lose subscribers & hence billions of dollars per year if they stop putting new MCU content to D+ & this is how you determine a MCU project worth.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's not softening the blow for Disney - it's softening the obvious miss by Deadline (so this way, no one says "you were WAY off")...

Oh.. sorry I read that wrong.  Yeah, they hadn't fully caught up to speed on how terrible previews were until like Wednesday when the trackers here had the number between $6-7M for weeks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

It isn't like some people didn't see it coming but they were shut down with the usual sexist this sexist that labelling. Now that women absolutely rejected it no one can say it was incels and chuds who tanked it. When Barbie became a female-driven phenomenon, anyone could see that The Marvels was not going to fly with that audience cause it had nothing in common with Barbie. The Marvels is what Hollywood thinks women want but they don't - it's still debatable why Hollywood thinks that, is it a wrong information or an attempt to change female viewing habits - while Barbie is what they want. This was the miscalculation of the century. 

I won't call MCU hardcore fans who rejected this movie as sexists but most of them I think are insecure of Captain Marvel as these same nerds don't have any problem with other female characters like Shuru, Black Widow & Wanda. Females not giving shit about The Marvels is because Marvel studios didn't give shit about the character after Endgame, they should've released it when there was some interest in this character.

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

In retrospect it does make sense, but i still can't believe Barbie was such a hit when Ken was not really a love interest to barbie (which i argue women like to see a love story) and the movie itself was kinda hating on men. I think it's a miracle Barbie was such a success, but i guess once things got rolling with the huge OW, nothing could stop the hype machine